Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Tracking/AutoX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Basically the upper bolt hole is not just a circular opening , it is more of an oval shape stretched left to right.

I would imagine a dremel or something along those lines could be used to widen the hole. Just take it slow and steady.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting. I'll have to think about this when I'm choosing the components for my setup.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Definitely better than a camber bolt. Really don't understand why this isn't done from the get go.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Nice additive BOM. I think people should open the bolt hole on their sussy versus relying on camber bolts. My sussy came with a wider opening that allows up to like -4 camber. Currently run at -2.4, but also with a slight, very slight bit of toe out. Like the better feel of turn in and tires are not getting chewed up either.

Never used HP+ pads, but will steer clear of them and continue using HC+ from ProjectMu. Great temp range of 0-800*C and have been on the car for the past 2 years now through 5 tracking days, numerous touge runs and daily driving and still using the stock rotors at all 4 wheels.

Interesting about the seat, is that a reclining type? Go with a true bucket that is a mold without any metal bits forming the seat.
I loved the feel of the HP+, but the consequences did not justify them.
I'm looking into the Ferodo DS2500 and AP Racing H200 Hybrids. Brakes are very personal items, and a good pad for me may be crap for you. It depends on how it feels for you, and whether it meets the demands of your driving style/discipline.

I recently had a scary bout of fade last weekend at a PCA event. 4 hard braking zones from 75 to 20mph and the HPS just couldn't take it

Autocross i never really find the limit of the HPS as temps are less extreme. But i do miss the sweet sweet bite the HP+ had
Originally Posted by mike410b
This widening of the bolt hole, could someone enlighten me on how one would do this, what it looks like, how it enable camber adjustment, etc? I'm a n00b when it comes to sussy. I just know what brands to look for when buying lulz.
I used a rather large round file. I tried using my Matco right angle grinder and a snap-on fine AND course cylindrical die. Neither worked as the die would grip the bracket and it would just spin around the hole.

I ended up using the file

Old 02-28-2012, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Basically the upper bolt hole is not just a circular opening , it is more of an oval shape stretched left to right.

I would imagine a dremel or something along those lines could be used to widen the hole. Just take it slow and steady.
good point. Slow and steady is key, as it's easier to shave away metal than replace it

Also, i never did try a stone-based grinding medium... so that may work beautifully. Worth a shot

Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
So, just file down the opening, and re-use the stock bolts? Then I can adjust the camber for my cut springs that I'm going to use ( ) this season?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
So, just file down the opening, and re-use the stock bolts? Then I can adjust the camber for my cut springs that I'm going to use ( ) this season?
Yes, re-use the stock bolts.

More importantly...
CUT SPRINGS?!?!?!

You're FAR better off slapping some Swift lowering springs on it!!!!
I'm all for doing things on a budget, but cutting springs is more shady than using camber bolts lol

If anything, cut springs are unsafe. ESPECIALLY if you're pushing the limits of the car and the suspension.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
I <3 this thread.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
I know they're bad, but I got ripped off in a deal and I won't be pushing the car at all. In fact I'll probably only be using the springs for about 2-3 months/1000-2000 miles before I put the car back to stock for the winter.

After that I'll do something that doesn't suck.

For me, 2012 is the year of the hardpack.

2013 will be the year of driving, once I've enjoyed my car being all pretty for awhile.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
I know they're bad, but I got ripped off in a deal and I won't be pushing the car at all. In fact I'll probably only be using the springs for about 2-3 months/1000-2000 miles before I put the car back to stock for the winter.

After that I'll do something that doesn't suck.

For me, 2012 is the year of the hardpack.

2013 will be the year of driving, once I've enjoyed my car being all pretty for awhile.
Well at least you know.
I thought you were GOING to cut them, so sorry about getting ripped off

I'm hoping to be on an adjustable set of coilovers soon, should get them right after the Dixie National Tour... so i'll definitely update with that once they're on.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Why something different? I can't imagine many better options than Bilstein?

I wish Bilstein made something for the GD. I'd buy them, get them revalved to my specs, new springs from Swift, bam, perfect.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Why something different? I can't imagine many better options than Bilstein?

I wish Bilstein made something for the GD. I'd buy them, get them revalved to my specs, new springs from Swift, bam, perfect.
You sir, are on the right track!
The Bilsteins are nothing short of amazing, and i'd recommend them to anyone first and foremost! Quality is superb and the ride is some sort of voodoo/witchcraft that resulted in a comfortable setup over bumps but firms up under side loads (through corners).

Here's my problem, I don't think Bilstein accounted for the use of 225 width sticky tires lol. The compression under normal loads with 205 width summer tires is fine if not perfect. HOWEVER, once you strap the 'Kooks on the springs just can't handle the load created by the increased mechanical grip. God knows how much body roll i'd have on slicks
So alas, im looking at options with stiffer springs.

If anything, the stiffer setup will be a supporting mod for my jump to SMF. I'd like to throw a sprintex supercharger on (once it's finally available) and some 225 Hankook Z214 race tires. National events would be out of the question, but i'd sure have fun playing with engine swapped civics and the like in regional events

Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
I ran auto-x with the Forester a lot last year. (7-8 events) I plan to run the Fit fairly seriously in H-Stock this year. We will see how it stacks up to the competition and from there I will decide if I am going to persue making it more track friendly.

As far as risks at Auto-x, while not as severe as most track days, things do happen. I was witness to this incident at the Marshalltown go-kart track. It is one of our more popular sites for an auto-x. We usually run there 4-5 times a year.

Coutour SVT Rolls at Autox in IOwa - YouTube

Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Im doing the 2000 ITR front and rear disc conversion/ upgrade as we speak. HERE I COME CARBOTECH XP10(front) and XP8(for the rear)

Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
O shi yes.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Funkster
I ran auto-x with the Forester a lot last year. (7-8 events) I plan to run the Fit fairly seriously in H-Stock this year. We will see how it stacks up to the competition and from there I will decide if I am going to persue making it more track friendly.

As far as risks at Auto-x, while not as severe as most track days, things do happen. I was witness to this incident at the Marshalltown go-kart track. It is one of our more popular sites for an auto-x. We usually run there 4-5 times a year.

Coutour SVT Rolls at Autox in IOwa - YouTube
I don't like that course at all. I am skeptical of walls in autox courses for this reason. Only event i run that has walls close to the course is at Daytona's kart track on the infield. I actually chose to run a slower pace this past year because of the placement of one wall in regard to corner entry and the slick painted rumble strips that lined the chicane just before the area with the close wall.

Still, there's risk in everything and you have to accept that fact. I love autocross so i decide to take the risk. Our region for Solo is very considerate of possible risk, and we try to reduce it as much as possible. Luckily our major site is a practice runway for the navy so the only issue is the runway lights (which can take out a radiator) and giant number signs.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
Im doing the 2000 ITR front and rear disc conversion/ upgrade as we speak. HERE I COME CARBOTECH XP10(front) and XP8(for the rear)
Nicely done sir
I'd love to do the ITR upgrade on my fronts, once i move out of STF

Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by The BOM
I don't like that course at all. I am skeptical of walls in autox courses for this reason. Only event i run that has walls close to the course is at Daytona's kart track on the infield. I actually chose to run a slower pace this past year because of the placement of one wall in regard to corner entry and the slick painted rumble strips that lined the chicane just before the area with the close wall.

Still, there's risk in everything and you have to accept that fact. I love autocross so i decide to take the risk. Our region for Solo is very considerate of possible risk, and we try to reduce it as much as possible. Luckily our major site is a practice runway for the navy so the only issue is the runway lights (which can take out a radiator) and giant number signs.

Every go-kart track i've seen looks incredibly dangerous with walls and poles abound, and the track is too narrow for mistakes like that. I will not put a car on a go-kart track. Every autoX i've done has been in a parking lot or airfield and has been pretty safe, but kudos to those that choose to run on small tracks like that.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
They do 5-6 drift events per year on a gokart track in these parts. Its pretty rad.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
They do 5-6 drift events per year on a gokart track in these parts. Its pretty rad.
They do one at a track in Socal too but I thought it was only semi-rad.

I would put a slutty car on there I guess.

Quick Reply: Tracking/AutoX Discussion