2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a used Fit w/ an airbag recall?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Should I buy a used Fit w/ an airbag recall?

Hey all,

Quick, maybe dumb question:

I've been looking to buy a used Fit for a while now - found a great car from a private seller (09 Sport, 95k miles), well within my budget, I drove it tonight, everything is great (no accidents, single owner, all that), except for one thing: it's one of the vehicles w/ the Takata recall. I live in Brooklyn, NY, so I know I'm technically in a "low risk" area, but my girlfriend and I are a little nervous regardless. I haven't yet contacted my nearest dealers to check parts availability or repair schedule, but I just wanted to try to get a pulse on whether or not I should go ahead and make an offer.

As I live in Brooklyn, car ownership for me is not an urgent thing, so I wouldn't necessarily be put out if the car had to be in the shop for a while waiting repair.

Feel free to tell me I'm a moron for even considering it, but I'm pretty excited about everything else about the car. Would this stop anybody else dead in their tracks, or is this something that I should pursue?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-21-2016, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Our used Fit was bought for our teenage driver and I didn't worry with it, figuring the odds of trouble were miniscule (if there's a collision and if the airbag needed to deploy and if the airbag failed ...). I phoned Honda within a week after buying the car and the airbag was replaced after 2,000 Miles of driving and a three month wait.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
If I were you, I'd be more worried about buying a car (assumption) that has been driven in a city environment for 95,000 miles. City miles take quite a toll on a car's engine/transmission/suspension, not to mention living in a snow/salt winter environment. Unless you are a reckless driver, I certainly would not worry about whether the airbags in your dash are flying shards of metal waiting to jettison upon impact. Get the car if the numbers work for you and enjoy.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:03 PM
I bought a 09 fit with 53k miles a couple of weeks ago. The gentleman I bought the car from disclosed that there was a recall and that the parts were on order at the local dealer. I live in a higher risk area since TX is humid. I did not have a problem, nor do I see a problem. The dealer is obligated to fix it.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Oh, and I just dropped off the car to get the airbag fixed 2 days ago. They got the parts in stock.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Buy the car if you like it.
Get the recall done ASAP, then drive worry-free.

At my dealer they take the VIN over the phone and place the orders daily, then you get a phone call when the part arrives and set up an appointment to get it installed.

Check your cars' recall status here: recalls.honda.com

Old 10-23-2016, 07:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i wouldnt care. just get da airbag recall done. it's a hassle but free.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
If the airbag issue bothers you, call the local Honda dealer. Explain your situation i.e. thinking about buying a Fit without the recall having been done on it. Prepare to have the car's VIN# handy and ask them what the time frame is, in their experience, in getting the repair kit in for your year Fit. If they won't answer you directly, go by the parts dept. and inquire with them about the availability. The parts dept. is actually the one that orders it. I just went through this same scenario in buying my 2013 Fit sport a couple months ago. I got the repair done within a week of inquiring.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
Hey all, thanks so much for the replies! I ended up buying the car - too good of a deal to pass up, and is in amazing shape for the mileage (the previous owner took impeccable care of the car). I called my local dealer and got the repair scheduled for next week.

Thanks again!

Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Cool beans! I hope you enjoy it as much as we have our used '13.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:50 AM
Thumbs up

Congrats on your new Fit, lcbass. I think you will really enjoy it.

FYI when I signed up for the recall, the dealer gave me two loaners, first a Civic then an Accord Sport, until the parts were in. I had to sign a waiver saying I would only drive the Fit to/from the dealer and only for the purpose of getting the airbag fixed, but I was happy to drive the loaner.

So anyway, I ended up with a really nice Accord to take on a road trip or two. And keep the miles off my Fit.

So you might see about getting a loaner until the parts are in for your Fit's recall.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
I would definitely....

....100% get the recall done, ASAP after becoming the owner.

But I wouldn't let the fact that it needs the recall stop me from buying the vehicle.

I'd look at it this way....A LOT of vehicles unfortunately were involved in this recall...it's a safety issue. But at least in this case, it's identified, you know about it, and there is a fix.

As long as the recall is handled in a expedient manner after purchase, you are basically buying a vehicle you like...and having a KNOWN issue dealt with.

I don't see a problem here.