Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Test drove Fit auto, Yaris sedan 5spd, Civic LX 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Test drove Fit auto, Yaris sedan 5spd, Civic LX 5spd

First off...I've driven the Fit Sport 5 spd a couple times already. There wasn't any in stock at any of the dealers though.

Today I was considering trading in one of my cars. Here's my thoughts on each:

-'07 Toyota Yaris sedan 5 spd - almost no options, only the "All Weather Package" which was priced @ $13,3XX.
It was the only one on the lot and the salesman was nice, but not pushy. He asked if I wanted to drive the FJ Cruiser first, but it's not what I'm looking for. We jumped into the only Yaris on the lot and took it for a spin. I thought it drove very good. Handling was good without the suspension feeling harsh, power was decent. The brakes were a little spongey feeling, but still predictable. I was impressed with the passing power on the interstate with the A/C on high WITH a passenger. I had no trouble merging on the on ramp. I love the pricetag, but as far as safety you don't get ABS, side and side curtain airbags standard. That's something to think about. Other than that, I was very happy with the car.

-'06 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5 spd - no additional options. MSRP was $17,XXX.
I have a friend that works at one of the Honda dealerships so that's a plus. The LX felt good, power was decent, handling was good, brakes were decent. The shifter "feel" left a lot to be desired. It was notchy and clunky. It just didn't feel like driving a Honda manual tranny. I couldn't get over that and because of it...I think it took away from the test drive.

-'07 Honda Fit Base automatic - didn't even look at the MSRP...it was their test mule.
I've driven the Fit before, but only in 5 spd. I find myself liking this car more and more everytime I drive it. You get a lot of car for the money. The auto seems to shift a little early, but I guess that's just to make sure the driver has power on demand for manuevering through traffic. The handling of the Fit really suprises me. Turn-in is great and this car builds confidence on a twisty road. It's funny because you initially think you're going to lean and tip over until you drive a Fit. It plants and goes where you want it to without sacrificing ride quality.
Neither dealer could offer me what I need for my car, but it was fun looking. The Honda dealer told me there's a 3-4 month wait for a Fit nationwide. I'm not sure if that's BS or not.

I'm looking into selling my car outright and then I'll make a decision. I still want to drive a Yaris hatchback and a Nissan Versa.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 AM
get the fit. you'll be waiting forever anyways. just spend the next 4 months saving your money :)

Old 08-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Some friends (a couple with a baby) have the civic (not the SI, a 2005 mid range sedan version) and the Echo/Yaris 5 door. The civic was suppose to be their main car, and the Yaris as a backup car. But they ended fighting to get the Yaris and the Civic lives unloved. They (as well as I) wish Honda would wise up and get the wonderful Civic hatchback in North America (if you haven't seen it, check it out at honda.uk or honda japan, etc). But as there is no news that it will soon arrive here (as far as they or I know), they are pleading with the Honda dealer to kill/swap the Civic's lease so they can get a Fit (they thought it was terrific). No luck.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:29 PM
iwu
I kinda think you're delusional on the feel of the manual LX (since I have one) but everyone is different.

It's also odd that most reviews of the car make a point to mention that the shifter feels smooth and very 'honda-like'

Old 08-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
First off...I've driven the Fit Sport 5 spd a couple times already. There wasn't any in stock at any of the dealers though.

Today I was considering trading in one of my cars. Here's my thoughts on each:

-'07 Toyota Yaris sedan 5 spd - almost no options, only the "All Weather Package" which was priced @ $13,3XX.
It was the only one on the lot and the salesman was nice, but not pushy. He asked if I wanted to drive the FJ Cruiser first, but it's not what I'm looking for. We jumped into the only Yaris on the lot and took it for a spin. I thought it drove very good. Handling was good without the suspension feeling harsh, power was decent. The brakes were a little spongey feeling, but still predictable. I was impressed with the passing power on the interstate with the A/C on high WITH a passenger. I had no trouble merging on the on ramp. I love the pricetag, but as far as safety you don't get ABS, side and side curtain airbags standard. That's something to think about. Other than that, I was very happy with the car.

-'06 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5 spd - no additional options. MSRP was $17,XXX.
I have a friend that works at one of the Honda dealerships so that's a plus. The LX felt good, power was decent, handling was good, brakes were decent. The shifter "feel" left a lot to be desired. It was notchy and clunky. It just didn't feel like driving a Honda manual tranny. I couldn't get over that and because of it...I think it took away from the test drive.

-'07 Honda Fit Base automatic - didn't even look at the MSRP...it was their test mule.
I've driven the Fit before, but only in 5 spd. I find myself liking this car more and more everytime I drive it. You get a lot of car for the money. The auto seems to shift a little early, but I guess that's just to make sure the driver has power on demand for manuevering through traffic. The handling of the Fit really suprises me. Turn-in is great and this car builds confidence on a twisty road. It's funny because you initially think you're going to lean and tip over until you drive a Fit. It plants and goes where you want it to without sacrificing ride quality.
Neither dealer could offer me what I need for my car, but it was fun looking. The Honda dealer told me there's a 3-4 month wait for a Fit nationwide. I'm not sure if that's BS or not.

I'm looking into selling my car outright and then I'll make a decision. I still want to drive a Yaris hatchback and a Nissan Versa.
We test drove a 4 door Yaris automatic about a month ago and the three things that really stood out to me were the placement of the gauges (way too distracting in the center), the gas pedal was too close to the transmission hump (I had a very hard time pushing my foot down on it cleanly) and the fact that you had to buy "packages" to get options. That said and done we place a deposit on an Sport A/T Fit.

Thanks !

Old 08-21-2006, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
I would say the take the Fit! I would agree with onebyone1958:"placement of the gauges (way too distracting in the center)"

Plus, with the FIT you know what safety options comes with it and its all in the price tag.

Lukly for me I got mine the 3-4 week when they first came in town. I had to call over 20 dealers from the bayarea, because they were selling fast, i mean really fast!! if you want a blaze orange metallic...good luck finding one and wait for it...

but yeah the wait for honda FITs are forever, not unless you have connections and get it before those who put a deposite down.