2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to route trailer wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 PM
How to route trailer wiring harness?

I bought a hidden hitch from etrailer.com, and a plugin wiring harness for the trailer lights. The instructions on how best to route the wires from the rear of the car's taillight assemblys to outside the rear of the car are vague.

For those who have actually run trailer wiring from their Fit: How did you run them? Did it involve drilling holes or making notches in the car's interior trim?

I could leave the 2 interior rear light access covers off and just have the harness loose inside the back of the car, but that doesn't make for a very neat professional installation! What am I missing?

Thanks,
Paul
2012 Base AT Fit.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
I used the plug in trailer wiring harness from etrailer also. My wires are routed just like they recommend, behind the trim pieces with the plug stored in the spare tire well. When I hook up a trailer I just pull the plug out of the spare tire well and close the hatch with just the plug and a couple inches of wire hanging out on top of the bumper. There's no need to do any drilling to have the plug permanently outside the car.

-Dustin

Old 07-31-2014, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
I used the plug in trailer wiring harness from etrailer also. My wires are routed just like they recommend, behind the trim pieces with the plug stored in the spare tire well. When I hook up a trailer I just pull the plug out of the spare tire well and close the hatch with just the plug and a couple inches of wire hanging out on top of the bumper. There's no need to do any drilling to have the plug permanently outside the car.

-Dustin
Dustin, does that mean you pulled the plastic piece that goes across the floor to route wires under, so when the plug is in your spare tire well no wiring is visible? I was hesitant to try to pull it loose as I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to put back. (I work one handed due to stroke...if that's how to do it I will have to get someone to do it for me.)

Old 07-31-2014, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prhkgh
Dustin, does that mean you pulled the plastic piece that goes across the floor to route wires under, so when the plug is in your spare tire well no wiring is visible? I was hesitant to try to pull it loose as I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to put back. (I work one handed due to stroke...if that's how to do it I will have to get someone to do it for me.)
Yes, that's right. The plastic piece is just held in by 4 plastic push clips, so just give it a good yank and it will pop loose. I was able to access everything by taking that piece and the 2 small plastic access pieces out from the behind the tail lights. If I remember correctly there is only room for one hand to work through the access holes behind the tail lights anyway. I think I mounted the little control/fuse box that comes with the kit to the inside of the car body behind the plastic trim panel underneath the left side tail light.

-Dustin

Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Correction, I just went out and popped off the cover behind the left tail light and realized that I also had to pop loose the trim panel on that side to route the wiring and mount the little control box. It's just held on with plastic push clips also though. It's been over a year since I installed it, so I couldn't remember. I believe theres a video on etrailer's site that walks you through most of it.

-Dustin

Old 08-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Done!

Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Correction, I just went out and popped off the cover behind the left tail light and realized that I also had to pop loose the trim panel on that side to route the wiring and mount the little control box. It's just held on with plastic push clips also though. It's been over a year since I installed it, so I couldn't remember. I believe theres a video on etrailer's site that walks you through most of it.

-Dustin
Thanks again Dustin. My son came by today, and the wiring is done. I hadn't seen your last reply, but once the bottom center piece was pulled off it was easy to see to pull the sides.

I just am still not used to a car whose various pieces all seem to be "just pull it" to disassemble. Alls well that ends well, my trailer wiring (in the car) is done!

Old 08-02-2014, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Good deal. I'm glad you were able to get it in. It's great that all the interior panels are so easy to take off. I spent this morning installing FatMat sound insulation in the 2 front doors and spare tire well and popping off the door panels was the easiest part of the whole process.

-Dustin