Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

1970's Civic...my how things have changed, or have they?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
1970's Civic...my how things have changed, or have they?

All:

Saw a mid 1970s Civic (with crash bumpers, making it 74-on) in Franklin, TN today, the first one I have seen in years. I did not get a good enough look at it to peg an exact year. It was a light metallic blue, like my Fit.

I remember these cars from years ago, but forgot how small they were.

I guess the Fit is a throwback to this, a basic run-about that gives good value? Granted, AC was an option, none of the creature or safety equipment (but about 1/2 the weight and 54 horse power), but these are market changes.

Dunno, but that old Civic looked like fun and BASIC transportation to me. Would it be fun to tinker with? Sure. Drive everyday in 2006, no way in hell....

Old 10-02-2006, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
My first "new" car was a 1978 Accord. It had 68 hp, and no A/C. The car was $4995. A/C was around $1000 more!!

Those old Civics were neat, and just kept on running and running!!

Old 10-02-2006, 11:07 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
My first car, circa 1985, was a 197x Civic 1200. I recall it had oversize front wheels and tires from an Accord, because that's what the local garage happened to have on hand. I also recall bump-starting it quite often, because I regularly forgot to turn off the headlights when I arrived at work (day broke during my commute); fortunately the car was light enough for me (then a 110lb weakling) to push up a slope in the parking lot. The beginning of the end came when I drove it for an hour after all the coolant leaked out of the radiator one day -- the temp gauge didn't go up because the thermostat was high and dry -- and the car burned a lot of oil from then on.

The dealer where I bought my Fit, Waterloo Honda, keeps a CVCC on display in their showroom.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kps
The dealer where I bought my Fit, Waterloo Honda, keeps a CVCC on display in their showroom.
Before anyone anyone asks:

CVCC = Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion

Am I dating myself here, or what???

Old 10-02-2006, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wyy183
Before anyone anyone asks:

CVCC = Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion

Am I dating myself here, or what???
Nope, you make the other old farts feel at home.... Supposedly, the name CIVIC came from that technology.

Do we dare tell these kids it had one of these on it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spule 4
Nope, you make the other old farts feel at home.... Supposedly, the name CIVIC came from that technology.

Do we dare tell these kids it had one of these on it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor
Nah - don't scare 'em!! :eek:

Old 10-03-2006, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
those old civics from the 70s are neat, i was born in the early 80s, but i still appreciate these types of cars.:D i found one in my local junkyard and took a long look at it. maybe it was an accord cvcc. anyway, it even still had the motor and everything in it, including the factory wheels...but years of harsh north dakota weather took its toll on it, and tall grass had grown thru the engine bay.:(

here's a couple pics of some old civics from a car meet that another forum i'm on had a few days ago. enjoy:)

it was the Japanese Classic Car Show, and you can find more pics at this link: http://jdmchat.com/showthread.php?t=1693

Old 10-03-2006, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
FWIW - Civic's are in the background. Those in the forground are 600's.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
my mistake, as i said, i was born in the 80's;) well, i like the cars in the foreground, but the civics don't look too bad either:D

Old 10-15-2006, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ha-y-nferio
my mistake, as i said, i was born in the 80's;) well, i like the cars in the foreground, but the civics don't look too bad either:D
Check around on eBay, these cars are going up in value (both the Civics and the 600s) like a lot of Japanese cars of that era. I missed out on a neighbor's 1960s Toyota station wagon almost two decades ago, they sold it for $200, wonder what it would bring now? Ditto on an privately imported from Switzerland Datsun Cherry that was kicking around where I lived in Ohio in the 1980s.

The 600s are neat cars. Thanks for posting the photos.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
This may be pushing the "off-topic" a bit, but I have a '90 CRX Si that I've been offered a decent amount for on various occasions. It only has 65K miles on the car.

Various internet sites (NADA, Edmunds, KBB, etc.) show it is worth $2500 - $3500. I've had offers over $6000 from people who have stopped me running around town in it.

Good, clean, stock cars are difficult to come by. This one has NEVER been exposed to salt, so it has no rust - which, again, is hard to come by.

I bought it off a guy in San Antonio, who purchased it from a guy in Las Vegas who, due to an back injury, was unable to drive it.

Here are some pictures that the guy in San Antonio posted when he bought it, if you're interested in seeing a really nice car!! http://thenew.gamesbbs.com/~crx/myrex3.html

I bought it from him with 35,353.5 miles showing on the odometer. He only put about 2000 miles on it in the three years that he had it - he has/had too many cars!!

Old 10-16-2006, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
So . . . you guys telling me I should think about putting my 1987 Toyota Tercel wagon in a garage somewhere for a couple decades and THEN sell it? For BIG BUCKS???? Jeez, I was gonna try to find it a loving home, some nice lo-tech old hippies or artist types that can live w/o AC, a radio, power windows (or anything else), who will treat it gently and coax another 100K out of it . . .

It still runs, looks decent, has little rust (no salt here in central TX) and was my runabout car until I took delivery on my Fit.
Well, I think I'll sell it. If I can find a good home. Or maybe I'll donate it to the folks who are building plug-in electric cars, so they can tinker with it.

Automobile yard art I will not tolerate!

Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
wyy183, That CRX is MINT!!!!

Id love to own one in that condition. Too bad all the ones around here are all beat up, or modded.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
wyy183, That CRX is MINT!!!!

Id love to own one in that condition. Too bad all the ones around here are all beat up, or modded.
Those pics are from 30,000 miles ago. It's not quite in that good of shape (it has a minor door ding that I need to get touched up.) I keep it in the garage most of the time, and drive it on weekends - weather permitting and when I'm not travelling in the Fit!!

It still looks very, very good. When it is in my driveway, I get a lot of dudes stopping by wanting to buy it for next to nothing so they can do an engine swap, put a spoiler on it, etc.

It's quite stock. I did put a Pioneer deck in it and swapped out the original speakers with some newer ones. I replaced the muffler last year with a Honda stock one (if you aren't aware, if you buy a replacment muffler from Honda, they will replace it as long as you keep the thing running for free after that first one!! My other CRX is on its 4th one!) I also put some Falken 512-ziex tires on it last year (about 5K miles ago.)

Over the winter I'll be giving it a good once over, getting it all nice and shiny again, and I will be selling it in the Spring, once the snow clears out for good.

I have my Fit now, so I don't really need this car any longer. One of my daughters wants me to GIVE it to her. LOL!!!

This car will go to a good home where it will receive the love and care that only the right person can appreciate!