General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit for pure city driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Fit for pure city driving

I am currently considering the Fit (along with the Yaris and maybe the Civic) for pretty much pure city driving. I would say on average I drive in the city about 90% - stop lights every half mile or less. I currently drive an Accord and can get about 23 mpg (average for my last 5 tanks). I want a smaller car that gets better mpg and it seems that the Fit would do that for me given that it is smaller than the Accord - in terms of size and engine. I drive an automatic as well - never learned how to drive manual.
My question is, given the mpg I get from the Accord, would a Fit be a good improvement? I know I could probably get better mpg with a Yaris, but am hesitant since they are hard to find with side airbags. Or would it be worth it for me to learn how to drive a manual and go for that in a few months?
Thanks -

Old 10-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah you would get around 33mpg, thats alot better then your Accord!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
You would do better with the Fit as far as gas milage goes - I test drove the Yaris and did not like the car. Felt like a bubble going down the road and it felt cramped and little inside. The Civic I drove did not feel like I was in control of the car. It did not hug the road like the Fit did and just made me feel uncomfortable. I use the Fit for strictly city driving and it does great in stop and go traffic although I have to hit the wide open road just to let it go which is so much fun.

Good luck with your search.

Cat :x

Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Get automatic if you're staying in the city, IMO

Old 11-02-2007, 03:07 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by storm88000
Agreed, I love my MT but i dread driving home during rush hour. I have to go up a hill a few blocks and it's usually stop and go, and with my spoon muffler it sounds pretty loud and annoying when im trying to inch my way up the hill

Old 11-02-2007, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member

Agree get the fit. Disagree on the automatic though, get the standard, bout time you learned how to drive like a man. :P Seriously though, test drive all the vehicles and get the one you like the most.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:33 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Here's why: The fit's gearbox is precise and different, it does not operate like your typical 5 speed economy car. After being stuck in stop and go traffic on a highway for *FIVE HOURS* you will wish you had an automatic.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Long-Term Road Tests - 2007 Honda Fit: Trappedway Friend

The MT fit is suprisingly fun. I have never once been annoyed driving the stick in traffic. Yesterday is my best story: I drove 2 hours (expected to be there in 1, but traffic was terrible.) I was only frustrated at the traffic which occurred during non-rush hour hours.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
get a civic hybrid... seriously, my house's honda civic 2003 hybrid is getting 55mpg, and is in the city every day, and goes across the bay bridge or hayward bridge daily. I've been using it more than my Fit's 23~24mpg... and with gas prices exceeding $3.80.. the choice is obvious.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio

The MT fit is suprisingly fun. I have never once been annoyed driving the stick in traffic. Yesterday is my best story: I drove 2 hours (expected to be there in 1, but traffic was terrible.) I was only frustrated at the traffic which occurred during non-rush hour hours.
nice article! i feel the same way!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Gordio

I totally agree with the article, so you can add my name to the list of stick owners who actually enjoy the pleasure of driving and shifting the Fit.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Also, the 2003 Honda Civic sedan hybrid is selling for around 17~18k, which is about the same price as a Fit fully loaded. The gas savings with the hybrid in a gridlock freeway like in the article posted, it will save you lots of money. The hybrid shuts off when you come to a complete stop.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
get a civic hybrid... seriously, my house's honda civic 2003 hybrid is getting 55mpg, and is in the city every day, and goes across the bay bridge or hayward bridge daily. I've been using it more than my Fit's 23~24mpg... and with gas prices exceeding $3.80.. the choice is obvious.

You're getting 23-24mpg in the Fit? Thats kind of lousy. What are your driving habits like?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:00 PM
I would say get a hybrid if your goal is gas savings in stop and go, they're in another league entirely. Many taxi drivers around here are using the prius and saving TONS of money on gas daily.. looking at $10-$20 per day instead of $100-$180 per day in the regular taxi's (extreme differences however.. v8 crown victoria vs prius heh)

If you want a versatile car that is fun to drive, gets decent mpg, can carry lots of stuff.. then yea.. The Fit is Go! (it also looks good shiny)

Originally Posted by scatb
I am currently considering the Fit (along with the Yaris and maybe the Civic) for pretty much pure city driving. I would say on average I drive in the city about 90% - stop lights every half mile or less. I currently drive an Accord and can get about 23 mpg (average for my last 5 tanks). I want a smaller car that gets better mpg and it seems that the Fit would do that for me given that it is smaller than the Accord - in terms of size and engine. I drive an automatic as well - never learned how to drive manual.
My question is, given the mpg I get from the Accord, would a Fit be a good improvement? I know I could probably get better mpg with a Yaris, but am hesitant since they are hard to find with side airbags. Or would it be worth it for me to learn how to drive a manual and go for that in a few months?
Thanks -

Last edited by wpgfit; 11-13-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
My habits in the fit are the same in the hybrid.... it's an ongoing issue I'm having with my Fit.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by TOOL
Yeah you would get around 33mpg, thats alot better then your Accord!
I don't think you'd get that high in the city with an auto from what I've read in other threads (see AT gas milage thread). I have an MT and get about 34 under similar conditions; Freeway only averages about 36-37. I'd guess high 20's in the city with an AT.

Agree with the others on the fun/lack of hassle factor with the MT though - better gas milage and more Zip in the city than the AT.

As others have said, if gas mileage is really a top priority you can't beat a hybrid, although you'd have to run some numbers on how long it would take to recoup the extra cost of one, plus they are less fun to drive for sure (I've driven Prius and Civic Hybrid's ) can't speak for any others....

Old 11-20-2007, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
I get much better highway mileage on my Fit. No shit, I average 40 MPG in highway driving. City/Highway combined I average 35-38MPG.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by scatb
Thanks -
if you're planning on just mainly driving in the city. i would go with the prius. it actually useful for you to brake to let the battery recharge the system. so if you brake alot... i would suggest a prius. that's my two cents. although the FIT is super cool. why couldn't they make a HYBRID FIT?! hmm....

Old 01-02-2008, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
The hybrid Fit could come in the future but has not been officially announced.

Any hybrid will do better in city traffic. Used hybrids are less expensive but in my area they still go for a premium unless they are higher mileage.

New hybrids like the Civic go for much more $$$ than gas variety.
In my area, Civic hybrid is $5000 more than Civic LX.

In city traffic automatic transmission is much more practical even if it is not as fun to drive and doesn't get as good mpg. Expect about 25-29 mpg for city use with some highway.

Used Prius is possible but the newer ones are better than the older ones.
Prius is 4 door with hatchback like the FIT, Civic hybrid is 4 door sedan with no rear cupholders or armrest and no fold down rear seat due to battery for electric motor.

Yaris is very bad about not coming with side impact air bags even though it is optional. My local dealer told me they never order any Yaris with side air bags and they have never seen one with it. That ruled out Yaris for me instantly, since Camry comes with side airbags standard the dealer pushed that model which they had plenty in stock.

Fit is easy to drive in the city, easy to park, has good versatility for people or hauling stuff, it's fun to drive, and rare compared to Civics.

I drive both 2006 Civic EX sedan and 2008 Fit Sport AT.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by smatts
Agreed, I love my MT but i dread driving home during rush hour. I have to go up a hill a few blocks and it's usually stop and go, and with my spoon muffler it sounds pretty loud and annoying when im trying to inch my way up the hill
The fit is surprisngly good at traffic. In fact, one of edmund's long term blogs was the fit was surprisingly not-annoying in traffic as most stick shifts.

And for the thread starter...How old is your accord? 23 mpg is pretty decent