VW Golf Wofsburg - Page 48 - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Old 02-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1 View Post
Dang -- spun the Frontier on black ice on a two-lane blacktop in the NC mountains last weekend.
Glad it ended well and you guys were alright. Luckily I don't have to deal with mountain roads in winter conditions as Delaware is very flat. If I want some "mountain" roads I can drive up to PA for some summer fun.

Originally Posted by GAFIT View Post
I installed the 032 Motorsports solid billet dogbone in ours. It added some NVH, but I find it to be a very worthwhile trade off.
I think it would be a good tradeoff as well. This is on my list of upgrades.

Oh, and I ordered a wheel hanger.
You will be glad you did lol!! They are the bomb as ash put it :) I should move mine to the glovebox with the wheel lock so I have it if I get a flat again.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:19 PM
I'm just not a big fan of the standard Dallas (?) GTI wheels. The Rabbits's black spoked wheels are much cooler I think. I took these photos today:

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 03-10-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Agreed!

Hard to believe, but our next service on the Golf will be at 50,000 miles. For anyone wondering if VW's are complete piles, I'd have to say no. It's gotten this far with zero malfunctions or recalls. Not that 50k is any kind of test, but so far so good.

Have two things that will need to be addressed in the near future though. 1. The front brakes are shot. Decided to just let the gouged rotor thing play out and they are no longer working well. 2. There's noises coming from the front suspension. Honestly sounds like the drivers side front strut is blown, but just seems way too early for it to need struts. Have to inspect.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Also stopped by the Hyundai dealer to see the new Veloster. Probably a plenty fun drive and the price tag is attractive, but its styling doesn't turn my head. The crushed down rear roofline seems to be in vogue everywhere, as are gaping open-mouth grilles and strange faux black ports at the corners front and back.. I'm happy that VW stylists have shown some restraint on these.

Hyundai Veloster 2019

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 03-12-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
That squashed rear leaves little to no headroom. Cars like the VW CC and Mercedes CL kind of started the trend, but sitting in the rear of those is NOT fun.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Agreed! Hard to believe, but our next service on the Golf will be at 50,000 miles. For anyone wondering if VW's are complete piles, I'd have to say no. It's gotten this far with zero malfunctions or recalls. Not that 50k is any kind of test, but so far so good. ...
Wow, the miles sure do add up quickly. We have about 23K Miles. Our brakes have suffered the same fate as yours and shimmy badly on heavy applications. You can really feel it through the steering wheel. And our can't-find-2nd Gear problem continues, though we're getting better at working around the problem (bring the shifter perfectly straight back). The Dealer told me to kiss a goose when I mentioned these. We'll live with the crappy rotors until they're done and I'll seek something better.

I completely agree with out you on the anti-VW reliability bias I read. I think most of these "contributors" are living in a decade long ago or are just parroting others. Nonetheless, the overcast should serve as notice to all manufacturers that consumer relations matter greatly and that poor quality and claim denial will eventually dig a hole deep enough to bury a brand.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:25 PM
I completely agree with out you on the anti-VW reliability bias I read. I think most of these "contributors" are living in a decade long ago or are just parroting others. Nonetheless, the overcast should serve as notice to all manufacturers that consumer relations matter greatly and that poor quality and claim denial will eventually dig a hole deep enough to bury a brand.

And I agree with both of you. My 2013 GTI is my first experience with a water cooled VW. To be honest I was a bit worried about reliability, but coming from a 2006 MINI Cooper S I figured it had to be better than that. At 45,000 miles my VW has cost me nothing other than normal maintenance. While my wife's MINI continues to bleed cash at an alarming rate.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM
That squashed rear leaves little to no headroom. Cars like the VW CC and Mercedes CL kind of started the trend, but sitting in the rear of those is NOT fun.
Ooof, I hadn't thought about that. I'm sure it steals a lot of luggage room on Crossovers and SUVs too.

Being a Nissan Frontier owner, I should be enamored with the 370Z, but the styling with it doesn't grab me like it should. The VQ engine is of excellent design (I have a VQ-40 in my truck and the Z has a VQ-series too) and I'm sure the Z is a hoot to drive. I'm glad that Nissan has resisted making it longer and wider, a fate that's ruined many vehicles in this era. I read that the Golf MK8 will be longer and wider and I fear it'll look like a station wagon when they're done.

I do like the looks of the Miata MX-5 RF (with the retractable hard top). I might stop by my Mazda dealer and snap a few shots if they keep one outside.