2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Interior Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Rear Hatch Interior Panel Removal

So I got one of those "light up" thingies that go behind the badge and are connected to the license plate lights. No prob installing it on the car. I then, thanking my dear deceased father's gifting me with the interior panel removal kit, began popping the rear interior panel off. Got the bottom and up the sides taken off after some reefing. Then instead of a pop, I heard something sort of like plastic breaking. Got out a flashlight and lo and behold, there is a different connector in about the area as where the curve on the tailgate for the license plate. This thing looks like a washer and appears that it needs to slide down to get it out. I also note that, oops, part of the plastic connector there was partially broke. Also, within an inch of this fastener, there is a plastic clip like the ones I was trying to remove. So here is the quandry. How can I pop all the clips when I have this other thing so close that isn't a clip. I didn't think of looking behind the license plate for screws.

Has anyone here taken the trim off the back hatch (in the Gen II - I found instructions here for the Gen I)? I just don't want to break the panel cause I am sure that a replacement is not worth making the back badge glow at night.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Mine pulled off with much effort. Different connectors and some do slide into place on the panel itself. Putting it back on involves punching.

A glow badge is surely worth the effort - post up pics when you get er done.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...wiper-mod.html

this might help...or maybe this is where you found the info on the 1st gen. i know when i took mine off, i just ripped'er off. i only did so because i used to take the door panels off my 93 civic, and you had to just reef on them so yea....give'er a rip. i wouldn't worry to much about a broken clip. there are more than enough on it to keep it on. best of luck.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Talkd to 2 buddies in the car repair business. They said the pins I saw were older type clips. They advised just to keep reefing on it till it comes off. They said tho to order new clips from the dealer because they are usually a one time use. I am going to try tomorrow to reef off the panel and will see how it goes.