2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
dealer service

Hey guys,

So i am bringing in my car in for service this weekend (20k on the clock). the dealer recommends the 15k service.

I am planning to do:

oil change
tranny oil change
rotate tires
air cabin filter
air filter changed

another thing the dealer recommends is to do the throttle sensor cleaning..what is that? is it necessary? Thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
all that for $300..... "/

are you done with class yet? seemed short. i left the ARC at like 8:10

Old 07-20-2010, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
I'd personally avoid dealer service at all costs, the quality is no better than anywhere else and the price is usually more. You could do all of that stuff listed there yourself in less than 2 hours including clean up.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
Vinn: actually its $260. I am supplying my own synthetic oil. I was in class when posting..class ends at 9:50. why were YOU at the arc at UCI?

cgpEJ6: yeah, i totally agree that dealer are usually priced more. But with my hectic schedule of driving and studying all the time for my master's, I don't have time to do it myself or drive out and find a good mechanic. i leave it at dealer and i go study at the waiting room while it gets done.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitcious
i totally agree that dealer are usually priced more. But with my hectic schedule of driving and studying all the time for my master's, I don't have time to do it myself or drive out and find a good mechanic. i leave it at dealer and i go study at the waiting room while it gets done.
I get that, I just really hate going to the dealer. My local dealer (Brilliance Honda in Crystal Lake, IL) has a particularly bad service department. I have an '08 Si at home and they put the wrong oil in it 4 times in a row.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Honda is not suggesting you follow the MM system on service items?

There is no 15K service.

If there are no codes - check engine light is not on, correct - there is no need to 'clean the throttle sensor'. They are referring to the MAF. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

20K on the trany fluid sounds way to early.

I think they are padding the service. You can see what the MM says. That's what you need to do.

Re-read your owner's manual. It's all there.

The dealer rep is based upon the fact that most owners go in with absolutely no idea why, then they get ripped. Your basic list makes sense, minus the tranny fluid, and unless your check engine light is on or you are experiencing related problems, which it seems you aren't - it was their suggestion, no need to touch the MAF.

You're asking the right questions in the right place - others will chime in.

K_C_

Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Honda is not suggesting you follow the MM system on service items?

There is no 15K service.

If there are no codes - check engine light is not on, correct - there is no need to 'clean the throttle sensor'. They are referring to the MAF. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

20K on the trany fluid sounds way to early.

I think they are padding the service. You can see what the MM says. That's what you need to do.

Re-read your owner's manual. It's all there.

The dealer rep is based upon the fact that most owners go in with absolutely no idea why, then they get ripped. Your basic list makes sense, minus the tranny fluid, and unless your check engine light is on or you are experiencing related problems, which it seems you aren't - it was their suggestion, no need to touch the MAF.

You're asking the right questions in the right place - others will chime in.

K_C_
Thanks for the advice. Firstly, I dont want this thread to become another "should we follow the MM" debate. that being said, I am very traditional..i change engine oil anywhere between 3k-5k...and tranny oil every 10k.

I will probably hold back on the MAF sensor thing as my car runs find, idles find, consumes normal amount of gas and no check engine light (not sure if MAF relates to those things mentioned though haha)

and btw, i was thinking of either going penzoil or castrol synthetic. any suggestion on which one?

to CB: why would you let them do the wrong oil 4 times? i wouldnt have gone there after the 2nd time. and how did you know it was the wrong oil?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Hey guys,

So i am bringing in my car in for service this weekend (20k on the clock). the dealer recommends the 15k service.

I am planning to do:

oil change
tranny oil change
rotate tires
air cabin filter
air filter changed

another thing the dealer recommends is to do the throttle sensor cleaning..what is that? is it necessary? Thanks
on my 20K GD, only thing i did about 3k miles ago was oil change and air filter change and checked the other fluids and rotated the tires. dealers will recommend anything to try to get at your money.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah, at 20k, there's shouldn't be any reason to do anything other than an oil change, rotate tires, and change various filters. Unless there's a reason to think the throttle position sensor is acting up, there's no reason to clean it.

But yeah, just follow the MM's instructions, unless you fit the extra conditions in the owner's manual. For example, if you tow the Fit behind a motor home, you should change the transmission fluid every 30k.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the advice. Firstly, I dont want this thread to become another "should we follow the MM" debate. that being said, I am very traditional..i change engine oil anywhere between 3k-5k...and tranny oil every 10k.
So follow the Owner's Manual? When the heck was transmission fluid ever a 10k recommendation? That's not traditional, that's just wasteful.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
I've always done tranny oil change at 10k....haha as much as people say i dont need to, i rather have that peace of mind. call me paranoid or whatever, but I just stick to my schedule.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM

I will probably hold back on the MAF sensor thing as my car runs find, idles find, consumes normal amount of gas and no check engine light (not sure if MAF relates to those things mentioned though haha)

and btw, i was thinking of either going penzoil or castrol synthetic. any suggestion on which one?

to CB: why would you let them do the wrong oil 4 times? i wouldnt have gone there after the 2nd time. and how did you know it was the wrong oil?
The choice is certainly yours - I'm not waving any flags [except red ones] here. There is no benefit, however, in changing the tranny fluid. And you know about oil changes.

As far as which oil you choose - either is good, synthetic is the way to go. I trust the well named brands. I'm guessing you bring the oil to them, collect the empty containers if you doubt they will install it - I would trust them on that, however.

Here's a quicky on the MAF: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf

A well informed approach and trust is the best way to avoid controversy and build a positive relation.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
why would you let them do the wrong oil 4 times? i wouldnt have gone there after the 2nd time. and how did you know it was the wrong oil?
I didn't let it happen, I went back immediately every single time and did let them know and made a fuss about it. I had to argue with the service manager every single time. The Si takes 5W-30, the SOHC models take 5W-20. When I got the paperwork after it was done it always said 5W-20 and they gave me every story in the book as to why. Sometimes they would tell me it does take 5W-20 and sometimes they would say they put the right oil in and just the paperwork was wrong. Bottom line, they just didn't know what they were doing and were careless.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
Tranny fluid every 10K?!?!?! That is beyond wasteful. Even under heavy use recommendations 40-50k is more than safe, and regular use 50-60k or every 2-3years. At your rate, why not just change it with your oil?

Bet you use premium gas too thinking you get more power!

Everyone is free to spend their money as they wish...and we are free to also question/criticize it.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
You should bring your GE8 to RACELINE instead of the stealership Andy. Don't waste your time and money going to the dealer.