2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Finally : Straight Pipe Axleback Sound Clips

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Is the backfiring present with the stock exhaust or an axle back, it's just too quiet to notice it? Or does replacing the muffler with a straight pipe cause it? If so, any chance it could hurt the engine?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Is the backfiring present with the stock exhaust or an axle back, it's just too quiet to notice it? Or does replacing the muffler with a straight pipe cause it? If so, any chance it could hurt the engine?
Even stock you can get little "back fires" in the exhaust.

I have a 2012 MT and have it axle back straight piped (Same one I have on my 09 sans the huge boso tip) and its awesome. Dont know about the automatics but with the MT's if your in gear at a higher rpm and you let off and TAP the throttle quick you can make it backfire.

Mine right now goes from the factory size to a 3 inch down turn on my 2012 and sounds awesome. Although a tad loud due to where we placed the exhaust. I also did melt the underside of my bumper a bit... Again placement is key! We modded the one from ym base 09 to my 2012 sport in about 15 minutes before we went on a road trip so no R/D time was there haha.

I find my exhaust is loudest under deacceleration at higher rpm. It does drone a bit when loaded hard.

I have a video of my boso pipe on my 09 if anyone wants.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
ahhh AARON i should of heard urs when i met ya dang i been wanting to knw what it sounds like in person

Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wafulz
ahhh AARON i should of heard urs when i met ya dang i been wanting to knw what it sounds like in person
Ha! It's actually pretty quiet from the outside. I had my wife do a pull down the street so that I could hear it, and it was very quiet. More throaty than anything.

Having said that, I have heard another GE with a straight pipe and it was ridiculously loud. He had also removed the mid-pipe resonator and added 2-4" slanted pipes (bosozoko style). I liked the sound of it, but could never stand it for daily use. On the freeway with my window down, I could hear his car over my radio and he was behind me.

I think it all comes down to the pipe size that is used. I kept the stock size from the flange back to the tip and went with a small tip size - just a tad bigger than stock, but still within the cutout in the bumper.

Last edited by Badwrench; 10-25-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cipher
Even stock you can get little "back fires" in the exhaust.

I have a 2012 MT and have it axle back straight piped (Same one I have on my 09 sans the huge boso tip) and its awesome. Dont know about the automatics but with the MT's if your in gear at a higher rpm and you let off and TAP the throttle quick you can make it backfire.

Mine right now goes from the factory size to a 3 inch down turn on my 2012 and sounds awesome. Although a tad loud due to where we placed the exhaust. I also did melt the underside of my bumper a bit... Again placement is key! We modded the one from ym base 09 to my 2012 sport in about 15 minutes before we went on a road trip so no R/D time was there haha.

I find my exhaust is loudest under deacceleration at higher rpm. It does drone a bit when loaded hard.

I have a video of my boso pipe on my 09 if anyone wants.
Do you have pictures of either setup? Also, def. link the video.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Badwrench
Do you have pictures of either setup? Also, def. link the video.
Definatly the first setup..

Mind you it is a little greasy stepping up to the 3 1/2 inch boso pipe lol. Welds were at least nice courtesy of my welder friend but the pipe leading to the tip was mild steel and I needed to repaint it when I had it >.> It rusted through the VHT as we only did two quick coats and it sa thin paint.

I need to paint this tip too, its gotten rusty after it was a nice purple color for a few weeks. Going to just black it as its a little down turn. I gotta run outside to the garage and snag a few pics for you. Gimme 10-15

Video

Pics

Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Shitty phone pics of my started to rust already down turn!

Yeah it is slightly off center. But We've been way to lazy to fix it and it looks good.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Nice. Paint it black and you are good to go.

By the way, real Vertex fenders on the S14? My ex room mates' car was the first S14 to have a full Legit Vertex kit in the states.

In the background of a pic the day I got my car.
Name:  SAM_4675-1.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  78.8 KB

Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 PM
I'd have to check. I recently got my hands on the car after I traded my Levin in. My room mate now had this car and he sold it to our friend who traded me... XD

I know the fronts are B-magic's for sure though, cant remember what the rears are.

The car originally had a genuine Origin kit on it but my room mate traded that kit for a instant gentlemen which has taken forever to ship and is finally almost here. Im probably buying that kit to go with the fenders. I MAY get the origin front bumper too if he can get it back. Im not too concerned with the body. Having bumpers is nice but Im going to be putting huge bash bars on the car.

But yeah its just a rolling shell for now... I have a blacktop SR sitting in the garage too for the car if I decide to build the s14.

PS car is located in Canada not many s14's around here drifting haha.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 AM
Sounds good!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Im running full straight after cat with dual boso tip. it sounds pretty raspy..

Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 AM
my custom 2.25" SS catless mid-pipe completed 05/2011 with Tanabe Touring Medalion axel-back.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Very nice evil. That would never fly in California. Already been checked at a safety stop (lic, insurance, reg), and they looked under the car for the cat. Didn't say a word about the lack of a muffler!

Old 12-07-2013, 03:53 AM
does it decrease low end torque ?

hi freaks.. i was looking a couple of threads on exhaust systems and came across this thread ..
i have a 2010 honda jazz with 1.2 litre 90 hp engine here in india.
i wanted to have an axleback exhaust system for my fit which does not decrease low end torque ( already so low ) and which is silent too..
so i hope replacing the stock exhaust with a straight pipe will do it.

all other performance exhaust are too loud for my taste , and requires alterations in bumper in order to get in it place.

any freaks experienced any loss of hp/ low end torque or unusual behavior of your fit after axleback straight pipe ?

PS: no air intake or any kind of modifications have been done to my car.
TIA

Old 12-07-2013, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by singhonwheels
hi freaks.. i was looking a couple of threads on exhaust systems and came across this thread ..
i have a 2010 honda jazz with 1.2 litre 90 hp engine here in india.
i wanted to have an axleback exhaust system for my fit which does not decrease low end torque ( already so low ) and which is silent too..
so i hope replacing the stock exhaust with a straight pipe will do it.

all other performance exhaust are too loud for my taste , and requires alterations in bumper in order to get in it place.

any freaks experienced any loss of hp/ low end torque or unusual behavior of your fit after axleback straight pipe ?

PS: no air intake or any kind of modifications have been done to my car.
TIA
Short answer: No

Long answer: No.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by FIT4thetouge
Short answer: No

Long answer: No.
ok so u mean i dont loose any power..
and i dont get loud..
how big pipe should i use ? the same size as stock ?
Christmas going to be fun .

Last edited by singhonwheels; 12-07-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by singhonwheels
ok so u mean i dont loose any power..
and i dont get loud..
how big pipe should i use ? the same size as stock ?
Christmas going to be fun .
I would keep the pipe the same as stock, and if you can, put a resonated tip on it to keep any unwanted raspiness out.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
I recently deleted the muffler and replaced it with a 2" pipe. After considering all the various options, I would say this is THE best axleback option. Good flow, sounds great, super cheap, lightest weight. To keep the weight down, I used a single short hanger and no tip. If I were to make this again, I would improve it by piping directly from the flange and using mandrel bends.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:09 PM
i was wondering if you did a resonator delete as well?

Old 01-15-2017, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
no, just axleback