tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 PM
tint

people in pa what percent tint do you have on your fit

whats legal

and people who have darker how often do you get pulled over and what are the penalties

Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Good question. I plan on getting tint done soon and I was wondering the same thing.

I have read (and I am no expert) that you generally will not get pulled over for just having tinted windows. Usually you have to do something wrong first and then they add on illegal tint on top. The PA laws for tint say 70% of light must be let through - which basically means clear or the light tint from the factory. Anything darker is technically illegal. (Anyone with more knowledge feel free to add it)

Old 06-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
According to What is Legal Tint in Pennsylvania?,
What is Legal Tint in Pennslyvania?

The following tint is LEGAL IN PENNSYLVANIA!Unlike other States, which explicitly state a percentage in their law, Pennsylvania does not. Therefore it is necessary to make a 'reasonable' estimate.

Based on common sense and the Law in other States, it appears that tint with a transmittance much below 25-30% may not permit a person to view the interior and would therefore be ILLEGAL under current PA Law.

Therfore the term "Legal Tint" when used in this site, refers to ...
Tint with transmittance above approx. 25 - 30%, that conforms with all applicable PA Statutes, Regulations, and FMVSSs
All very confusing to me. I will not be tinting my windows

See the link above for more details.

Last edited by LizardKing; 06-21-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
I ended up getting 20% all around (obviously not the windshield) at Car Pretty Auto Salon. I like the way it looks. Not too dark, but hard to see inside the car in certain lighting conditions. It keeps the inside of the car much cooler in the summer heat.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by biblicone
I ended up getting 20% all around (obviously not the windshield) at Car Pretty Auto Salon. I like the way it looks. Not too dark, but hard to see inside the car in certain lighting conditions. It keeps the inside of the car much cooler in the summer heat.
Apparently, according to that website, tint that "does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle" is illegal. Don't get pulled over!

Old 06-26-2007, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LizardKing
Apparently, according to that website, tint that "does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle" is illegal. Don't get pulled over!
I hear ya. I dont drive crazy - but I know there is a risk. I wouldnt say you cannot see through it, but if i had some stuff in the back seat, you would have a hard time knowing what it is. If there is a person sitting there, you can see them though. So the definition of what is legal or illegal is subjective. Obviously if I give a cop a hard time then my tint will definitely be illegal...

Old 06-26-2007, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
I hope this helps.

Pennsylvania Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN PENNSYLVANIA?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Pennsylvania, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield -
No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window
- Must allow more than 70% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN PENNSYLVANIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows - No metallic or mirrored appearance.
Back Side Windows - No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER PENNSYLVANIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors - No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors - Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements - Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Medical Exemption - State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

www.tintcenter.com/laws/PA/