Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Toyota GT 86 sedan with longer wheelbase planned - report

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Toyota GT 86 sedan with longer wheelbase planned - report

Stretched by 100mm

Aussie media is reporting Toyota is very close to approve production series of a GT 86 sedan.
While the future of a GT 86 cabrio is uncertain at this moment after several contradicting reports, it seems Toyota is planning a more practical sedan variant which will allegedly receive a 100mm extended wheelbase to make room for rear passengers. It seems this car has higher chances of reaching the firm's dealerships compared to the cabrio, according to a source close to Toyota cited by Motoring.com.au.
Aside from the stretched wheelbase and two additional doors, the GT 86 sedan will adopt a "keen-look" front grille as a reference to a Japanese katana samurai sword. It will be powered by the same 2.0-liter boxer engine as the coupe, but it will also get a next-gen hybrid arrangement which has been previewed by Toyota at IAA last month with the Yaris Hybrid-R concept.
The same source mentions this new type of hybrid setup will allow the Toyota GT 86 sedan to develop as much as 268 bhp (200 kW) while at the same time be about 10-15 percent more frugal than the conventional-powered coupe. Chances are the car will adopt an F1-inspired KERS system which under braking will recover the kinetic energy.
It is believed the GT 86 sedan will make its public debut next March at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show, ahead of a late 2015 market launch at a price similar to its two-door cousin.

Source: motoring.com.au

Old 10-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
meh...

10char

Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 PM
If they put a hatch on the back end, I want one! Even a sloping Integra style hatch.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
they need to bump the power up another 50hp as well.

brz/frs is too slow to begin with. making it more rear passenger friendly means it's going to carry that much more weight...

Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM
200 hp is already a good bit more than the Fit.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian
200 hp is already a good bit more than the Fit.
but unfortunately for them, in real world, my 5MT Fit was faster... and they claim their car is a sports car while ours is just an ecnobox grocery getter...

Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Really? I love the Fit for handling and utility, but faster? I'm surprised.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Really? I love the Fit for handling and utility, but faster? I'm surprised.
yah, i was quite dissappointed. the car is not much faster than ordinary sedans out there especially in my neck of the woods where most of the roads are straight.

it would just piss me off having a car that. and then to add convenience to pack 2 additional adults in the back seat for more weight? that thing is going to be a dog.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Huh. Thanks for the report. I've had an eye on that car for a while, except for the lack of Fit-style utility. You just bumped it down a notch. That's good. I already have the Fit, so this is cheaper.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:03 PM
i drove 3 or 4 of them and it feels like a $20,000 car... no more.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Administrator
I will believe it when I see it

Old 10-12-2013, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member

Will have extended wheelbase and a hybrid option

It was only yesterday when rumors of a sedan GT 86 sedan emerged, and now we bring a render with the four-door version which is allegedly close to production series.
The artist behind these renders is Theophilus Chin who envisioned a red sedan GT 86 back in 2011 and now he updated his work with a black car which looks more appropriate for a production-ready model. If green-lighted for production, the four-door GT 86 will boast a 100mm extended wheelbase and could be shown in March next year at Geneva Motor Show.
The car will reportedly be offered as standard with the coupe's 2.0-liter boxer engine but an optional hybrid arrangement derived from the Yaris Hybrid-R concept is also in the cards with up to 268 bhp (200 kW) and a KERS system similar to F1 cars.
A market launch is expected towards the end of 2015 while pricing should be in the same region as the coupe.

Source: theophiluschin.com

Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
thanks, cjecpa on the follow up picts. :D

yah, that just looks kinda dumb now... lol. they should just give it a completely different look.

Huh. Thanks for the report. I've had an eye on that car for a while, except for the lack of Fit-style utility. You just bumped it down a notch. That's good. I already have the Fit, so this is cheaper.
im sure the car feels good with rwd and all going downhill on a touge on a cold morning by yourself, but that thing is just too slow for the shape it has. you know wat's going to happen in real world. some dumbarse kid in his mom's v6 camry is going to race you and actually get the upper hand. and you get pissed, make up all sorts of excuses that the car's handling is great.

and the general public replis, who the f- cares, your car is slow.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
I surprise a sedan why not a hatchback seems that the FR-S does not compete against any other of their models (Toyota) a sedan would possibly compete against the IS.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM
For as small as the FRS is, this would make a pretty uncomfortable sedan. Not sure of the point of this exercise.

Drivers will buy the FRS coupe, people looking for 4 door reliability will buy the Corolla. A 4 door FRS fits a very niche market IMO and doesn't make much sense.

Toyota's looking as confused as Honda right about now lol

Old 10-14-2013, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Well if they do this we may not see it anyway I read Scion will not have any new products for three years...

New Scion models at least three years off - report

FR-S convertible is still being debated

Toyota's U.S. vice president of sales has revealed some new details about Scion's future product lineup.
Speaking to Edmunds, Paul Holdrige said new and redesigned models at least three years away. This is unfortunate as executive confirmed "we are basically selling the same vehicles that we were selling four years ago, and we are going to be selling basically the same vehicles for the next couple of years."
Holdrige said the lack of new products can be blamed on the recession and the devastating tsunami that struck Japan in 2011. As he explained, "It has been a very difficult four- or five-year span in the auto industry and you've got to place your financial assets where you are going to get your best return."
Despite the delay, Holdrige confirmed at least two new Scions are on the drawing board and an FR-S convertible is still being debated.

Source: Edmunds

Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
i thought the brz/frs was suppose to be the cheep sports car that youths buy during the recession.

someone seems to be switching stories around and blaming other things instead of the actual problem: weak car.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM
IDK I see FRS all over the place out here. Even one of my younger neighbors has one and I don't exactly live in an influential community.

I think Toyota accomplished what they were aiming for with the FRS. It was never supposed to be fast, just fun, affordable, balanced. The few people I know that have one love theirs and they road race them regularly (one of them also drives much faster cars on the weekend). Also prior AE chassis drivers and most of them have a rabid hatred for the FRS for no good reason other than "how dare you try to recreate perfection" LOL

The BRZ doesn't make sense to me besides being a kind of concession for the partnership. A sedan isn't in the spirit.

A roadster makes sense.

I think they're more talking like this:

"Between the tsunami and the recession we haven't made a ton of money the last four or five years, so what money we made we are going to pour into ambiguous economy cars that we can sell a shit ton of all over the world. We can't afford to take chances spending a ton of design money and R&D on niche markets right now".

Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
I guess it was Scion that only suffer Toyota is still releasing new products the Camry last year, Corolla and Land Cruiser this year and an up coming Prius.

The BRZ you would of thought they would at least made it look different, kind like the Talon, Laser, and Eclipse.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
i see maybe one or two BRZ's in a month. ive only seen one FRS in my area. i see tons of camry's and corolla's and all the other toyota's though.

as far as coupes, i see lots of lower-end trim muscle car like challengers, camaros, and mustangs (all v6?) that cost about the same mid-$20K's and 4 seats. brz/frs has very low penetration in my area.

Quick Reply: Toyota GT 86 sedan with longer wheelbase planned - report