3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Panel becomes dim when switching on head lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 02:47 AM
Panel becomes dim when switching on head lights

This problem started after I left my GK5 from the dealer. Could it be a parasitic draw? Feel free to chip in.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
What exactly do you mean? The instrument panel (speedo, tach, etc.) dims when headlights are switched on? If so, this is exactly the way it's supposed to work, so that at night (when one would expect to use headlights), the panel is not annoyingly bright.

But perhaps I misunderstood the issue.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Nope it was not doing that before. It also happens when I charge my phone thru the plug in lighter socket( I have an adapter). I had the car for a year and 4 months now with 14K+ miles. Could it be my battery getting weak?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Not likely a weak battery. When the engine runs the alternator supplies voltage.

More likely, the tech turned the instrument dimmer knob when he reset the Maintenance Minder. Turn it brighter, if that's how you like it.

+++++

I've never seen an accessory dim the instruments when plugged into the powewr point" (formerly the "cigarette lighter") socket. Those circuits are rated for at least 10 amps...

Old 02-23-2017, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Check your battery terminal connections aren't loose too? Although I guess that wouldn't necessarily be a problem once it's running. I did run into this with my fiancé's old Mazda pickup when she had replaced the battery......but that's apples to oranges. Could it be that it has a dimmer setting when the lights are turned on for night driving, which could be adjusted with the brightness knob? oops, I'm rambling 😬

Old 02-23-2017, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Your instrument panel should dim when you turn your headlights on. How much it dims is up to you. If you turn the stalk on the right side of your instrument panel, the one where you push it to toggle the various right side displays, the instrument panel will go brighter or darker.

If you did not have this adjustability then driving at night with a bright instrument panel would create too much of a contrast to the dark road. Your eyes might not adjust well to night driving.

The service tech probably turned down your instrument panel lighting.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Your instrument panel should dim when you turn your headlights on. How much it dims is up to you. If you turn the stalk on the right side of your instrument panel, the one where you push it to toggle the various right side displays, the instrument panel will go brighter or darker.

If you did not have this adjustability then driving at night with a bright instrument panel would create too much of a contrast to the dark road. Your eyes might not adjust well to night driving.

It could also be a case here of not RTFM?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy

Thanks TorontoBoy, this was it, this is why people go to forum.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oiric2006@gmail.com
Thanks TorontoBoy, this was it, this is why people go to forum.
No problems. You are not the first and will not be the last to ask this very question.

Before my Fit I rented compact cars for a year, and they all had this feature. Weekly I was forced to look for this light dimmer switch across all varieties of rentals. Getting a Fit it was only natural to look for the same.