2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for long trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Question Preparing for long trip

Hello everyone,
I've got a 2010 Honda Fit Base Automatic with 120k. I know all the normal maintence. What I was hoping to get your input on was common failure points/issues that I might be able to stem off.

For example :

Clean EGR valve
Change Coil packs with spark plugs
Change serpentine belts (what about the tensioner)
New break pads / break fluid

Thanks for you any thoughts you can provide

Last edited by Jutboy; 08-11-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
I have only once in my life cleaned an EGR valve. It was on a Ford ranger with 220 K miles. The rest of your listed items are normal maintenance. If the belts or tensioner are worn, replace them whether you are going on a trip or not. If not, leave them alone. The same goes for brake pads. Inspect them. If they are worn down to the wear indicators or squeakers, replace them if not leave them alone.

I would not do anything different for a long trip that I do driving every day. I do check all fluids and air pressure before leaving and after that I just drive to wherever I am going.

I took a 1400 mile round trip last week into Ontario. Next week I'm headed to Nevada and Colorado. On both trips I just load up the car, check the fluids, and go. If the trip is over 2k miles, I will see if normal maintenance is expected to be needed while I'm gone. If it is, I'll probably do it before I go. If you have done all of the normal maintenance stuff already, you should not have any problems.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:12 PM
I take a LOT of long trips and the only extra maintenance I do is to check the tire pressure and make sure my oil is good to go. There are very few parts on modern cars that are normal maintenance items that fail suddenly and catastrophically (belts, basically). If the car is in good shape and up to date on scheduled maintenance, it should be A-OK!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:59 PM
My suggestions:

Check tires--if you're about at the wear bars, get new ones before leaving as you'll likely have a more comfortable ride, as well as a safer one
Check tire pressure (including the spare)
Vacuum and clean the interior including cleaning the inside of the windows
Catch up on any outstanding maintenance (burnt out bulbs, etc.)
Collect maps and/or road atlas (if you have AAA, their four regional series maps are a really nice scale for long trips)
Pack car
Hit the road

Basically, there's not much special to do for a big trip. A big trip is really just a bunch of shorter trips strung together; if you'd be willing to take a few shorter trips with your car, you should have no trouble with a big trip.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:43 PM
I check my tire and make sure my oil and filters are good. I have taken some big trips;

SoCal to St.Louis

St. Louis toEl Paso 2x

El Paso toSoCal 4x

El Paso toVancouver

Vancouver toFlorida

Florida toDC

Florida toEl Paso 4x

no issues, still on factory brakes.