The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

Minor need to rant

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
No one thinks of other drivers.
This is a good way to put it.

'Round here you'd better learn to push your way in, small car or not, because 75% of the time nobody is going to let you in if they can help it, no matter how long your signal is on. Usually better to not use signal and ambush lane change, but I try to avoid that unless people are really TRYING to be assholes.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
This thread got me mounting my LX5 on my Gorillapod to shoot video of my daily commute. Anyone wanna watch? LOL

The raw AVCHD file is still in the camera...will have to process it into an MP4 via Handbrake, then convert it to FLV.

Just hit me up with a "yea" if interested

Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Oh, I won't argue about driving issues elsewhere. When I was in Cambodia, I REFUSED to drive, makes me want to faint, just thinking about it.

Anyway, onto today... I'm "speeding" along in the left lane, going, maybe 70-75 mph. Fast enough to not be considered slow, slow enough to not be considered fast, am I right?

This SUV in the right lane, takes its sweet ass time to realize there are cars merging in from the ramp.

What does he do?

Lane change into the middle? Nope.

Double lane change? Yup, right into my face.

I had to slam on the brakes to avoid eating his ass. What made me REALLY PISSED OFF, was my mother was with me. She was freaking out (on top having to brace herself to avoid leaning too far forward).

I don't get it... the middle lane, which he could've taken his time to move into, was in fact, clearer than my lane. He would've had plenty of room ahead AND behind (especially behind) him.

I just don't get it...

On a side note... my family has way too much history with regards to short tempers... when I started to move the right for my exit, she was freaking out again, thinking I was going to get in front (or even along side) of him to start trouble. And, thinking about it... I might have done that (albeit stupidly), if she weren't there.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
You're just a SUV magnet Goobz! Maybe you need some Mad Max grille guards!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
You're just a SUV magnet Goobz! Maybe you need some Mad Max grille guards!
OH NO... I may get tempted to "traffic check" (a la Burnout style) the idiots. I know I almost did a few times when I was driving the Nissan Pathfinder with its guards.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I had to slam on the brakes to avoid eating his ass. What made me REALLY PISSED OFF, was my mother was with me. She was freaking out (on top having to brace herself to avoid leaning too far forward).

... when I started to move the right for my exit, she was freaking out again, thinking I was going to get in front (or even along side) of him to start trouble. And, thinking about it... I might have done that (albeit stupidly), if she weren't there.
I hear you there brother. I got chewed out by my girlfriend for that exact same situation. The really irritating bit is that to her it looked like my fault!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
I started this thread to vent... so I'm gonna do exactly that.

I tell ya... these people are fucking crazy drivers.

Firstly the stupidity of other drivers that indirectly affect me.

So, near where I work, someone decided to create a three car crash (it looked like the SUV/minivan in the back hit the sedan in the middle hard enough to then hit the other sedan in front). The fire department came out along with additional police cars. That blocked off the second road around my workplace. The first road block was a block party.

That made things a bit difficult to get around to do my deliveries, since I would have to make HUGE loops when coming back from the north.

Eventually, that got taken care of... until ANOTHER accident happened right on the same spot!!! I mean, WTF?!?

This one took longer to clear away, because apparently, despite being only two vehicles this time... it was more severe, maybe? They also finally decided to put something on the ground to absorb whatever it was the leaked from the first accident (gas? coolant? oil? no idea).

So, on to the reason I'm reviving this thread again...

I was passing this guy. He was going a little slow for my liking, so I just decided to pass him. No big deal, we had two lanes in each direction. He's not the issue, I just wanted to be clear that I was already going fast (okay, fast-ish, 40 in a 35, meh). Up ahead, another car decided to turn onto the road. Now, he was going quite slow and I had to option to simply pass him or pull behind him. But, since the turn was coming up (the road turns left and then right through an intersection), I didn't feel like cutting him off before that turn.

I lane change behind him and gradually brake (I try not to brake more than I need to) because the lane I was using to pass the other car turns into a right turn only lane. And I wasn't planning on turning right.

He makes the left in front of me, then I follow suit. But because it's a left/right zig-zag, I end my left turn in the further lane (which is another right turn only lane). He, like many other drivers, doesn't do that. He ends his turn in the left lane and then lane changes over. I don't mind folks that do that (as long as it's reasonable and not at the last second). And because I expect most people to do that... I don't speed up and basically wait for him to lane change. Incidentally, I'm still braking just because of this, whereas normally I would coast through the turns if there were no one ahead of me.

We go down the street and stop at the next light. Well, he stops.. while I squeeze by and turn right to park around the corner.

Suddenly, he turns his car to follow me and parks next to me and decides to come bitch at me about my driving. That I was being too aggressive, driving too close and trying to pass him.

I don't get it... I was going faster than him BEFORE he shows up. I brake to slow down behind him and I let him do whatever it was he wanted to do.

But because I ended my left turn in the right lane, he got scared and thought I was trying to pass him. Wouldn't you think that, if I were trying to pass, I'd be... oh, I dunno, further up next to him trying to speed by. Not waiting BEHIND him?!? There's only two lanes to turn into and no other traffic to deal with in the turn (its setup that way)... what is wrong with turning into that lane?

And of course I'm gonna be close to him... we're doing the freaking turns at 10-15 mph (a turn I normally start at 25-30 mph). How far back do I need to be... a MILE?!?

And most people accelerate out of a turn, even if it's only 5 mph more... this guy, just like everyone else in this stupid town... slows down AFTER the turn. I don't know why... we're already going 10-15 mph in a 20 mph zone... why are they braking even harder?!? It'd be easier for me to keep my distance if he didn't keep braking and slowing down ever more for no apparent reason.

~~~~~

On another note... why do people go slow when I'm behind them... but suddenly speed up when I try to pass? I just don't get it!!!!

This is most obvious on the highway. I'll approach another car that is ahead of me in my lane. Sometimes I'm gaining really slowly... a few times I'm gaining VERY FAST. Even when I'm gaining really slowly... it feels like I have to slow down even more as I gain. It's like they see me coming and slow down. I know they're slowing down because I check my speed. A lot of the time, if I'm not in a rush... I'll basically pace them from a bit behind them. I actually set it so that I'm VERY SLOWLY losing them (so I don't have to brake or slow down because "I'm getting too close"). But after a few seconds, it looks like I'm gaining... so I slow down. Then again and again, until I'm fed up.

At which point, I speed up to pass. And guess what... now they're suddenly going 10-15 mph FASTER than when I first started pacing them. A few have actually made it hard for me to pass them, despite going 30 mph over what I was just doing. I catch up to them doing 60... and can't pass them doing 90? How does that work?

For the last mile or two, they're driving slow... and suddenly, they want to go fast. I can understand if they're going slow because of traffic ahead of them... but there's no one in front of these bastards.

~~~~~

Why the fuck do people think it's a good idea to signal AFTER they've started making their turn?

There have been a few times where I pull up to a stop and there's another car, either ahead of me in my lane, or across the intersection from me. No signal the entire time they're stopped... and the moment they start turning, their signal comes on.

I'm like... "yeah, I figured you were turning, when your car started ACTUALLY turning."

Isn't the point of turn signals to indicate your intent BEFORE you actually do it?

The worst is when I come to a stop after the guy across from me. I start moving straight, and of course he moves, THEN flips his signal and honks or stares at me as I pass (sometimes throwing arms up in some gesture). It's like, am I supposed to be able to read his mind or something? How the heck am I supposed to know you want to turn if you don't use your signal until after you start your turn?

~~~~~

I think I've complained about this before... but what's up with some drivers coming out of a ONE-WAY street? A wide one-way street at that. It's wide enough to have 3 cars spaciously side by side. Why are they sitting to the right... to make a left turn? Why are they preventing other people from doing anything else?

I try my best to use the "lane" closest to the direction I want to travel. By that, I mean if I'm making a right, I'm moving to the right. If I'm going straight, I'll be in any lane marked for straight or in the middle if there's no markings. And of course, to the left for left turns.

One woman actually had a cow about me moving to the left, because she was sitting in the middle lane. And we were both making a left turn. I even stopped "behind" her to let her go first.

Many other times, I want to make a right, but I'm stuck... waiting behind a guy that is trying to make a left turn from the right side.

Oh, this road actually had arrows on the ground... a right arrow on the right, left on the left and straight one in the middle. Yet, these people can't seem to see it. (or for that matter, the opposite end of that road, where they're exiting out the wrong way on a one-way... seriously, you can't see the two one-way signs next to you?!?)

If only people would just realize what the fuck it is, they're doing.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
so true, my friend, so true.

the other night, while driving home, i was following a car, more like coasting behind, and he was signalling to make a left. i had plenty of time to make my right turn coasting behind him and i was at the corner about to make my right when he decided to suddenly make a right. good thing i hit the brakes or i would have hit him.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Hey Goobs a shout out to you.!.!.!.!

I've been laying real low for a while, but every once in a while something pops up in my email followings that draws me back in.

I can only say that the end of last years school session I was driving past where the kids flock out of the H.S. parking lot at the end of the day and had a kid cut me off jumping the gun to get into traffic and went off on me the same way you just described. Crazy fool! Got my goat so much I stopped into the local police station to lodge a complaint. Trooper tells me road rage at that intersection was a common complaint - he took the license plate number and said he would bring it into the school's principal. He said he 'loved talking' to the students that way, lets them all know there's no place to hide sometimes. He also said, with a smile, he liked to make the trouble makers sweat a bit in front of the 'cool-ass' peers.

Keep a cool tool and remember that Jai yen [cool heart] thang.

Peaceandlove brother.

K_C_

Old 09-29-2013, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
KC, jai yen don't work for me.

I was being calm and he follows me to pick a fight.

In fact, I think he might be the same asshole from before. A very similar incident when coming off the highway in the neighboring town.

I drive for deliveries 6 days a week. Besides that, been driving for some 20 years. Sure, I'm probably not as old as that asshole. But aside from these two incidents in those 20 years, I've not had anyone stop me or follow me to bitch about it. I have had a few incidents where the other driver honked or flashed their lights at me, but that was usually because they were trying to do something stupid.

And as for my supposed tailgating... what a load of shit. I'm usually the one that's trying to make sure I have enough "cushion" around me. Not like these other idiots that are boxing themselves in.

~~~~~

Last month, I got a ticket for "disobeying stop signs." The cop claimed I was rolling through my signs. This was at night. I don't know about you guys, but I find it really hard to tell the if a car in front of me is still slowly rolling to a stop (or through) verse actually stopped at night.

But I can tell you one thing. When I come to a stop sign, I use 1st gear to start moving, unless its winter and the road is slippery. Now, the thing about me and first gear is... I have trouble using it unless I'm fully stopped (can never match the rev). And I don't like to do things that are troublesome.

Also, when I actually come to a stop... unlike some folks that are (diligent?) about staying in gear... I am braking in neutral. Again, troublesome because I tend to stall out if I brake in gear (I forget about it near dead stop). I then ease up near the end so the car doesn't jerk and on flat areas, I completely let go while I'm "stopped." I figure, my car ain't moving, no point in holding the brakes. So, I think that's why he's accusing me of rolling through, despite actually being stopped.

Unfortunately for me... I can't prove a damn thing. And a habit I make use of while driving isn't useful in court.

*sigh*

Oh, at the stop I supposedly rolled through... across from me was a guy that stopped before me... but decided to signal his intention to turn AFTER I had already started through the intersection. The entire time I was rolling up when he rolled up and stopped... no signal.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Left turn into closest lane unless the turn lanes are divided. He did the right thing. That's hardly something to get pissed about though and he was probably just having a bad day.

Sounds like you've got some overly sensitive drivers where you're at. I would just laugh at them and keep driving. I'm honored I could impact your day so much as to upset you and your shitty driving. Now go about your obviously miserable life, I don't have time for you, your cell phone, your minivan, or your self-loathing and over-compensation. Maybe your job sucks. Maybe your wife is cheating on your because you're bad in bed. I don't care. I have shit to do. So excuse me while I pass you on the right at the top of 3rd on the freeway. Why? Because I know you saw me coming while you're going 5 under in the left late and didn't move over. Because I gave you a second to move over and you didn't. Because I am a driver. Because fuck you.

P.S. I will be sure to cut back in front of you way earlier than you're comfortable with. Have a good one.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
It never freaking ends...

This guy in a Yaris is pacing other cars. I don't feel like pacing, so I move to pass.

What does the Yaris do? Guns his engine to pace me and prevent me from passing.

I'm not trying to race him... I just don't like driving bunched up with other vehicles.

I let him go and pull behind him because we're coming up on traffic in my lane... he slows down.

FUCKER!!!!

Incidentally, this Yaris has a fart pipe and "sponsors" on his rear quarter window.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
probably saw your mods and wanted to mess with you just for the hell of it.

lot of people that shouldnt be driving out there..

Old 08-30-2014, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
probably saw your mods and wanted to mess with you just for the hell of it.

lot of people that shouldnt be driving out there..
What mods?

Swift springs... not very visible unless you're under the car. You wouldn't notice the drop in height from stock unless you've stared at Fits a long time.

Supercharger... clearly not visible. Heck, barely audible from more than a car length away. The engine itself is pretty loud.

I don't have a fart pipe. The only sticker on my car besides my plate stickers is a "shocker" sticker in the rear quarter panel glass.

About the only other visible mods are my tint and projector headlights (with HID inside). Not sure how much those are considered "racer/ricer."

~~~~~

Dammit, the stupidity never ends.

All evening while doing deliveries it's one little thing after another.

Gonna leave out all the small ones, too many... let's just say, I hit "trinity" ("things happen in threes") on my first delivery and then multiple times over before finishing the evening.

Anyway, to the main issue... a numbskull in a Nissan 350/370, I couldn't tell since it was dark and I wasn't looking that intently.

He's cruising down down the highway at some 65-70 mph when I get on the highway.

I normally go 75-80. And with a short merger I don't have time to speed up, slow down and get jerked around... so with traffic behind me and clear in front, I just get up to speed and hope no one is coming down the next merger (which comes off the same road I came from, just the other side).

So, I want to lane change from the slow lane (to stay away from merger lanes), across to the "fast" lane. With me already going faster than the 18 wheel semi next to me, my options are...

Actually, I have no options, because the Nissan and a motorcycle in front of him are pacing along at 65-70... forcing the 18-wheeler to tail gate the Nissan (I call that being STUPID already, letting an 18 wheeler tailgate!)... and there's a slow car in my lane closing any gap in front of the motorcycle. And yes, solid wall of headlights behind me. Okay, a bit of exaggeration, but even if I was the type to slow down for a semi to pass, there's no room behind me or the semi anyway. Like I've said before, that merger is ridiculous... not enough room for anyone to safely merge. Going slow or stopping at the end of the ramp just makes it harder to merge AND avoid the very next ramp (there was a google street view going down I-94 across Willow rd, showing exactly what I'm talking about with the van taking the pictures forcing one car into the shoulder, and then the google van swerves to avoid the new car on the next ramp if you follow the sequence).

With, what I consider, plenty of room between the motorcycle and the Nissan (odd, isn't it? no room in front or behind, just in the middle... what's up with these two).... I make sure I'm clear of both and lane change... but because of their lower speed, I have to lane change AGAIN quickly into the fast lane, to avoid running over the motorcycle.

Maybe 15-30 seconds later, I see the Nissan charging up my backside, whip to the right of me, barely pass me and cut me off within inches of my car and slam on his brakes (also narrowly avoiding the car in the middle lane I would be passing soon).

I know he wanted to pick a fight, because if it was a simple case of passing me, he wouldn't need to squeeze between me and the cars in front of me... since there's an open lane to his right.

I decided I just wanted to get away from his stupidity... I eased off my pedal and let the car I just passed, pass me by... then I lane change to the slow lane. However, knowing he was trying to pick a fight, I didn't accelerate to pass any of the cars.... and watched his stupid ass zoom up, squeeze his way through cars and hits his brakes AGAIN about a block up in my new lane. With him obviously waiting for me... I wait until he drifts halfway to me (I know, I'm the one that's "catching up"), then I double lane change behind that same car earlier and this time, I slowly started to accelerate up to my normal speed.

I wasn't sure if he would speed up and force his way through the cars in the middle lane to get in front of me again, but once I saw that got himself partially blocked in... I accelerated faster to put some distance between us and then took my exit. Also odd, that I drove at roughly the same speed I normally do (barely got back up to 75-80 before my exit came up). I guess we might've been going 60-ish when I passed to the right and then back to the left, behind that other car.

About halfway down the ramp, I saw him trying to catch up AGAIN... and then, for some strange reason... "pace me" from the highway. He didn't even bother coming down the ramp with me. He came to basically a full stop on the highway. I waved "bye bye" at him (swung my whole forearm side to side), though I don't know if he saw. Otherwise, I don't know what he was thinking there... but once we were out of view of each other, I heard him take off.

He had a modded Nissan 350/370z... well, actually, the only mods I could see were the front hood had a carbon look and his mufflers were fart pipes (one left, one right side). I mean, even stock, it should blow the Fit away (yes, even with a supercharger in the Fit, which he wouldn't have known anyway)... so he must have tiny ass balls to feel threatened by me in my Fit. I gave him plenty of room the one and only time I lane changed directly in front of him. I was actually listening for his fart pipes in case he decided to accelerate to prevent me from lane changing between him and the motorcycle of course, I would be boxed in if he had).

My mom started acting like it was my fault and I was trying to pick the fight... that I should let him go...

WHAT THE... I mean, I DID let him go, he's the one that came after me. What the heck else am I supposed to do? It was clearly obvious that slowing down wasn't enough.. and later it showed that he was willing to stop and wait too!

I was already pretty grumpy before this stupidity... and she's telling me to let go of all these "trivial" things. I would, if they occurred the way I think they should... once in a while with time to get over them in-between. But when they're occurring to me every 5-10 minutes (the joys of a delivery job in an area full of self-entitled, selfish idiots... yes, you own a $50k car, but it would be nice if you could please stay in your lane)... I feel like bashing my head against a concrete wall!