Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Tracking/AutoX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
I'm definitely doing an autox event at USAIR in May. Will be my first and last in the Fit.
We'll see about that.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
I will be going to my first track event (a road course school since I have never done any track events before) on the 7th. Going to change the oil (since it will be do sometime this week anyway, at 20% on the MM!) brake fluid (2.5 years old now) and check out the pads to see how much is left.

Anything else I should do besides a general going over of everything?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 PM
I use this badboy usually:

http://www.speedventures.com/events/tech.pdf

I haven't run with SV in years but I still use the checklist.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I use this badboy usually:

http://www.speedventures.com/events/tech.pdf

I haven't run with SV in years but I still use the checklist.
That's a good list! Gonna print it out and stash it in the glove box. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Well... I have been busy LOL

FlashPro FTW

Starting to look like a real race car:

At 2448 lbs with give or take exactly 100 WHP, on paper I am both FAT and SLOOOW. Still I had the best 60 foot times in my combined class (keeping up with an AE86 on slicks ) and am consistently in the top 40+% of indexed results.... The drivers I am competing against were racing at SCCA National events while I was a fetus, so I'm not unhappy with my results AT ALL

Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM
I am impressed with your progress since i've been seeing you post AutoX vids. I like your new launch control, the car seems to rotate smoothly off throttle

I always have a hard time picking out directional cones so I was practicing while watching your vids

Old 04-09-2013, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
5:48 nice save

Old 04-09-2013, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
^^ Actually, outside of COUNTLESS course walks and several driving courses, watching videos of other runs and other courses is one of the ways I prep/practice. It's also the only way I get to see a new site before I get there! I will troll YouTube and Google Maps/Earth before I head to a new place to get an idea of potential course lay outs and surface condition

Wafulz: In the last video? DUDE I trail braked a little hard.. the rear end hopped OFF the ground and pogo'd on the right rear... I was puckered FIR SURE LOLOL

I am 95% happy with the current suspension configuration (WISH I could find a SMALLER front sway bar.) I will do ONE final spring swap, and then I can focus on the FUN stuff. On paper, at 2448 pounds and 100 WHP I am FAT and SLOW for my class. Still, I am consistently in the top 40+% of indexed times and competing with folks who were doing National level SCCA Events when I was a Fetus

I want to get it as close to 2300 pounds as possible, and get back ANY torque between 3500-7500 RPM. With racing bucket seats, <12 pound rims, 2 pound lithium battery and custom exhaust I think 2375 is at least doable...I'll have to see how else I can class legally "add lightness." Light weight pulleys should help keep me in the desired rev range keeping me in what little power I have, and the 4-2-1 header into high flow cat with side exit 2.5 pound muffler should work for the last pounds of weight savings as well as a few WHP/TQ. MANY tune revisions will occur once that's on the car.... Either way, come NATIONALS in Sept, GAME ON

Last edited by TPColgett; 04-09-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
I am 95% happy with the current suspension configuration (WISH I could find a SMALLER front sway bar.)
Out of curiousity, have you ever tried taking the sway bar links off the front and tried running no bar? Also, what are you running at the moment for shocks/springs/bars etc. I also understand if you don't want to let the "cat" out of the bag if you're headed for Nats this year. And WTF is an AE86 doing in STF?? (never mind, I just reread and saw the combined class part...)

Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ragingti
Out of curiousity, have you ever tried taking the sway bar links off the front and tried running no bar? Also, what are you running at the moment for shocks/springs/bars etc. I also understand if you don't want to let the "cat" out of the bag if you're headed for Nats this year. And WTF is an AE86 doing in STF?? (never mind, I just reread and saw the combined class part...)
I am not a believer in closed competition, I happily will disclose my setup! I have been told if your looking for a second of time to make up, 3/10ths is in the prep and the other 7 is the driver

Currently I am on a set of new to me Skunk 2 Pro C coilovers, running the supplied 8K springs up front and a 10K 7 inch Swift spring in the rear. I also have a progress rear sway bar and a few bits of scaffolding that are supposedly chassis braces If you want detailed alignment/corner weight specs feel free to PM me!!!

I have not yet unhooked an end link or two, but it works in the 89-91 Street Touring Civics so that may be the next option... For this past weekend my buddy just ripped the whole bar off his car and picked up 1-2 seconds. More class legal weight reduction

The class I ran combined Street Touring FWD, F Street Prepared (where the AE86 and the 92 EG Civic si Hatch call home) and Street Modified FWD. The combined class is called S3 and we each run our raw times through an index. For STF that index is 0.750, which is the "best" index in the sport The FSP cars needed to be on average 1.5 sec faster in raw time and if my buddies SMF CRX had not blown a timing belt tensioner and a clutch cable he would have had to be 3-4 seconds quicker in raw time. Considering he has a 2.0 liter Vtec B series pushing 200+ WHP dragging around a sub 2000 pound race car with functional aero on 315mm R comp tires... He doesn't have to work TO hard to whoop me

Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 PM
I have never done autocross but am thinking of either using stock base auto fit or rental ford Focus which do you guys thinks would be best? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Flying kiwi
I have never done autocross but am thinking of either using stock base auto fit or rental ford Focus which do you guys thinks would be best? Thanks.
If the Fit is your car, RUN IT!

AutoX is one of the only safe ways to learn about car control at the edges of your cars handling envelope.

I would prefer the Fit in gneral to the Focus, BUT I have seen numerous rentals get flogged at events and it looks like a darn good time

Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Whichever one allows you to use a "2" position on the automatic shifter. As far as I can tell the Focus base that you'll probably get as a rental only has an "L" position, looks like Fit base auto has 1,2,3,D

I say this because being able to stay in 2nd will be useful, and you may have to go to 3rd. An auto tranny in D is annoying as hell when you're throwing the car around.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member

In AutoX you will not get out of 2nd gear. If your in an auto, manually select 1 for a good launch and then stick it in 2 and leave it there! Only on 1 course in 10 will you have a long enough straight to get over 55mph in an econo box

Old 04-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks. I am hoping to be able to do an event in early June.
Those videos are great.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. I am hoping to be able to do an event in early June.
Those videos are great.
Thanks! Glad you like them!!!

Here's another :

Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
oh man that final turn setup was slightly sadistic.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
oh man that final turn setup was slightly sadistic.
MORE so when you find out that the majority of things running up there are or at one point were Good ole American Iron

Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm really trying to decode what happened there...

Oh he's supposed to be traveling from left to right

Should have put more sandbags in the bed

Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Balast FTW!

There are more photos here Sac Fit Meet/AutoX 041413 - a set on Flickr

Quick Reply: Tracking/AutoX Discussion