GI: Help us design a rear undertray/diffuser!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
GI: Help us design a rear undertray/diffuser!

Some of you may/may not know of One6 motorsports. I've been a customer of theirs for about 8 years now and I've known Mark and his guys to be excellent at what they do.

That being said, I've been spending a lot of time there lately and Mark and I have discussed designing a rear undertray/diffuser for the fit. Before we can undertake such a project, we need to be sure there will be interest.

Materials/price/design/etc. are unknown at this point. I'm going to try to spend some time this week mocking up some mounting points where I think the diffuser should go. Additionally, I will be researching designs for undertrays for other cars to get some design ideas. We will try to make this as universally exhaust-friendly as possible.

If anyone is skilled in AutoCAD and can help us make 3D models for the shop to work with, it would be incredibly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know how helpful autocad/etc will be of much help as opposed to just rapid prototyping something.

I'd be more than willing to lend a hand as I've been starting to work through it all myself. but as far as purchasing one, na, I'd rather make my own.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 AM
While the idea is of interest to me, you might want to submit a poll to ascertain member interest, willingness to purchase, etc prior to going to this much trouble.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
I think theres generally enough interest, but I just don't see enough design improvement to justify it (only evaluating the base ge8, the rear is already pretty well tray-ed).

although it is an ideal part to produce and offer as the undertrays are quite compartmentalized and divide nicely into shippable sections.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't looked at the rear section of the GE8's but for the GD's there is absolutely no rear undertray at all. The rear bumper acts like a parachute as there is nothing to divert the airflow down/away from the inside of the rear bumper.

The reason I was hoping for a drafter with CAD skills was because we were hoping to have the final product laser cut/hydro-jet cut for a higher quality finish. Something we'd be proud to market/put our names on.

Also, there seems to have been tons of interest on these forums, but everyone who has attempted to design such an undertray has given up/lost interest. Mark has talked about trying to make parts for a Fit for a while, so this is naturally where our discussion took us. Coming soon, he's hoping to do either a Civic or Fit MPG project to maximize FE.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrKelso
Coming soon, he's hoping to do either a Civic or Fit MPG project to maximize FE.
delicious... I use to do solar vehicle racing, probably why you see me popping my head into threads like this... I can't help but work on this kinda stuff.

ya I had a suspicion the GD's tacked the rear try by the amount of conversation you see about it. The GE's are really great about that, other than lacking a running plate along the drivers side.

I could help mock or fab up pieces but I haven't touched CAD in almost a decade.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
i was just gonna get one of these.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
drilling out your bumper is A) a bit ghetto and B) only scratches the surface on addressing the drag.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
Aside from just cutting down on the amour of drag (which is mostly what those bumper holes would do), we wanted the undertray so it could help smooth the airflow as well as direct the air better to help provide some stability at speed

plus, diffusers just look so much better than cutting up your car