Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

VW Golf Wofsburg

Old 05-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Interesting. I guess I am not too surprised with the shift toward small crossovers. Also there are some good car choices in that segment from Honda, Toyota, Kia/Hyundai and people are unsure of V dubs reliability.

I do understand the crossover thing as my wife loves them. They are smaller then a full size SUV but are higher up then a car so it's easier getting the kids in and out of and more visibility. They have become pretty fuel efficient also which helps.

Yes PCV is on my maintenance list also. Ordering R8 coils next week with NGK plugs. Oil change is coming up and still need to install my short shifter adapter, dog bone insert, downpipe and do a res delete. I am itching for some more sound so res delete might be sooner then later.

Have a great weekend.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
My weekend is going to consist of me installing a suspension kit on my '19 F150. VW and Fit will have to just watch while the new vehicle gets more attention.

I keep telling the Fit to be patient. It's turn is coming up very soon. Almost done with the truck.

VW is another story. It gets washed as needed and gets the oil changed every 5k miles. Only other plans for ours is a front brake job. Maybe I'll get around to that in a few weeks.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Whoa! I guess it shouldn't surprise me in view of the Golf's low North American volume, but it if true, saddens me because the price difference between the Golf and GTI is significant enough that we would have instead chosen the Mazda3 hatch.

The automotive business is so weird. People often seem to choose vehicles based on what they see in neighborhood driveways, not what might suit their needs best. Add in unlimited credit and the sky's the limit.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 AM
Changed the Golf's engine oil yesterday. Bought the usual excellent kit from Deutsche Auto Parts with OEM parts and VW Spec. oil. I change it every 5K Miles, letting the Dealer do it at the prescribed 10K marks so as to avert any powertrain warranty denials that might surface later. I must say that the oil change process on our MK7 is the easiest and cleanest of any vehicle we've ever owned.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1;1429866|
I change it every 5K Miles, letting the Dealer do it at the prescribed 10K marks so as to avert any powertrain warranty denials that might surface later.
We do exactly the same thing. Nearing the 55,000 mile service that I will do here. Then to the dealer at 60k. That will be it's last trip to the dealer until 80k for transmission service. I had them do it at 40k and will have them do it again at 80k. After looking at the procedure for changing the automatic transmission fluid in VW's, I don't want to mess with it and don't even want an independent shop messing with it.

What mileage are you at? I did the plugs at 40k. It was pretty easy and it definitely ran smoother afterward. Will do them again at 80k.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:14 AM
We're at 25,000 Miles. Regarding the plugs, I've read posts that say the job is a nightmare, that the coil packs refuse to come loose and that their wires can be yanked loose in the process. Even special tools are sold to help overcome it all:

gnition Coil Puller for Gen 3 1.8t and 2.0t Engines

I'm glad to finally read a post that says differently.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:59 AM
I'm about to change out the plugs & coils on my GTI. The coil packs are a know failure point on MK6 cars so I figure I might as well do that too. From what I've seen it doesn't look very difficult to me. Maybe the MK7 is different from my MK6?

Old 06-10-2019, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1 View Post
We're at 25,000 Miles. Regarding the plugs, I've read posts that say the job is a nightmare, that the coil packs refuse to come loose and that their wires can be yanked loose in the process. Even special tools are sold to help overcome it all:

gnition Coil Puller for Gen 3 1.8t and 2.0t Engines

I'm glad to finally read a post that says differently.
Maybe kids doing it that aren't very good? I read some of that stuff and saw the tool also. I have no idea why you would need the tool.

I will say that the connectors did not want to let go of the coil packs though. I ended up just leaving all 4 connected to the harness and pulled all 4 coils out of the holes together. Just left the wiring attached. Had to unclip the wiring in a spot or two to get enough play in the harness, but was easy.

Heck of a lot easier than replacing the headlight bulbs!