Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Suzuki Aerio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Suzuki Aerio?

I'm at the test-drive stage and just got into a Fit yesterday. I'm also looking at the Suzuki Aerio (5 door) which is discontinued this year. I was surprised at how smooth the Aerio drove. I didn't want to like it... The Fit is really cool and surprisingly spacious but it seemed "buzzy." Maybe that's just a smaller car sound. I drive a VW Cabrio now that, like most VWs, is falling apart. The engine will last forever but the doors, seats, a/c, all problematic. I know that most people will tell me that the Suzuki won't hold up as well (mechanically) or have the same resale value as a Honda. Price is an issue though. Anyone own (has owned) an Aerio or know anyone who does that could help with some real experiential advice? I've never been a "new car buyer" so this is new territory for me. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I had an '04 AerioSX, they have alot more power but SUCK for MPG.. and there is NO aftermarket support. www.aeriostyle.com if you have any other questions!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
I just checked Consumer Reports for you, it said:
"The Aerio is available in sedan and four-door wagon/hatchback versions. Power comes from a 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine. The ride is very stiff and uncomfortable. Handling is secure but not nimble. The Aerio features a tall roofline that increases headroom, offers easy access, and improves outward visibility. The digital instrument display was replaced for 2005. The Aerio received a Poor rating in the IIHS side-crash test, even with its standard side air bags."

It also recieved a reliability rating of "good" and owner satisfaction and predicted depreciation ratings of "poor".

There are no ratings for the Fit yet due to it being a new model but Hondas always rate excellent in these things (I expect the Fit will be no different). Unless there is a substantial price difference I would buy the Fit. The Fit is my first Honda and I would buy it again no question. Also, don't expect much of a discount off of sticker price if any on a Fit. I paid $400 over sticker for mine.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 PM
I owned an Aerio as well, and the resale value is definitely not there! I would strongly urge you to buy Honda. I did and am very very happy!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChrisG
I owned an Aerio as well, and the resale value is definitely not there! I would strongly urge you to buy Honda. I did and am very very happy!
yeah I bought my AerioSX '04 with 10k miles 5spd.. all the goodies.. for $8500TTL.. it was worth only like 13k though

Old 08-22-2006, 09:26 PM
my dad has an '05 aerio sx hatchback ice blue automatic and he usually gets 30~40mpg

Old 08-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Suzuki Aerio

Is that with AWD? That's pretty impressive!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:27 AM
actually he doesnt have the awd on his aerio

Old 08-24-2006, 05:40 PM
I've got two Aerios, an 05 sedan and and 05 SX. Tires are good on the sedan at 15000 miles, however, brake pads were paper thin and I changed them today. The SX tires lasted 19000 miles, left rear wheel was out of alignment, I think from the factory. Put new P205/55R-15 Yokohamas V4S couple of days ago and an alignment, car rides better than ever. This tire is rated at 149 mph, 60,000 miles and cost $76 each, a real bargain at Just Tires. The SX brake pads on front end lasted 19000 miles. I replaced both cars brake pads with NAPA high grade pads and expect better life than the original factory pads.

Overall, both Suzuki cars have been an excellent buy. Personally, I think there is more quality and standard features in the Suzuki line for the price, the negotiation factor is about 10X of the Honda when buying an Aerio, I think overall, a much better deal. I am sorry I didn't buy my mother one of these instead of a Fit in hindsight. 155 hp 2.3L engine gets 27 mpg in town, 33-37 on the road. I noticed this morning in the Fit I bought for my mother, no power door lock button for the passenger side door, only the driver's side. How cheap can Honda get? These things are all standard on most cars.

When you put the Aerio SX side by side the Honda Fit, the Aerio is slightly longer, but overall, looks the same profile as the Fit. The Fit looks to me like it has a little bigger space behind the rear seat, however, the seats do all the same thing, folding, etc.. I like the interior controls of my Aerio better than the Fit, they look more sophisticated, like an aircraft.