The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

Speeding and lane discipline

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by litesong
Don't believe Gordio...Most times you can AVERAGE 55MPH. Traffic congestion will make you drive a bit slower & good flowing traffic will let you drive a bit faster. My little 4 sp. 1988 Ford Festiva averaged 45MPG w/highway high of 53MPG & I don't slow cars behind me to the extent they have heart attacks. I keep out of the way of fast drivers, but I don't care when they occasionally have to slow down to the speed limit. This planet is in crisis because vehicle owners in our culture don't care about the planet. I say VEHICLE owners because many modes of transport are way too big for the single driver they're transporting... the 10MPG Hummers, 8 passenger Explorers, & big SUVs. Its really too bad that people who do care about the planet will be suffering with the uncaring people that cause the precipitous crisis in our climate, & societies. But don't think the uncaring big vehicle leadfooters will place the blame on themselves, but they will be the ones to cry the most about polluters. If someone can only conduct their lives to their satisfaction by continually overspeeding in oversized vehicles, they are not PROPERLY conducting their lives.
You have no idea how much I HATE people like you that think that imposing your minority right on the rest of the society is the way to go

You're a freaking global warming guy, next step you guys will force everybody use candles and lots of warm clothes to survive during the freaking colder and colder winters (in Toronto this has been, and now is still winter up here, the coldest winter in 30 years...)
Chris

Old 04-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gordio
For many americans (not sure about canadians) but driving that slow is not a good way to save gas, cuz people will honk at you. Even cops might arrest you. The slowest u can go w/o traffic is probably 65mph in the slow lane. The stares u get for driving 55mph isn't worth great mileage haha.
Personally I don't care how slow you're driving as long as you're NOT in the fast lane and in front of me, all I ask (honking, flashing the lights, tailgating you...) is for you TO MOVE OVER and live the fast lane open for passing, that's the law and everybody must abide the law...
Chris

Old 04-09-2007, 02:03 PM
CV19...I said I stay out of the way of speeders, so that means I'm in the right lane & imposing no law on you. Your second post relented from your first post. But you still adamantly quote the LAW to tell me to stay out of your way. But I would be careful passing me. Seven times now, people who have past me, I have past 2 or 3 miles later, as a Stater is giving them speeding tickets.
I also stay out of your way at gas stations. Since I drive slower, I get 10% better mileage & am at gas stations 10% less than you. If anything, you are in my way, guzzling gas you shouldn't be using.

Last edited by litesong; 04-09-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by CB19
MOVE OVER and live the fast lane open for passing, that's the law and everybody must abide the law...
Chris
The law is that nobody is allowed to drive faster than the posted speed limit. The "fast" lane is to be used to pass other vehicles that are going slower than the posted speed limit. It's not a speed limit-free lane. If you are exceeding the posted speed limit in any lane, you are breaking the law.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by sorcerio
The law is that nobody is allowed to drive faster than the posted speed limit. The "fast" lane is to be used to pass other vehicles that are going slower than the posted speed limit. It's not a speed limit-free lane. If you are exceeding the posted speed limit in any lane, you are breaking the law.
That's up to a LEO to decide after he/she has got a reading on you, but YOU are NOT a cop to take things in your hands and slower the passing lane only because YOU are doing 65 in a 65 mph zone!!!!!!!!!!!! You are free to do 65 mph in a 65 mph zone (speed limit in Indiana) and nobody including myself will have something against you BUT you are NOT allowed to drive in the very left lane (called the PASSING LANE) if you have no intention on passing a slower moving vehicle, as soon as you passed that vehicle you MUST move over and let anybody else use FREELY the left lane including those that have no problem doing 100 mph (like myself)!!! By doing 65 in the left lane you are imposing your own will on those that can drive faster than you but they can't because of you, on the other hand you do not have to follow me when I'm doing 100 so obviously I'm not forcing you on doing 100 (actually 85-90, that's my average speed limit), you just have to SHARE THE (PUBLIC) ROAD AND MOVE OVER anytime you see somebody in your RVM approaching fast... and this IS the RULE OF THE ROAD, like it or not...
If I'm not wrong, in Colorado is perfectly lawful to exceed the speed limit even when the smokey is doing radar if he/she sees that you're doing it while passing another vehicle who's moving slower than you (and doing the speed limit), the cop is not gonna give you a speed ticket as long as you are really passing another car and then you MUST move over into the right/medium lane and continue the drive!
So, never forget, SHARE THE ROAD WITH ANYBODY ELSE, DO NOT HIJACK THE LEFT LANE JUST FOR YOURSELF!!!
Thank you!
Chris

Last edited by CB19; 04-10-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi sorcerio...Don't worry about CB19. He tried heavy handing me already(saying he hated me in his 8th word & not welcoming me as a new poster to this website). & when I showed him the unreasonableness of his position, he tried to pick on another newbee(you) about the same subject. He admits to reckless speeding at 100mph & averaging 85 to 90mph, letting his ego lead him to think he is a safe driver. I say let the police deal with him, because they will (& sooner than he thinks).

Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
LOL, wow CB, way to have a fit. Calm down. It's just a message forum.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Just trying to save somebody else from needlessly being ticketed. That stuff I said was what I learned in defensive driving class 10 or so years ago.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Don't try to save him from being ticketed - the tickets themselves will do him good. That is assuming he doesn't go to jail for those speeds.

BTW if there is a long line of traffic going 65 in the right lane and I am slowly passing them in the left lane at 70 - I have every right to be there. Some yahoo who wants to go 90 mph does not have the right of way over me.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Man, you really shouldn't be driving that fast. You put everyone else on the road in danger by doing so. Its not NASCAR out there man! If you want to race, go rent some time on a track somewhere. I am constantly being tailgated by guys like you when I am trying to honestly pass someone in the left lane, and it is very irritating. No, I am not law enforcement, and I don't try and prevent people from excessively speeding, but traveling at speeds in excess of 90 mph is simply retarded. In my line of work (flight nurse) we scrape guys like you off of the freeway often. Wise up and slow down.......you will save the taxpayers some money, and decrease road rage at the same time.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Just trying to save somebody else from needlessly being ticketed. That stuff I said was what I learned in defensive driving class 10 or so years ago.
Thank you for looking out for me... RD (STI), Scanner (BCD996T), CB Radio, Veil, LaserShield, not even one ticket for the past 3 years... never attended any defensive driving school, just a normal driving school over 24 years ago... 1 mil km and still no idea what a hell defensive driving really is
Chris

PS West Texas, about half of I-10 and I-20 is 80 mph during the day and 65 during the night hours, no Texas trooper (and they are using Ford F150 p/u trucks) will stop you for doing 90-95 mph... Arizona the same, 80 mph limit, never heard of any genocide on 4 wheels...

Last edited by CB19; 04-13-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:26 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by flytenurse
Man, you really shouldn't be driving that fast. You put everyone else on the road in danger by doing so. Its not NASCAR out there man! If you want to race, go rent some time on a track somewhere. I am constantly being tailgated by guys like you when I am trying to honestly pass someone in the left lane, and it is very irritating. No, I am not law enforcement, and I don't try and prevent people from excessively speeding, but traveling at speeds in excess of 90 mph is simply retarded. In my line of work (flight nurse) we scrape guys like you off of the freeway often. Wise up and slow down.......you will save the taxpayers some money, and decrease road rage at the same time.

driving fast is only dangerous when other people drive slow I make it a rule to myself never go above 80mph because it's a waste of gas, and theres no rush to get there that fast anyway. I hit cruise control when i hit 80, bercause the fit is fast enough that it's easy to go above 80.

Esp the fit, it revs at 4000RPM at 80mph. 90mph is like 4500RPM which is very close to its peak torque. It breaks my heart ot hear it rev so high. Why oh why didn't the fit come with a 6th gear : \

Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Gordio
driving fast is only dangerous when other people drive slow I make it a rule to myself never go above 80mph because it's a waste of gas, and theres no rush to get there that fast anyway. I hit cruise control when i hit 80, bercause the fit is fast enough that it's easy to go above 80.

Esp the fit, it revs at 4000RPM at 80mph. 90mph is like 4500RPM which is very close to its peak torque. It breaks my heart ot hear it rev so high. Why oh why didn't the fit come with a 6th gear : \
I tell everybody, never play with high speeds as long as you have no experience (driving skills) of managing such high speeds... no driving experience plus high speeds is just an easy recipe for the nearest ER hospital if not... but when you have lots of driving experience on all kinds of roads and seasons (black ice, snow, etc.), in my case over 24 years and about 1 mil km, speed should be just a normal thing but used only when is really needed... I fully agree that the faster you drive the more gas you gotta burn BUT, and I'm not lying at all, I'm doing a lot of 90 mph (rarely 100) and still get the very same mpg as I was doing a normal 70-75 mph... I'm doing this 90 mph for short distances, 5, 10 miles the most, for long trips, 100s of miles I just set the cruise control on the speed limit plus about 10-15 mph and try not to have lots of choices to slow down (that's up to all those in front of me who use the left passing lane w/out any respect for those behind them, and I hate that, you pass a vehicle and then no reason NOT to move back in the right or medium lane, not doing that is just the beginning of others starting to TAILGATE you and...)
I'm an independent broker, self-employed, delivering medical equipment (including blood samples (in special coolers) to ERs), if I had to do the speed limit probably I would lose about $1K/month, but with all the protection equipment I bought in time, RD, scanner, CB radio and others, it's very hard to get pulled over anymore, no protection whatsoever and just a sucker (and lots of them out there) would drive fast w/out being pulled over... in my area all troopers and city cops are on Ka band only, that's about their radars, no more X or K, and my RD always tells me where THEY are out there... on top of that a good CB and a scanner and you're set to go
Chris

Old 04-14-2007, 01:03 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Speeding and lane discipline

Thread split off from Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT).

Please review and observe the FitFreak Forum Rules.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:26 PM
i hate it as well when people drive below the speed limit and are in the very left lane but this thread is going nowhere

as fitfreak.net members we all have love for the honda fit which means we should all be getting along and helping each other

and welcome to the new guys

Old 04-14-2007, 02:53 PM
The regular left lane (not the HOV), very well known as the passing lane, MUST be used just for passing slower moving vehicles in the other lanes BUT the passing MUST not take miles and miles, in other words 70 mph passing somebody who's doing 65, this is NOT passing, you will just create a MASSIVE traffic jam behind you, the passing must be done with at least 10 miles over slower vehicle you're passing is doing, the shorter the passing the better for everybody, and then you just move back to the right or medium lane, passing is just over... until you have to do it again
Up here in Toronto area, on 401 (the busiest freeway in NA that links Montreal with Detroit), we have lots of large electronic signs that post different messages (chosen by the central traffic command, or whatever they call it ), one of the messages is LEAVE LEFT LANE OPEN FOR PASSING... no idea how many drivers understand the meaning of the message as lots of them do not speak well English (but that's another story), but at least the traffic people are doing their job properly...
Couple of years ago, on 407 (electronically-controlled toll freeway just above Toronto), two guys in two cars were doing exactly 110 km/h (in Ontario speed limit is 100 km/h or 60 mph), one in the mid-lane, the other in the left lane, the result a super-massive traffic jam behind them, they were trying to protest such very low speed limit, cops were called upon (I forgot if some charges were laid) but that was on TV during the evening news...
Chris

Old 04-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
The law for the fast lane is that if 5 cars behind you seem to want to drive faster than you, you must let them pass by changing lanes and let them.

It's not illegal to drive faster than the speed limit. First, it's guaranteed you can drive 5mph faster than it. Second, an important rule is you have to keep up with traffic. If everyoen's driving 80, you should too, but if you're not happy with that stay at the right few lanes.

I don't know how long you've driven if you think the fast lane is for that purpose. MOst people do not drive too slow. Taht's a waste of a lane if that was the purpose--that coudl be the original purpose, but nowadays it's the fast lane.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Damn CB19 chill out man. I didn't know Angry Canadians that don't care for the environment and speed at 100+ mph even existed.

I actually think that officially makes you an American.

Last edited by rekcah; 04-14-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by rekcah
Damn CB19 chill out man. I didn't know Angry Canadians that don't care for the environment and speed at 100+ mph even existed.
I ain't no freaking liberal Canadian, never been, never will...

Originally Posted by rekcah
I actually think that officially makes you an American.
Thank you... got that dozens of times, real life of course...

If you like Bill O'Reilly, for sure you won't have any problems with me, but if you hate Mr.O, for sure you won't find too many (if any) good things in me...
V (as in Victory in Iraq and Afghanistan)
Chris

PS This thread was suddenly moved from its original place, Echo Fit, where two Forum Moderators, one Canadian and one American have no problems with this subject, by, my guess only, the Administrator of this forum who has joined (or whatever) in Dec. 2004, about 18 months before first Fit showed-up in NA, so obviously the administrator is neither American or Canadian... I don't know if I feel at home in such place as I live in NA and United Nations is not my freaking head of state!!!

Last edited by CB19; 04-15-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by CB19
I ain't no freaking liberal Canadian, never been, never will...

Thank you... got that dozens of times, real life of course...

If you like Bill O'Reilly, for sure you won't have any problems with me, but if you hate Mr.O, for sure you won't find too many (if any) good things in me...
V (as in Victory in Iraq and Afghanistan)
Chris
Sounds like a US republican to me.

I do tend to drive my FIT slower then my RSX. I keep it 65 unless I hit allot of slower traffic then I kick it up to 70-75 to get around it. So far I have averaged about 33-34 mpg but I only have 2,300 on the FIT since a just bought it a few weeks ago.

Of course I always stay to the right lane if it is open. I have been up to 90 mph and the FIT seemed lass stable then my RSX at 150 so I don't push it much. Of course the RSX feels better since it is mode for track racing.

and yea I like Mr. O too

Quick Reply: Speeding and lane discipline