3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Android

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Android

Anyone know what's happening with the promised compatibility with Android

Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Bababooey

I am getting new Apple phone in November when my contract is up...no more Android

Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Dealership told me two months. But they say anything ya know?

Old 08-16-2014, 01:09 AM
Why deliver something when people will buy cars on the basis of "real soon now!"

Old 08-16-2014, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure what you mean by compatibility, but my Galaxy S4 works fine. I copied all my contacts, and it has a list of past calls. The salesman set it up when I got the car.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Why deliver something when people will buy cars on the basis of "real soon now!"
Good point.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Compatibility means being able to use an Android phone the same way as an IPhone. Most of the HondaLink features and apps for the IPhone are not available for the Android.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I'm not sure what you mean by compatibility, but my Galaxy S4 works fine. I copied all my contacts, and it has a list of past calls. The salesman set it up when I got the car.
I have the past calls but it doesn't have names or anything, just numbers. There's a way to get the names and such from my phone?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mike Houser
I am getting new Apple phone in November when my contract is up...no more Android
Unfortunately I second this...

Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Joe Hendrickson
I have the past calls but it doesn't have names or anything, just numbers. There's a way to get the names and such from my phone?
You have to tell the phone to share the information in bluetooth settings.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Has anyone figured out a way to mirror an android screen to the built in display? Maybe via hdmi or usb?

Who needs hondalink and navi when you already have it on your phone and can mirror to the display and bluetooth audio the directions.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:24 AM
I thought the Android compatibility was scheduled for next year, probably in 2016 models.

Besides it's not likely they will make any changes a few months into the model year.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by Mike Houser
I am going the complete opposite, I am not going buy car unless it has Android Compatibility or Android Auto. I am still hoping for the latter. What about 60% of USA users are Android and 80% of the world is?

I keep telling all my friends who are in the market for a new car to wait until they offer Android Auto or Apple Carplay, dependent on their choice of smartphone. You don't want to buy a car only to be completely outdated in a year.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Has anyone figured out a way to mirror an android screen to the built in display? Maybe via hdmi or usb?

Who needs hondalink and navi when you already have it on your phone and can mirror to the display and bluetooth audio the directions.
When in anything but park, the screen will no longer mirror the phone. Or at least I think that's how it works. Personally haven't tested it.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by elementrace
I thought the Android compatibility was scheduled for next year, probably in 2016 models.

Besides it's not likely they will make any changes a few months into the model year.
I'm seeing a lot of confusion between three different kinds of "compatibility" which are being discussed interchangeably. You're talking about the 3rd sort which I'll list:

1) Bluetooth-based compatibility, with hands-free calling via the car, media streaming, text messaging and e-mail reading, etc. -- this is decent compatibility, and the existing 2015 Fit and existing Android phones already do have this level of compatibility.

2) The HondaLink based compatibility which involves Bluetooth AND an HDMI connection, which would provide some additional features such as using your phone as a navigation system through the 7" touchscreen and a few other better integrated streaming features. This is what was absolutely promised for the current model and which still shows as being "in the works" by Honda. The car is ready for this -- software has to be developed for the phones, though much of the existing handsets should be ready for it. No date has been specified.

3) Android Auto, which is like #2 with way more features, and the phone itself is providing most of the capability while the car merely acts as a conduit. The car has to be designed to support it, and from reports, the 2015 probably isn't going to ever do this. Honda has never actually promised this for the 2015 Fit specifically, and statements that have been interpreted as such were sufficiently unclear as to leave it to where it could be interpreted either way. But the realities of the car itself make this seem unlikely.

So you're definitely referring to #3, but whether it will have "Android compatibility" depends on what you mean by that. It already has #1 which is a pretty good bit of compatibility, and it is supposed to be getting #2, which is even better. I'm pretty happy with how #1 works but will be looking forward to #2 as I'd really like to be using that screen as a navigation system.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Superscottia
When in anything but park, the screen will no longer mirror the phone. Or at least I think that's how it works. Personally haven't tested it.
That's exactly how it works. I've spent some time trying to get around this (though I am highly unqualified to do that). For anyone who hasn't tried this who wants to know what you need, how to get it working, and the limitations, here's my experience with it.

To have it mirror at all, all you need is to see if your phone has some sort of HDMI compatibility (Google for it), and if so, whether it uses MHL or SlimPort. If your phone doesn't support something like this (and some don't), you're just out of luck. Buy whichever adapter you need (MHL or SlimPort) and carefully follow directions for connecting it -- including power via USB if the adapter needs it.

Then while the car is in park but the system is turned on, you set the "audio" to "HDMI" and get something up on your phone's screen. It should mirror automatically at this point.

That's useful only if you're trying to watch a movie on the 7" screen while parked, but the second you shift out of park, the screen instantly goes black. No possibility then of using it for navigation or anything else. And navigation is all I wanted to use mine for.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by chrisjones

3) Android Auto, which is like #2 with way more features, and the phone itself is providing most of the capability while the car merely acts as a conduit. The car has to be designed to support it, and from reports, the 2015 probably isn't going to ever do this. Honda has never actually promised this for the 2015 Fit specifically, and statements that have been interpreted as such were sufficiently unclear as to leave it to where it could be interpreted either way. But the realities of the car itself make this seem unlikely.
I am really hoping you are wrong on this. Still holding off on buying a Fit until it has Android Auto. In my trolling for any news on this, I stumbled across this from the Google I/O (check out 5:55 and 7:07):

While it is a prototype and the wrong version of the car, you can clearly see Honda's unbelievably crappy HondaLink that is running Android Auto. Again no proof but it still gives me hope.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
You have to tell the phone to share the information in bluetooth settings.
What the heck. I just tried to go through the process all over again and can't get my phonebook and names to show up. I've got a Galaxy S4. I enabled the popups. Got the past calls and bluetooth works but can't get the names or phonebook. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 08-20-2014, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Joe Hendrickson
What the heck. I just tried to go through the process all over again and can't get my phonebook and names to show up. I've got a Galaxy S4. I enabled the popups. Got the past calls and bluetooth works but can't get the names or phonebook. Am I doing something wrong?
The salesman did it for me - no problem. I'm sure if you go back to your dealer, he will do it again.

It's nice having all the electronics, but it was also nice have On/Off, Volume, and six pushbuttons in the old days.a couple of radio questions I'll be posting if I don't get it figured out.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
The salesman did it for me - no problem. I'm sure if you go back to your dealer, he will do it again.

It's nice having all the electronics, but it was also nice have On/Off, Volume, and six pushbuttons in the old days.a couple of radio questions I'll be posting if I don't get it figured out.
Thanks! I'll have to stop by there. I don't mind the touchscreen everything except for the volume. I don't hate it but it's somewhat inconvenient sometimes.