Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Remove Announcements

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Remove Announcements

Can we get rid of some of the announcements? They take up the entire screen when you go into the forums. On a laptop you can't even see the first new post because of this. The goal of he announcements should be to make an announcement not something that is just stuck at the top of the forum which detracts from a user's experience. All of the announcements are useless as they've been read once (by me and probably every other longer term member here). Members that haven't read them, probably won't ever...
If I had the option to Hide them, that one be one thing... but I can't.

I've heard the argument that new members and guests to the forum need the info and while this might be true, that doesn't mean it should come as a detriment to the rest of the members. Plus, for them it is a one time item. For guests, they don't need to read about Rules, how to post pictures, the GE/GD Debate etc... because these thing only apply to members.

The Expierience... that's an announcement as it is a new feature and is positioned correctly - useful & properly placed. In a month or two, it should go away or else it because yet another waste of space.

The Rules & Posting of Pictures... I think that can go elsewhere. Maybe a list of rules/How-to's about the forum in a sub-forum where newbs (less than 100 posts) are directed when they log in. That list should also include info about search, etc...

The other Two Gotta go. the GE/GD debate is over. Include that in the rules & Regs. alos the 2nd Gen subforms one should go too. If the site is easy enough to navigate and organized properly, there's no reason to announce that there are separate sub-forums.

These announcements gotta go... or at least a feature added where they can be hidden permanently. How many members re-visit these threads... I bet the number is close to zero.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 07-02-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
To the MODS,

Thanks for cleaning up the forum a little. It needed it.

~SB

Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Bump... The Announcement for introducing "experience" is about to crest 1 year so i think it should be relegated to the info for newbies like the rest of the previous archived announcements.

~SB

Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
Time for another Clean-up?

There's these new sponsored threads that waste space at the top of the thread list and get in the way. Can we get rid of these in forums that don't have any relavance and then tighten up the Stickies/Announcements at the top of (at least) the 2nd gen forum?
We don't need the LED Keyring diy as a sticky and the "Experience" announcement is almost a year old so it's time to go. Also, the Conversion from USDM to JDM shouldn't be a sticky in my opinion.

The tops of the forums are getting too bloated again and anything that isn't directly related to the subforum should be the first to go.

~SB