2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ordering an Eu spec fit in USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 04:02 AM
5 Year Member
ordering an Eu spec fit in USA

Hi,

I am moving shortly from the EU to the USA. I will be in the states for a couple of years as a diplomat.

Anyone familiar with honda dealerships in the states can tell me whether I can order an EU spec jazz in the states (which I can perfectly legally put on diplomatic plates)? This would then mean I could take the car back with me when I finish my posting.

thanks!

Jim

Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Buy one there and ship it over...that is the only way to get one over here in the States.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Oh...and when you ship it over put in the back of the car a whole rear axle assembly for me...I'll pay you for it. I would like rear disc brakes on my 2011 Fit Sport...but as I understand it, the whole rear axle assembly needs to be replaced. I can not just take off the drum brakes and install disc brakes on the rear. Off of a crashed car would work for me too...it does not have to be new.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jimsmith101
Hi,

I am moving shortly from the EU to the USA. I will be in the states for a couple of years as a diplomat.

Anyone familiar with honda dealerships in the states can tell me whether I can order an EU spec jazz in the states (which I can perfectly legally put on diplomatic plates)? This would then mean I could take the car back with me when I finish my posting.

thanks!

Jim
People here would love to be able to order EU spec Hondas, and the Jazz in particular. No it isn't possible.

As far as bringing a Jazz over here. It cannot be registered. Maybe there's a way with diplomatic plates, I don't know. But I suspect you're not interested in doing this.

Usually it's easier to buy a European car here and ship to Europe and get it registered there.

(Assume this is all about avoiding paying VAT and higher in general EU prices.)

In 1990 I moved to France with a bunch of Europeans that had been working in Miami for a few years. A lot of them bought American cars in Miami and shipped them back to France (Ford Mustangs were popular). Many never bothered to register them, they just drove them on expired Florida plates for years. Not sure what they did about insurance. It's probably not so simple now.

Edit: an equal number bought used Volvos, VWs and BMWs (I think the deal was they had to be a couple years old to avoid import taxes), shipped them over, changed some of the lights (rear fog lights mandatory there) and registered them with only medium hassle. But again this was in France in 1991/2...

Some of them also got back dated purchase receipts from the dealers (US state car titles are meaningless over there). I think the requirement in France was you had to own it for at least a year before bringing it over. Of course I don't condone falsifying documentation for tax avoidance. That would be wrong.

Last edited by Steve244; 08-23-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hi,

well yes I would be happy to put an EU spec car on diplomatic plates. It's not so much about avoiding VAT - i can already do that - but about being able to bring the car back to the EU afterwards rather than being forced to sell it once my time in the US is up.

i guess I could somehow order a jazz in the EU and ship it over, it's just a load of hassle. ordering through a us dealer would be easier. but on reflection this is a dumb question, u.s. dealers get no orders like this ....

Originally Posted by Steve244
People here would love to be able to order EU spec Hondas, and the Jazz in particular. No it isn't possible.

As far as bringing a Jazz over here. It cannot be registered. Maybe there's a way with diplomatic plates, I don't know. But I suspect you're not interested in doing this.

Usually it's easier to buy a European car here and ship to Europe and get it registered there.

(Assume this is all about avoiding paying VAT and higher in general EU prices.)

In 1990 I moved to France with a bunch of Europeans that had been working in Miami for a few years. A lot of them bought American cars in Miami and shipped them back to France (Ford Mustangs were popular). Many never bothered to register them, they just drove them on expired Florida plates for years. Not sure what they did about insurance. It's probably not so simple now.

Edit: an equal number bought used Volvos, VWs and BMWs (I think the deal was they had to be a couple years old to avoid import taxes), shipped them over, changed some of the lights (rear fog lights mandatory there) and registered them with only medium hassle. But again this was in France in 1991/2...

Some of them also got back dated purchase receipts from the dealers (US state car titles are meaningless over there). I think the requirement in France was you had to own it for at least a year before bringing it over. Of course I don't condone falsifying documentation for tax avoidance. That would be wrong.