The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

For the readers, and "students of life" on the forums.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Banned
For the readers, and "students of life" on the forums.

I want to recommend a great modern author for people who like weird fiction/action/horror stories.

Dan Simmons is one of my favorite authors, and I have been collecting his books for about the last 20 years. If these are your favorite genres of literature, try to find "Carrion Comfort" and "Rishi" as his earlier books. If you like them, he has a rather large collection of works that will amaze you.

I am currently reading "The Terror". This book is dedicated to Simmon's love of the original early '50s SciFi/horror movie "The Thing", starring Kenneth Tobey (from TV's "Whirly Birds"), and James Arness (from TV's "Gunsmoke") as the creature.

"The Terror" is the name of one of two British research ships that sailed in the 1848 time frame to find the "Northwest Passage"- an as-yet (in 1848) undiscovered sea route through the Arctic Ocean, along the northern coast of North America via waterways amidst the Canadian Arctic Archipelago, connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

The two ships become ice-bound for two years, during which time the crews of both ships are pursued, killed and eaten one-by-one by a 14-foot tall alien visitor to earth. Aside from being trapped in frigid conditions and running out of food and survival supplies, being stalked by something completely unnatural and alien makes life a nightmare for the two crews.

The story is full of true, technical sailing details from the 19th. century, and the story builds in intensity with excruciating living difficulties in the daily lives of the explorers.

"The Thing" was one of my favorite SciFi/horror movies, until the remake starring Kurt Russel came out about 10 years ago. Then the newest "remake" came on our premium movies channels a few weeks ago, and I thought "Why do we need a third remake of "The Thing"????? Well, the last remake was actually the story of the circumstances that created the middle remake movie and was extremely well done.

I am betting that the Simmons book will become a GREAT movie because of the intense detail that Dan Simmons invests in all of his books. I met the guy at an author's book signing party at a local book store in San Jose, CA. As he signed my small collection of his early books, I told him that I was reserving four feet of shelving for his upcoming works. He appreciated the compliment, and his works since that time 20 years ago have more than justified the storage space. This is a GREAT author, the equal of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Isaac Asimov, and Robert Heinlein.

All of the above, of course, assumes that there are people on car forums who read.

Last edited by Triskelion; 07-30-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
LOL, well, I read anyway .. a lot. But not so much fiction and not a horror fan. Thanks though for something informative

Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by fujisawa
LOL, well, I read anyway .. a lot. But not so much fiction and not a horror fan. Thanks though for something informative
OK, read this book and you'll learn about 19th. century sailing techniques in the Arctic Ocean. Congrats on being a reader. That's me- informative.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Banned
SHeesh..I might get a prm intake before I read that much but it sounds interesting.