Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit or Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:54 PM
I contracted on a FIT and was told it would be in "tomorrow". Got the VIN and everything - paid cash and included an extra 600 to sweeten the deal. Tomorrow turned into "next week", then by "the end of the month". Could not tell me where it was at any given time, but was always certain about when it would be available (somehow..).

I can't stand this kinda crap and really got turned off. Got my money back and began shopping (again). After owning 3 Celica's, 1 4Runner, 1 truck, 1 Taco 1 Tundra and a Turbo-charged MR2, I'd say that I'm fairly loyal to Toyota. I was never treated this way at any Toyota dealership (although I'm sure that many stories abound..).

I came this close to buying a Yaris but didn't like the looks and the medeocre reviews.

Finally - I found an 06 Civic Coupe with 1500 miles on it for sale by a retired navy officer that was tall (I think he found the car uncomfortable after driving his long commute..).

Got a good deal (saved 700 bucks overall), didn't have to hassle with BS from dealer and got a good car to boot. Not the car I wanted, but am getting used to it and feel that it worked out better (for me).

I don't need the cargo room, I have a Suburban and 4Runner; The gas mileage is about the same; the Civic has a little more power but is no Celica GTS.. However - I can swap stock Civic Si parts over from brakes and the suspension and expect the car will be a good handler and be good commuter car for my curvy 35 mile commute..

One thing the Civic does not have is this forum... - This board really rocks, especially for a young one.

Keep it UP!

Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 PM
I heard about the Fit about the time my '95 Civic CX hatch started to show it's age. I was really interested until I saw the gas mileage figures, then I started to look hard at another Civic. I ended up with a 2006 4dr EX with manual transmission. In addition to the gas mileage, I was put off by the incredibly juvenile marketing of the Fit. After I bought the Civic I started hearing about limited availability of the Fit, and difficulty getting cars with a manual transmission (I've never owned an automatic, and I'm not about to start).

I love the sunroof and interior on the Civic, I think it's a better highway car than the Fit would have been (most of my mileage is highway), and I'm getting 34-40 mpg with all the power I need. 80 miles an hour up to the Eisenhower Tunnel (6% grade topping out at 11,000 feet above sea level) is plenty for me and more than the Colorado State Patrol likes to see.

I still like hatchbacks and the flexible interior of the Fit is truly impressive, but I can haul a lot of stuff in my Civic with the back seat folded down.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Roger that - I think that the next generation Fit will likely exploit the newer engine technology and I am looking forward to seeing it, however my needs were a bit more urgent than that...

The one Civic that I have owned was a 1st gen CRX and I loved the simplicity of it. Too bad I gave it to my nephew who crashed it after 1 week (@250k mi). It still scooted and just got regular maintenance (+1 alt.).

C Ya @ 8thCivic.com!

Old 09-23-2006, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ladsfamily
I keep hearing about "paint on Hondas". What's up with that? Peel? Fade? Chip? Is there a good wax to use? I've ordered a red one to come in October. Will I regret that?
Here is what I heard from my Honda salesman.

It depends where you live.

In Indiana and most places the sun is not that strong to destroy your Honda paint in a hurry. So you can get any color you want but some do show dirt and water marks a bit more than others. Black is tough to keep clean looking while light colored metallics are fairly clean looking most of the time even when dirty. White and Silver are very very popular for US sales.

In Hawaii we are too near to the equator for the same rules to apply and within about 3 years most Hondas that are white will tend to start getting chalky once the clear coat is lost. When I look at used Hondas that are left outdoors and about 3 years old this tends to be true. Light colored metallics are quite durable in the sun and are cooler as well. Dark colors are hard to keep clean looking, and dark blue, red and black are the slowest sellers for the civics.

So wash your car often each week or two and garage when you can or cover your car and wax about every 4 months or so for best results. My black Maxima is about 13 years old and doing OK with only a little paint trouble.

I looked at the Fit sport and 4 Door Civic. The Fit Sport AT was a 5 or 6 month wait and about the same price as a 2006 Civic EX 4 Dr AT which we waited one week for. End of story.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the response! I live in Missouri. Hot summers (3 months or so) but not all year like Hawaii. I 've read alot here about where the bumpers meet the car the paint will peel. My salesman said they would take of it if it happens to my car. I can park in a parking garage. That's a good idea. My lot is closer, but still...I can part at the garage and take the free shuttle to fairly near my office. Why didn't I think of that?? duh. At home it will also be in a garage. Hopefully that will add life to the paint!!

Old 09-27-2006, 03:38 PM
My daughter has had her silver MT FIT for two months. I have money holding a white MT Fit if it will ever come in. It's been 3 1/2 months already. I have started to consider the 2007 Civic EX Coupe. Yes, same 40 mpg highway but I'll lose 3-4 miles/g in town. The cost is almost 20% more for the civic. I LOVE THE DASH on the civic. Yesterday I drove the fit on the freeway - terrible gas mileage - although I had it up to 80 and even 90 for at least 10-15" at a time.
Lots of energy in that little box! I might have to wait and get my FIT!