Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

devmail's 2007 SSM GD3 build - The Grey Goose

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Did my first MTF change since I got the car at 255,000 kms. Now at 300,000+ kms. The fluid was black....the new fluid was clear. I'd say it was long overdue!

Another thing, I bought the skunk2 magnetic oil and tranny drain bolts. The long bolt goes in the oil pan, the shorter bolt goes in the transmission. I found out I had them reversed as the long bolt wouldn't even thread in the transmission drain hole.

Also removed all but one airbag since if your SRS light is on, none of the system will work. Removed the module last night as well. The only airbag I can't removed is integrated into the driver's side seat belt. The passenger side one can be removed if you open up the rubber part near the tensioner. Looks like I will need a rollcage soon...and a new daily.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Airbag integrated into the driver side seat belt? Do you mean the seat belt locking charge?

Old 08-01-2017, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
dev, your project has inspired me greatly and for that i must thank you. you're absolutely right about the GD3 being an awesome platform too. i three cars and i absolutely love my honda, which is crazy to me since i had always hear people say "i love my honda". i get it now and i also love my honda gd3. she is well preserved with 155k on her, never been in an accident and routine maintenance like a mofo. i'm all over doing things ahead of time or a touch early. the only thing that broke in the past 7 years was the window and door lock switch panel on drivers side from what i presume to be my fault with having the window down when i smoke (even in the rain). my motor is rock solid with no leaks and solid power so this is where i am frustrated. i have removed the rear donut and just about anything i could scrounge out of the car, while still keeping a "normal" look. the weight reduction has been dramatic and i know the car is already something like 69/31 distribution, which i can't stand but i am having a thought to overcome this- 1 liter superbike motor, something like an 07-08 R1 or similar year fireblade motor. i am a motorcycle guy and own a couple of those too so getting a decent motor won't be hard. some of the newer 1000CC liter bike motors pump out 140-150 horses which is mind boggling already but can you imagine that weight reduction in the front along with that increase in hp!? definitely, giving this some serious thought but a few odds and ends need cleared on the fit before i proceed. new body work front and rear and those 13" enkei RPF1's, rear disc brakes, drivers and passenger seats changed to something like yours then removal of rear seat entirely. by that time, i'd like to elect the liter bike motor. please share your thoughts

Old 08-01-2017, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by idrivemyself
Airbag integrated into the driver side seat belt? Do you mean the seat belt locking charge?
Yes, that silver looking tube...what is it?

Old 08-01-2017, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tecra
dev, your project has inspired me greatly and for that i must thank you. you're absolutely right about the GD3 being an awesome platform too. i three cars and i absolutely love my honda, which is crazy to me since i had always hear people say "i love my honda". i get it now and i also love my honda gd3. she is well preserved with 155k on her, never been in an accident and routine maintenance like a mofo. i'm all over doing things ahead of time or a touch early. the only thing that broke in the past 7 years was the window and door lock switch panel on drivers side from what i presume to be my fault with having the window down when i smoke (even in the rain). my motor is rock solid with no leaks and solid power so this is where i am frustrated. i have removed the rear donut and just about anything i could scrounge out of the car, while still keeping a "normal" look. the weight reduction has been dramatic and i know the car is already something like 69/31 distribution, which i can't stand but i am having a thought to overcome this- 1 liter superbike motor, something like an 07-08 R1 or similar year fireblade motor. i am a motorcycle guy and own a couple of those too so getting a decent motor won't be hard. some of the newer 1000CC liter bike motors pump out 140-150 horses which is mind boggling already but can you imagine that weight reduction in the front along with that increase in hp!? definitely, giving this some serious thought but a few odds and ends need cleared on the fit before i proceed. new body work front and rear and those 13" enkei RPF1's, rear disc brakes, drivers and passenger seats changed to something like yours then removal of rear seat entirely. by that time, i'd like to elect the liter bike motor. please share your thoughts
Thanks for the kind words! Most would say I'm running the car but I have always wanted a street able race car and nobody seems to be giving the L15A much credit, but look at where the D series is now. 700 hp bisimoto d16z6...badass.

I love the motorcycle engines, my only concern is even less torque. But lightening the chassis will help a lot. I would love a 200 hp Hayabusa engine with 12,000 rpm redline. What are your plans for the drivetrain? Have you seen the smart cars with Hayabusa upgrade? They are really engine, rear wheel drive with a chain!! Crazy. One of my yoga teachers who lives out in the country is getting me to sell her Smart car for her and it's taking lots of will power not to buy it, lol.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by devmail
Thanks for the kind words! Most would say I'm running the car but I have always wanted a street able race car and nobody seems to be giving the L15A much credit, but look at where the D series is now. 700 hp bisimoto d16z6...badass.

I love the motorcycle engines, my only concern is even less torque. But lightening the chassis will help a lot. I would love a 200 hp Hayabusa engine with 12,000 rpm redline. What are your plans for the drivetrain? Have you seen the smart cars with Hayabusa upgrade? They are really engine, rear wheel drive with a chain!! Crazy. One of my yoga teachers who lives out in the country is getting me to sell her Smart car for her and it's taking lots of will power not to buy it, lol.
Yes, I have seen the smartcar busa transplants and I think they're fun but dumb. Too much power and too little wheel base, not a good combo. I see them all the time lifting up in the front and that's just nutty unless of course you're a drag guy, i am not. I prefer sports car style approach to my cars. Big part of my dislike of that transplant is the smartcar itself, horrible little car to begin with 😂
Tell you the truth, I hadn't even thought of drivetrain and then you mentioned chain and now I'm like f*ck..... Some of the BMWs have an axel drive setup but I am not familiar with these or how the heck I am going to get the two to marry. You ruined my dream brrrrroooooooo 😂

Old 08-01-2017, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, that silver looking tube...what is it?
It's an explosive charge that retracts the seat belt in event of an accident. I wouldn't know anything about setting them off, in case you're wondering...

Last edited by idrivemyself; 08-01-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
tecra, your dream is not ruined if you have fabrication skills OR lots of money! Yes I agree about the Smart car, it would only be a novelty...probably quite dangerous at speed.

idrive, that is bizarre...here I thought it was some type of airbag...but those are integrated into the seats, aren't they?

Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Yes. Side impact air bags are typically integrated into each of the front seats, unless you own a BMW and then they're in the front doors.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
Yes. Side impact air bags are typically integrated into each of the front seats, unless you own a BMW and then they're in the front doors.

So I see Spoon still sells their 6 pt roll cage. Not that I'll be able to afford that anytime soon. Still need a clutch(+flywheel) and Hondata.

Spoon Sports 6P Roll Cage GD3 | Password JDM

It does look like one could use the back seats still with this design.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, I've had 8-point cages with gussets and Nascar swing-out door bars welded up for less. I bet there's a local chassis builder near you who could do that with cross bracing and door bars, and save you some dollars on top.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, I've had 8-point cages with gussets and Nascar swing-out door bars welded up for less. I bet there's a local chassis builder near you who could do that with cross bracing and door bars, and save you some dollars on top.
Yup, Spoon inflation. Couple that with our shitty Canadian dollar and you're looking at selling a kidney and lung on the black market to afford it. Hahaha!

So all exhaust leaks are now fixed and it finally sounds good again. No more embarrassing rattle around 2500 rpm. I question the quality of the DC sports exhaust as my wife said she barely backed into a curb and yet the welds at the resonator and back of the muffler let go... unfortunately the muffler couldn't be welded/fixed. Thanks to cnordt for the replacement axleback. They also got the broken seat belt bolt removed on the back drivers side and stated I may need new strut mounts. Lots of little expenses lately thats keeping me away from a new clutch and flywheel.

Tonight I may take a look at the inner workings of the door and see what could be removed for weight. Also the underside of the hood could benefit from a hole saw.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
So I've decided not to hole saw anything, not worth the time and effort. If I do get a roll cage, I'd rather gut the whole door like this particular Jazz from Thailand: 2004 Honda Jazz - A Little Jazz With A Lot Of Heart

I was able to relocate the clutch resevoir and remove the bracket for that. Still finalizing the placement but will have pictures soon.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Here is the new clutch res location. Very easy to do. Remove the old steel bracket, loosen the rubber hose from the plastic clip holding it to the shock tower and then just reattach close to the reservoir. The clip holds it tightly, and the slack from the rubber hose is pulled towards the firewall.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
So I've decided not to hole saw anything, not worth the time and effort. If I do get a roll cage, I'd rather gut the whole door like this particular Jazz from Thailand: 2004 Honda Jazz - A Little Jazz With A Lot Of Heart
I hope that the gutted doors are the only thing that you're planning on copying from the inside of that car.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Puuuurge!

Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
One more week til the drag race. I calculated that I'll be around 475 lbs lighter than stock, so that puts me just under 2000 lbs. That includes removing most of the interior except the dash, stereo, heater core. Pumped!

Old 08-13-2017, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
One more week til the drag race. I calculated that I'll be around 475 lbs lighter than stock, so that puts me just under 2000 lbs. That includes removing most of the interior except the dash, stereo, heater core. Pumped!
Stereo! We don't need stereos where we're going! LOL, drop that 6lbs and make sure you dont forget some videos for us bro. Cant wait to see what she does out there.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tecra
Stereo! We don't need stereos where we're going! LOL, drop that 6lbs and make sure you dont forget some videos for us bro. Cant wait to see what she does out there.
Ill have the wife taking videos for me just like last year. I might get around to doing another in car video if I can find a nice open quiet road too.

Yeah I'll keep the stereo for now, gotta have my tunes.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Here's an acceleration video, same setup.

Quick Reply: devmail's 2007 SSM GD3 build - The Grey Goose