3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Advice needed to fix this damange (insurance vs own)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
Advice needed to fix this damange (insurance vs own)

Spouse drove car over ramp in front of shopping mall (stomped on accelerator thinking it is a break). Luckily no one was walking during that time and able to stop the car few inches from breaking into glass front.

There is damage to right side fender and bumper. There is a sign board placed in front of parking spot. Looks like that sign board stuck against door and dragged along the car. Right side front door rubs little bit with fender with changes to alighnemnt. Took it to couple of shops. They suggested fender replacement and painting bumper damage. They quoted me around $1k.

Not sure if we can claim this under comprehensive cover ($500 deductible). We did not report it to cops. Is it worth reporting it to insurance. Not sure if we can just fix the fender and just live with it.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by ritholtz
Spouse drove car over ramp in front of shopping mall (stomped on accelerator thinking it is a break). Luckily no one was walking during that time and able to stop the car few inches from breaking into glass front.

There is damage to right side fender and bumper. There is a sign board placed in front of parking spot. Looks like that sign board stuck against door and dragged along the car. Right side front door rubs little bit with fender with changes to alighnemnt. Took it to couple of shops. They suggested fender replacement and painting bumper damage. They quoted me around $1k.

Not sure if we can claim this under comprehensive cover ($500 deductible). We did not report it to cops. Is it worth reporting it to insurance. Not sure if we can just fix the fender and just live with it.
Not comprehensive, but collision.

That will be "at fault", so see how much you'd get after deductible. Claim would get you rental car coverage if that is on your policy.

Some insurers do not penalize for the first "at fault" claim.

So work the numbers and then decide.

Good luck.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bob Levine
Not comprehensive, but collision.

That will be "at fault", so see how much you'd get after deductible. Claim would get you rental car coverage if that is on your policy.

Some insurers do not penalize for the first "at fault" claim.

So work the numbers and then decide.

Good luck.
Thanks for the information. We have $500 deductible. I already did one accident last year. our premiums are bumped up a lot. Not sure if it worth it to go with insurance again. I am trying to find out simple fixes and live with it. I got estimates between $800 to $1100. Is it possible to adjust fender little bit to not to touch with the door and apply some touch up paint instead of replacing whole fender.

Name:  1121161616.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  224.0 KB

Old 11-22-2016, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
deleted picture.

Last edited by ritholtz; 12-05-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
deleted picture.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
deleted picture.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Adjusted little bit at the edge of fender where it is interfering with door. Interference is almost gone. I think I will live with it. Any suggestions to apply some touch up paint on fender and bumper scratches. Are we going to have any leaks around the door during rain.
Thanks

Old 11-22-2016, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Honda has a touch up paint pen specifically for the Fit and your colour, for about $13. One side is colour, the other side is clear coat. The paint comes out a but thick and goopey, but you can spread it around. It is vastly inferior to the OEM job, but ok from 10' away.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...paint-pen.html

It would be cheaper to just pay it and not involve insurance. Your premiums would rise for a number of years. In Ontario, Canada that would be 6 years of increased premiums.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Honda has a touch up paint pen specifically for the Fit and your colour, for about $13. One side is colour, the other side is clear coat. The paint comes out a but thick and goopey, but you can spread it around. It is vastly inferior to the OEM job, but ok from 10' away.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...paint-pen.html

It would be cheaper to just pay it and not involve insurance. Your premiums would rise for a number of years. In Ontario, Canada that would be 6 years of increased premiums.
Thanks. I will grab one form honda shop during my next service visit.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Are you paying for the sign and any other tertiary damage? or did you claim that? Cause once the claim is logged, your getting the claim so fix the car right.

Especially if your both over 25..

Good luck.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Are you paying for the sign and any other tertiary damage? or did you claim that? Cause once the claim is logged, your getting the claim so fix the car right.

Especially if your both over 25..

Good luck.
Nothing happened to sign board. It is movable sign board with heavy bottom. It just got dragged along with car. There are no damage to any property other than light tire marks. Car is just few inches away from crashing in glass front of the shopping complex.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like an auto detail will get most of that up or off.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
glad to hear no-one was hurt.

if there is no issue functionally, I would just leave it alone until you can afford the 500 deductible and get it fixed completely. as posted by someone, dis is a collision claim and ur premium will go up... but by how much, u'll need to check with ur insurance. might not be much at all depending on ur driving history, etc.

GL!