Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

General WTB/WTT Section?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:38 AM
General WTB/WTT Section?

There is a General FS Section, but no want or trade section. I want to buy a GoPro HD camera and I don't even know where to post.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:38 AM
How about on a board that's about cameras.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I guess your a comedian, but was that supposed to be funny? Because it wasn't.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:00 PM
No, my point was simply that buying or selling a camera isn't about cars. I suppose if you wanted to buy something car-related it'd be appropriate to post in the FS section.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:09 PM
True. Normally, buying or selling cameras isn't about cars, but the GoPro is probably the most "car-related" camera out there!

Because you do obviously have no clue what a GoPro is, let me inform you.

GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
You're right, I didn't know.

Nice try. Still irrelevant.

I can play CDs in my car, but that doesn't make this the place to sell them.

How about you look for a camera website, or maybe a sports website?

How many people on this site do you think are likely to be selling this particular camera? It's a lot of effort for very, very little chance of success, and a lot of people reading a post that don't even know that it is, let alone have one for sale.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 AM
I appreciate the suggestions.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
How about you stop being such a ass Brain. The guy asked a legitimate question, just because its a car site does not mean people are only selling car parts. Every form I have been on always has had a general section to sell other things people have laying around.

BayareaKid This site does not do a very good job of separating its WTB and FS threads so I would just try making a WTB thread in the General For Sale Section and see if any one can help you out.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 PM
No reason for being impolite now, is there?

The whole point of having a car site separate from a camera site separate from a home repair site separate from a college alumni site is to avoid having every site clogged with everything.

That's why you don't post car questions on a camera site. Or cameras for sale on a car site.

Now if he had a car part for sale and were willing to take a camera in trade and posted that, that'd be a different story. Or if it were a camera specifically designed for cars, making it somewhat car-related. Otherwise it seems most polite to stick with what this site is about- Honda Fits. Many of us have stuff for sale, or services for sale, or are looking for jobs, but we don't go spamming every message board there is with irrelevant stuff.

And please leave the name-calling for people arguing about octane.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Take a look around at forums there is always a general section to sell thing. A forum I visit regularly has sold things like TVs, phones, game consoles, furniture, pets, Cd's, jewelry and beer brewery supplies. People have other needs and interests and some times they like to see if local people have what they need for cheaper then new.

The same car forum also has discussion on camera and technical because cameras tie in pretty well with the car hobby. If you take a second to just actually look around this site you will see there is other discussions going on that are not about cars. The reason there are Car forums and Camera forums and college alumni forums is because if your looking for specific info there a good place to go but they can also have what you might need for other parts of your life as well.

Last edited by MNfit; 01-21-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i'd just try putting up a WTB/WTT in the General For Sale section. it should be ok, it's technically not For Sale, but that seems like the closest section to put it in.

it's completely reasonable to buy/sell the GoPro HD on a automotive forum, a great deal of motorsport videos are shot using this.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:11 PM
I wear pants in my car. Most of us wear pants in our cars.

But should we have pants ads on this site?

Some boards have off-topic places to post. Others don't.

The question is- is it reasonable to assume that many people on the board would be interested in what you're selling, and that it's related to the subject of the board?

So by my way of thinking: An ad for Windex? Probably not. An ad for special window cleaner that's made for cars? Sure.

Would I open a thread here to plug what I do for a living? No. Except- if my comedy were specifically car-related then maybe, although still probably not (I have a bunch of car jokes but I'm not The Car Comic).

Of course it's up to the moderator of the board to set guidelines... if there is a moderator taking an active interest.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
it's a sports HD camera dude, it's very simple.

don't try to draw lines to connect this with drivers wearing pants lol, you're trying to make an argument out of nothing. he wants to buy a sports camera and is looking for a general WTB/WTT section. the closest to it is the Gen. For Sale section - that's all there is to it.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator
You just don't seem to get it do you? This is not a company this is one person just wanting to know if any one has a camera forsale. Just recently I licked up a ps3 for $150 guess where I got it from. I bought it off a local Honda forum, yea thats right bought a game console off a car forum *gasp. People have other hobbies and interest, or even crap they no longer use laying around that some one else might want. That's how I sold of aboun b of my Xbox and ps2 games, some old tires a engine, rims and some other things because someone posted a wtb thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 AM
I get it, I'm not a huge company either. And if someone posts something for sale that's not car-related I'm not going to complain to them about it. But he asked why there wasn't a place for it, and I explained why.

That the camera can be used with a car is a pretty tenuous connection to cars. My MP3 player can be used with my Fit too, actually plugged into it, but if I wanted to buy or sell one I'd look at a forum dedicated to electronics, not cars.

That's why there are forums dedicated to specific interests. Furthermore he was looking to buy, not to sell. What are the odds he finds someone here selling it?

Here's the consideration- how many people are on this forum, vs. how many might be selling it?

I participate in a few different forums on the internet, specific to specific interests, and often people run off-topic and get into political discussions, or they ask questions about repairing their computers, and there are places for such things on the internet. But this is a Honda Fit forum. And every off-topic post makes it that much less a Honda Fit forum.

It's obvious that one post isn't going to bring the place down. But if everybody did it... most of us have stuff we'd be happy to sell. But this is a Fit forum, not ebay or CL.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
I gotta say, I kind of agree here with Champagne here. I've been on a few different Car forums over the years and there's never been a general FS/WTB section. Ridgeline forum, Altima Forum, VTEC.net... all have FS/WTB but not general fs/wtb, it's all vehicle specific. A few other forums such as slickdeals is nothing but general forums so it has fs/wtb for anything.

i'd say if it was a vehicle mount camera like the suction cup video cameras you can get to mount on your car, that would be one thing... but another camera... I don't see it in fitfreak's FS/WTB section.

~SB