2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport model w/ low bumpers that scrape?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT

Is is that most Fit owners come from larger sedan/SUV backgrounds?
My daughter inherited the '99 Cherokee, and allows (tho' she is usually pretty ladylike) that she loves Jeeps 'cause you can run over shit'.
I've got the same problem making the transition, tho' I've done okay with my bride's VW.
I'm keeping my Rubicon, and saving it for woods running. Just have to remember not to take turns in the Jeep like it's the Honda, nor run over things in the Honda like it was the Jeep.
Moon

Old 11-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I got an average driveway, and once when I swung into the driveway pan too fast I guess I accidentally scrapped the bottom, I bought a tube of touch up paint for $7 and now i learned to back into any inclined parking spot

Old 11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
I've been crawling over a lot of humps, speedbumps and other obstacles. So far, so good.
Moon

Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
I have no trouble going over any obstacles (bumps, dips, etc...). The GE8 is a 4x4 when at stock height.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
It doesn't seem to scrape when going over parking curbs, but when pulling out I've heard an awful scraping and felt a pulling a few times. Now I'm used to the clearance, so I always stop short of the curb or whatever. There are a *few* parking lots in my city where you have to be careful exiting, just drive real slow and it's ok, or take it at an angle.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM
base modle 2008 honda fit with added sport skirts

my bumper on the right fronts scrapes and drags all the time. It has been fixed over and over and it keeps happening. It has actually broken the rubber bumper hole where the screw goes in so there is nothing to hold it on. I think it is odd that the thing is only held on by one screw. One person on here said that rivets were used to fix his torn aloose skirt and one said he had his replaced. I love my fit and it looks cool sitting so low to the ground BUT!!!! this is getting old. I bought a revit gun to fix the skirt myself. I have also decided to weld on a metal washer with some J B Weld to hold the bumper skirt on. There has got to be more people than just me with this problem and on here I see there is. I will work on it this weekend and let you know how it turns out. Also I am a girl so this is trying on my nerves to say the least.
: {

Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM
"Your stories are all much better than mine. I love my new Sport Fit except for its low clearance. It pretty much scrapes on anything not taken at a deliberate angle--my driveway, any incline, etc."

I agree, It took me two days to get scrapes and scratches under the front of my 2013 Sport. It does contact more than the rubber. I have to try remembering to go into drives with a dip at an angle. I have touched up the bottom with touchup paint. It's plastic so it doesn't create a rust problem

There is lots of overhang on front wheels of the Fit Sport. It's worse than the Mazda Protégé 5 I turned in for the Fit.

You also have to be careful when parking perpendicular to a curb or side walk. Some are high enough to damage the bumper. Try to leave some space.

My 08 Mazda 3i Touring value edition doesn't have that problem.

Clifton

Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 07 Fit Sport and my front valence must have 20 deep scrapes underneath it. I bought touch up paint and fixed it so it looks ok now. You'd have to crawl under the car to notice anything! My parents driveway (where I do all my maintenance and cleaning) has a depression in the sidewalk and the road is particularly curved leading up to it ( for water drainage). It's bloody murder trying to get up there with out scraping. I had my dad stand over and look and when going in or out at an angle I barely have an inch of clearance so I have to go dead slow so I don't scrape.

However, I haven't had too many problems during winter driving in Canada. I don't get stuck and haven't damaged my valence on any ice chunks *knock on wood*

Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
I have seen and test-drove one base model (the only model dealer has on the lot). That car has no trouble going over speed bumps. There's a very high speed bump near my house that often scraped my Camry in the past. I wonder if any of you who bought the 09 Sport model having any issues of scraping against the bumps or curb side? The Sport model is supposed to have lower skirts around the car than the base model. If I am wrong please correct me. Thanks!
Mine scraped all the time. Got some spray touch up paint, and that kept me busy! Any driveway entrance would hit the front lip unless I went in slower than a snail.