Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Toyota GT 86 sedan with longer wheelbase planned - report

Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
but unfortunately for them, in real world, my 5MT Fit was faster... and they claim their car is a sports car while ours is just an ecnobox grocery getter...
Really? What were the conditions of this comparison? I had an '09 Fit Sport 5MT that I loved, and granted it was a hoot to drive. But it wouldn't come close to hanging with the '13 FR-S 6MT that I have now. No how, no way.

I'm not ragging on the Fit -- it was probably the best car I've ever owned, including the FR-S, and I'd still be driving it except for the monster hailstorm last April that did it in. But to claim that it would come anywhere close to keeping up with my FR-S is ludicrous.

Perhaps you went up against an AT, with sport mode disengaged?

Last edited by JeffChap; 10-15-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
i thought the brz/frs was suppose to be the cheep sports car that youths buy during the recession.

someone seems to be switching stories around and blaming other things instead of the actual problem: weak car.
Toyota considering an entry-level, rear-wheel drive sports car - report

Would slot below the GT 86

Toyota 86 chief engineer Tatsuya Tada has revealed the company is considering an entry-level sports car to slot below the 86.
Speaking to CarAdvice, Tada said both he and Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda want a three sports car lineup but neither the entry-level model or the Supra successor have been approved for production.
Despite this, Tada said the model would ride on an all-new rear-wheel drive platform and could be co-developed with another automaker.
When asked about the price pressures an entry-level sports car would face, Tada said the company has "learnt a lot from [the] 86 project and Toyota has much experience in terms of technology and development in the way we develop vehicles efficiently and cost effectively."

Source: CarAdvice via Autoblog

Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JeffChap
Really? What were the conditions of this comparison? I had an '09 Fit Sport 5MT that I loved, and granted it was a hoot to drive. But it wouldn't come close to hanging with the '13 FR-S 6MT that I have now. No how, no way.

I'm not ragging on the Fit -- it was probably the best car I've ever owned, including the FR-S, and I'd still be driving it except for the monster hailstorm last April that did it in. But to claim that it would come anywhere close to keeping up with my FR-S is ludicrous.

Perhaps you went up against an AT, with sport mode disengaged?
maybe, no idea what trim level that BRZ was but looking at the dip during 1-2 shift, im pretty sure that was a MT.

Originally Posted by cjecpa
Toyota considering an entry-level, rear-wheel drive sports car - report

Would slot below the GT 86

Toyota 86 chief engineer Tatsuya Tada has revealed the company is considering an entry-level sports car to slot below the 86.
Speaking to CarAdvice, Tada said both he and Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda want a three sports car lineup but neither the entry-level model or the Supra successor have been approved for production.
Despite this, Tada said the model would ride on an all-new rear-wheel drive platform and could be co-developed with another automaker.
When asked about the price pressures an entry-level sports car would face, Tada said the company has "learnt a lot from [the] 86 project and Toyota has much experience in terms of technology and development in the way we develop vehicles efficiently and cost effectively."

Source: CarAdvice via Autoblog

lol.... so subaru was to blame for the brz/frs's 'flaws'? geez... i dont think toyota understands that it's not just the price they need to work on for these $20k+ range cars. especially not in areas where there are 90% straight roads... needs more power!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
I am not sure if they want to do a lower end sports car below the 86 why not bring back the MR2 this time going back to the 2nd generation and not the convertible.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
maybe, no idea what trim level that BRZ was but looking at the dip during 1-2 shift, im pretty sure that was a MT.
Are you sure the other guy was "racing", and it wasn't just you?

With 3 years in a Fit and 6 mos with an FR-S, I will assure you that unless the Fit is FI, it's not even going to be close. Either the BRZ missed a shift or he wasn't trying.

Have you ever driven one? Not bad off the lot, and after 4000 miles it's only gotten stronger.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
I am not sure if they want to do a lower end sports car below the 86 why not bring back the MR2 this time going back to the 2nd generation and not the convertible.
now that would be kinda cool. something more committed.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:11 AM
i am getting the ideas and forming my own suggestions on it ,, thought there are many suitable and supportive contents have been posted, but reaching on an optimum one is not an easy task

Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
how did the integra sedans do back in the days vs its coupe counterpart?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Sales, performance?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Sales, performance?
yah, just sales numbers in comparison coupe vs sedan.

since it appears the teg sedan idea seems similar (at least to me) to this frs sedan concept.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Total numbers produced vs. sales is not available here unfortunately, I would like to see that.

Pre-Owned Profile: 1994-2001 Acura Integra - AutoTrader.com

But actual sales show that roughly 25% of Integras purchased were sedans throughout the car's production run. Seems about right to me since about 1 in 4 Integras I see on the street are sedans (so scientific!) lol

I guess an FRS sedan would be about the same size as an Integra sedan. Much smaller than today's cars, but livable I suppose. We've gotten used to the huge rooflines and interior space though, so i'm not sure how well that would go over (with the general public, it's fine with me).

Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Total numbers produced vs. sales is not available here unfortunately, I would like to see that.

Pre-Owned Profile: 1994-2001 Acura Integra - AutoTrader.com

But actual sales show that roughly 25% of Integras purchased were sedans throughout the car's production run. Seems about right to me since about 1 in 4 Integras I see on the street are sedans (so scientific!) lol

I guess an FRS sedan would be about the same size as an Integra sedan. Much smaller than today's cars, but livable I suppose. We've gotten used to the huge rooflines and interior space though, so i'm not sure how well that would go over (with the general public, it's fine with me).
thanks wanderer!

yah, 25% on a already not profitable small volume car is hardly a volume that would kick-off such program. it's a bad idea. toyota should just drop this and use the funds and energy elsewhere... like how about putting a real engine (turbo) in the BRZ/FRS and rid those ugly sunken skinny sedan wheels/tires on the coupe.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Subaru to blame for the lack of a Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S sedan - report

Redesigned xB could be launched as a 2015 or 2016 model

Toyota and Subaru were all hugs and kisses when they launched the GT 86 and BRZ, but it looks like there's a dark cloud hanging over future Toyobarus.
Citing an unnamed insider, Edmunds is reporting Scion has been pushing for a FR-S sedan but "Subaru has been dragging its heels on it." Scion reportedly wants to the model to go on sale in early 2016 but its future remains in doubt as Toyota and Subaru would have to agree to the project.
In related news, Scion's Doug Murtha confirmed a new model will arrive for either the 2015 or 2016 model year. Murtha declined to say what the model is but the website believes it will be a redesigned xB. Two five-door hatchbacks are reportedly under consideration and the company is expected to decide which one to offer in the United States next spring.

Source: Edmunds

Old 10-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Why on earth would Subaru want to do a BRZ sedan? It would dilute Impreza sales. They have nothing to gain, so i'm not surprised at all that they're dragging heels.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Wonder why Subaru got involved in the first place their whole selling point is the AWD system which is mot offer on the BRZ.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
subaru probably just needed more help financially. afterall, toyota has like 20% share of fuji heavy industries. probably thought it would be fun and profittable to try a partnership car.

the current frs/brz to me is worth no more than $18-19K MSRP.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Toyota GT 86 saloon on the cards

Toyota GT 86 saloon has been given the go-ahead, according to inside source

The Toyota GT 86 convertible concept still has an uncertain future - there's still no word on whether it'll make production. But Toyota engineers have been busy coming up with a plan B.
An inside source has revealed that the go-ahead has been given for a GT 86-based saloon. Shown here in our exclusive image, the four-door will target buyers in their forties who honed their driving skills on cars like the rear-wheel-drive Corolla AE86, Mazda RX-8 and Honda S2000.
Using the same platform as the GT 86, but with a wheelbase that’s 100mm longer, it will feature what Toyota calls a “keen-look” grille design that appears to replicate the shape of a Japanese Samurai sword.
In addition to the GT 86’s 197bhp 2.0-litre boxer engine, the saloon will also offer a Hybrid R powertrain producing between 250-270bhp, while achieving 10 to 15 per cent better fuel economy than the standard petrol-engined car.
Our insider suggests that the new system will employ F1-style KERS tech, which can recover the car’s kinetic energy under braking and deliver it back to the rear wheels in short bursts. Expect to see the GT 86 saloon on sale from late 2015, with prices starting from £28,000.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
the four-door will target buyers in their forties who honed their driving skills on cars like the rear-wheel-drive Corolla AE86, Mazda RX-8 and Honda S2000.

In addition to the GT 86’s 197bhp 2.0-litre boxer engine, the saloon will also offer a Hybrid R powertrain producing between 250-270bhp, while achieving 10 to 15 per cent better fuel economy than the standard petrol-engined car.

sale from late 2015, with prices starting from £28,000.
nice update, cjecpa. :D

im in my forties... and i seriously doubt i would be spending money on a scion sedan. if getting a sedan as my only car, which the article tends to imply, i would get something like a infiniti Q50, 3-series, c-class.

or just do it right and have a dedicated RWD fun car with actual umph, and a practical car to drive as dd.

again, toyota is targeting the wrong group, wrong price, wrong power (although the hybrid 270hp sounds ok). i dont like hybrids.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:20 PM
OH LORD. It keeps getting better.

40 somethings who grew up in the golden era of Japanese sports cars are not buying a Scion. They are buying M BMWs and Porsches, or blandish daily drivers and still driving their golden era cars on the weekend. An older guy in an S2000 is not unusual, but I don't see many older guys driving FRS even, mostly 20 somethings or "hip" old people in automatics lol. I don't think Toyota understands their sports car market in America at all anymore. They need to understand the American mindset and the label the Scion name brings with it, as dumb as it is, that is the way it is.

I said niche market but that's a super niche they're aiming for. I hope they have low production numbers otherwise they're gonna get creamed.

And then we won't see any more cheap fun sportscars because Toyota won't think they sell well in the US, when really they just marketed a poor car to a poor audience.

Also, 28,000 pounds is a lot of money. Might as well get a 3 series lol

Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
yah, if that's british pounds, you're talking US$45K. lol.

not sure wat toyota's smokin' but i would definitely not want a $45K scion. kinda like buying that equss or quues or watever that hyundai lux car is called. you'll be making up excuses and explaining why you spent that kind of money on such car when there are so many nicer cars within reach.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota GT 86 sedan with longer wheelbase planned - report