Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

New Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
New Forum

i suggest we open a debate forum. there are MANY MANY topics here that eventually end up as debates. It can be a simple subsection where intellect is challenged.

Just a thought

Old 08-30-2008, 01:32 PM
weird

Weird but cool idea. Will evidence be required? typically debates have judges that decide the outcome. This could stir up hostility! There seems to be some 1st/2nd gen bitterness anyway that's puzzling. Could this make that worse?

Old 08-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
well, only immaturity could make hostility and bitterness. i mod on another forum (gaming one) and we have pretty intelligent people over there. but yes, we do get the random person to enter a debate that wants to stir the pot. when that happens, i just delete his/her post and ban them from posting in that thread.

debates can be friendly and intense all at once, it just up to those in the debate whether or not they would be mature about it.

as far as judging, we don't do it. most of the time, one side has been calm enough to read through the others reasoning and will either just quit, or give in.

if it is political....absolutely evidence will be required. it's more or less about facts rather than opinion.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Why not?

What could it hurt? This is a forum which, by definition, is an informal debate of sorts. Having a section specifically meant for argumentation might make the discussions in other areas more civil.