2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low ride for Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Low ride for Sport

I'm waiting for my Sport to be delivered in November. So while I wait I've been reading the manual. On page 214 there is a statement for the Sport model - "Use caution if you ever drive your vehicle on very rough or rutted roads. You could damage the suspension and underbody by bottoming out. Going too fast over parking lot 'speed bumps' can also cause damage." It goes on to say that curbs and steep inclines could damage the front and rear bumpers.

So, the question is for those with the 09 Sport, does this vehicle have a real clearance problem? It seems that the manual singles out the Sport model. Are you having to use extra care in what would be ordinary driving situations for other similar subcompacts? Is the clearance much different from the base model? Are you experiencing scraps over some inclines? Do you need to take lots of extra care? - slowing down in parking lots, etc.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
I have yet to scrape mine on anything, even with four people in the car... Im not saying i wont, just that i havent. By comparison, my civic, which is only dropped 1.5 inches, scrapes with just me...

Old 09-19-2008, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
This whole scrape/low to the ground thing is just hype. It's beguiling to me because it's actually the highest riding/highest clearance car I've owned.

If you're used to SUVs and soft sedans then the Fit Sport with its body trim may seem low to you and if you run through speed bumps and ramps fast you may scrape the front splitter. If you're used to sports cars, you'll have no problem.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 AM
common sense

Originally Posted by SalemFIT
while I wait I've been reading the manual. On page 214 there is a statement for the Sport model - "Use caution if you ever drive your vehicle on very rough or rutted roads. You could damage the suspension and underbody by bottoming out. Going too fast over parking lot 'speed bumps' can also cause damage." It goes on to say that curbs and steep inclines could damage the front and rear bumpers.
Honda is covering their ass! You're using your spare time well though. Use common sense! If you run over high stuff then your front lip will get damaged. Whew hew I guess me and stephen hawking are going to be have deep meaningful conversations any minute.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:07 PM
they focus on the sport because it has the lip kit which reduces ground clearance.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SalemFIT
I'm waiting for my Sport to be delivered in November. So while I wait I've been reading the manual. On page 214 there is a statement for the Sport model - "Use caution if you ever drive your vehicle on very rough or rutted roads. You could damage the suspension and underbody by bottoming out. Going too fast over parking lot 'speed bumps' can also cause damage." It goes on to say that curbs and steep inclines could damage the front and rear bumpers.

So, the question is for those with the 09 Sport, does this vehicle have a real clearance problem? It seems that the manual singles out the Sport model. Are you having to use extra care in what would be ordinary driving situations for other similar subcompacts? Is the clearance much different from the base model? Are you experiencing scraps over some inclines? Do you need to take lots of extra care? - slowing down in parking lots, etc.
I wouldn't sweat it. Like others have said, the Fit Sport actually rides really high for a sedan. My BMW's clearance is only about 5 inches, that one I can't drive into certain developments because of speed bumps.

If you want to be safe, take speed bumps at an angle.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:26 PM
I had the same question. I took my 2009 Sport up a forest service road in my 1st week to find out. No problem. And it handles the speed bumps at the kids school too. Only complaint is that it is so stiff that the rear bounces a lot on the speed bumps - but that is a trade-off.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
I got my Sport yesterday, I live on a gravel road full of ruts and pot holes, I went up it just fine, never scraped once. My old Geo Prizm bottomed out a lot. So I have either gotten lucky the last Six times I gone up the driveway, or its not going to be much of a problem.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't think there's an issue with the Fit's ground clearance. I read another post recently where someone scraped the front rubber strip under the nose clip, and despite the unsettling scraping noise, the car was unscathed. If you're going off road, then there might be an issue. Otherwise, all systems go...

Old 09-20-2008, 12:09 AM
I don't think there's an issue with the Fit's ground clearance as well. Yes, Honda is washing their hands by letting you know that information as they also tell you to read the manual before operating your vehicle. In the Sport 08 manual, it even says in a section that if you plan to lower your car, you should consult with HOnda first for proper suspension parts. If you lower you car so much, you may hit a bump that can deploy your airbags. I have no clearance problems with my 08 Sport.