General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Looking at buying a fit...

Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Looking at buying a fit...

Ok, Currently I am living in Thailand and teaching here. I will be returning to the US in October with my wife.

She is going to need a car, here we have a 00 civic which is RHD so I need to teach her how to drive on the LHD haha.

Anyways, the fit has been here in 2005 and we both like it, I have ridden in one a few times, but not drive one.

As it stands I am considering a Fit, Matrix, Versa, mazda3 or 5 door focus.

For looks alone, the fit and the mazda3 win, but the fit kicks it's ass in the MPG. I have driven a 2.3 mazda3 and it was peppy.

How does the little 109hp engine compare to the rest, most of these other choices have a 20-30hp difference and the 0-60 on the fit seems to be 11+sec which is slower than a taurus (correct me if I am wrong)

Despite the lack of power, the looks and the mpg keep bringing us back to the fit.

I don't worry about build quality, but I worry about merging into traffic and saftey. Hell if we like it we might get two, $4/gallon and 20mpg will stick the stang on weekend duty...

I would also like to state that other than maybe a drop in filter or something else minor, I will not mod the car since it would be my wife's, so using a mod argument to raise the FWHP and level the playing field is useless, the only mods she wants are hello kitty seat covers and license plate holders... JDM Kitty?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlackArtemis
Ok, Currently I am living in Thailand and teaching here. I will be returning to the US in October with my wife.

She is going to need a car, here we have a 00 civic which is RHD so I need to teach her how to drive on the LHD haha.

Anyways, the fit has been here in 2005 and we both like it, I have ridden in one a few times, but not drive one.

As it stands I am considering a Fit, Matrix, Versa, mazda3 or 5 door focus.

For looks alone, the fit and the mazda3 win, but the fit kicks it's ass in the MPG. I have driven a 2.3 mazda3 and it was peppy.

How does the little 109hp engine compare to the rest, most of these other choices have a 20-30hp difference and the 0-60 on the fit seems to be 11+sec which is slower than a taurus (correct me if I am wrong)

Despite the lack of power, the looks and the mpg keep bringing us back to the fit.

I don't worry about build quality, but I worry about merging into traffic and saftey. Hell if we like it we might get two, $4/gallon and 20mpg will stick the stang on weekend duty...

I would also like to state that other than maybe a drop in filter or something else minor, I will not mod the car since it would be my wife's, so using a mod argument to raise the FWHP and level the playing field is useless, the only mods she wants are hello kitty seat covers and license plate holders... JDM Kitty?

noooooooo don't buy it!!! hahaha jk jk bro.

it's a great car regardless of what you do to it. don't worry about the speed. it's fine. i mean, mac trucks seem to have a easy time merging... you just have to adjust the way you drive it a bit. the gas mileage more than makes up for the lack of power

Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm sure it's faster than the non-vtec honda we have here, but here it's mostly city driving, and painfully slow going through the mountains... Steep mountains + 100+ degrees + AC + maybe 90hp =

Though after reading the complaints thread, acceleration doesn't seem to be present.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlackArtemis
I'm sure it's faster than the non-vtec honda we have here, but here it's mostly city driving, and painfully slow going through the mountains... Steep mountains + 100+ degrees + AC + maybe 90hp =

Though after reading the complaints thread, acceleration doesn't seem to be present.

well if you do end up getting one, get an mt. it'll be better for the mountains.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Hmm, I think the pictures of the 09 fit did it for me, well that was fast and I answered my own questions, tnx saiko!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
hahah yeeeeeeeeah no problem? hahaha good luck and welcome! keep us updated with your status