Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Project: Type-S Trackday

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
You want reliability but want to throw cheap/crap parts at it?

Google skunk2 cams k20a.org and you'll see why I don't recommend Skunk2/Blox/BWR (By the way, all three of those are the same parts, just different names)....
A little while ago there was that "Skunk2 hitman for hire" fiasco, when reading those threads I read about quite a few people who had Skunk2 engine parts which failed catastrophically... OP you can make your own choice, but the facts are out there. I don't think anyone is/was trying to be harsh.

Really wished you'd kept your build up here... been a fan of the Integra since I owned a few.. almost bought a certified used RSX-S right before I got my Fit (they were about the same price at the time), and been trying to buy my neighbors RSX for years, but she keeps her cars till the end. Looking forward to pics/vid, etc.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
You could run camber plates with the Koni/GC no?

AMR Engineering for coilovers? Rebound adjustable only, has camber plates and all that, custom made for your application, so nice and not super expensive. Supposedly that make them for the Fit too I've been interested.
For the cost of plates, Yellows and GCs is almost the cost of coil-overs, except again no spring preload.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Yes, but the ability to adjust rebound only vs. the usual crappy rebound+compression adjustments (if you can call it that) on the cheap coilovers is worth more than preload adjustments (IMO).

You don't need to go low anyway right?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
A little while ago there was that "Skunk2 hitman for hire" fiasco, when reading those threads I read about quite a few people who had Skunk2 engine parts which failed catastrophically... OP you can make your own choice, but the facts are out there. I don't think anyone is/was trying to be harsh.

Really wished you'd kept your build up here... been a fan of the Integra since I owned a few.. almost bought a certified used RSX-S right before I got my Fit (they were about the same price at the time), and been trying to buy my neighbors RSX for years, but she keeps her cars till the end. Looking forward to pics/vid, etc.
It's annoying for parts to fail, most manufactures stand behind their product. But you have to give them a chance to right the wrong. The people who didn't get help flew off the handle, right off the bat and never gave Skunk2 a chance to redeem themselves. To say it's junk because Google says so, isn't convincing enough. I've also have been dealing with Skunk2 since the mid 90s, so maybe I'm being too sentimental.

I don't think anyone was being harsh. Im excited about my new build and wanted to share. I am looking for feed back, but to make blanket statements from an I-Phone is silly. At first I thought "Loudbang" was back. lol.

I believe you mean this:
UPDATE - Skunk2 Racing

Last edited by De36; 01-07-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Yes, but the ability to adjust rebound only vs. the usual crappy rebound+compression adjustments (if you can call it that) on the cheap coilovers is worth more than preload adjustments (IMO).

You don't need to go low anyway right?
No, low isn't my concern, for example the WRX handles better at almost stock ride height. "Low" is just for looks.

I'm not talking about strut rebound/compression. Spring preload is what's important to me, the amount of force on the spring at rest.

You are right though, I do want to getting the car rolling. I'll sleep on it.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by De36
I believe you mean this:
UPDATE - Skunk2 Racing
Well that's their apology... if you recall the way it started where they offered a reward for information (names & addresses) of people "exposing" what was already on their site, and the personal threats issued by people who work for them.... that's just bad business practice no matter how they spin it. They knew they fked up, cause this is the net, and had to back pedal real quick to issue that apology. Personally I don't care either way... have never bought Skunk2, and don't plan to... but I don't own an IPhone, let alone a smartphone.

Forget that, don't want to detract from the DC5 (love that car) :)
....looking forward to updates on your build.
As for suspension... have to agree with Wanderer. good choice.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
... but I don't own an IPhone, let alone a smartphone.

Forget that, don't want to detract from the DC5 (love that car) :)
....looking forward to updates on your build.
As for suspension... have to agree with Wanderer. good choice.
Yeah, the whole thing was a mess and got very carried away.

? I wasn't directing that comment towards you, I was referring to the guy I blocked. Sorry if that came across wrong.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
I wasn't directing that comment towards you, I was referring to the guy I blocked. Sorry if that came across wrong.
No, no... I had a feeling it wasn't in my direction... just blocking as a precaution.. lol... it's all good. lol.

In for a dedicated track day RSX build.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:51 PM
I'm not talking about strut rebound/compression. Spring preload is what's important to me, the amount of force on the spring at rest.
Why are you so concerned abour preload? If you're not running low you should have plenty of shock travel to work with?