Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Front License Plate Attachment

Old 07-05-2006, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
Front License Plate Attachment

My Fit came from the dealer with the front plate holder attached to the bumper by only two screws under the bumper at the far left and right of the bracket. This leaves it to vibrate against the bumper. The bracket has two unused holes to work with. One is under the bumper in the center and one is directly behind the center of the plate on the front of the bumper. The one on the front of the bumper looks like it will hold it the firmest, but then I'd have to drill a hole into the bumper to mount it.

How is yours attached?

Old 07-05-2006, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
mine got the same deal. It rubbed paint off my car the first 100 miles. The technician took a shortcut

Old 07-08-2006, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Mine has the bolt in the middle on the front into the bumper. I was gonna take it off untill I saw that.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Master FitFreaker
be glad the dealership didn't put a hole on your bumper man

Old 07-08-2006, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
I noticed that the structural steel bumper lies directly behind where that central bolt hole would be, if my bumper already had the hole. My local Honda dealership couldn't locate the part diagram for it in their system, so they couldn't tell me how to fasten it better. I am reluctant to drill through the bumper cover and the steel bumper underneath, so I finally used a dab of epoxy on the flange on the plate holder against the center of the bumper. That seems to be holding well.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:47 PM
yeah, be glad your Honda dealership didn't drill a hole into the center of your bumper like mine did. They ARE NOT suppose to do that, I'm still working with Honda customer service to get a replacement bumper, I'm making a big stink about it because now I have to use a license plate plug for that nasty hole left behind.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys for bringing this up. My car is still on order and I was wondering about the front plate being an issue.

I got lucky with my last car, since I bought it from a state that doesn't require a front plate.

So, is the best spot for the front plate going to be off center??? If so I will either ask the dealership not to put it on (whether they are allowed to this is another story) or not to put it in the center.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
be aware of this.....

my dealership was stupid and put huge screws into the plates. after washing my car manually (about 2 weeks after purchase), i noticed the top 2 screws were digging into the bumper. i had nice little black scrapes and peeling plastic. got them to replace with no problems, but it's a hassle none-the-less. just an FYI for you "soon to buy"ers.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
My car came with the plate bracket centered, with two hard-mounted nutplates under the bumper. It looks like that's the primary install position.

jdmparts, how did you mount yours?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Mine was in the bottom, two screws at the bottom, did a number to the paint, which was bad, but then I did a number to the farside corner myself!

Unfortunately, the US car has the different nose on it, I am trying to find a European plate holder for the front of my car and my contacts in Europe will be useless for this bit....maybe a universal one from eBay or mount the plate in the lower "grille"?

Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 AM
Thankfully we're not required to have a front plate in Arizona. I got the car with the front plate mount and hardware still in a plastic bag (from the factory, I suppose). No holes in the front and no dealer stickers on the back, either. This is the first thing I discuss when I buy a car...I'm not getting paid to advertise for them so I won't accept the car with dealer emblems, decals, or whatever.

bob

Old 03-01-2008, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bobthenuke
Thankfully we're not required to have a front plate in Arizona. I got the car with the front plate mount and hardware still in a plastic bag (from the factory, I suppose). No holes in the front and no dealer stickers on the back, either. This is the first thing I discuss when I buy a car...I'm not getting paid to advertise for them so I won't accept the car with dealer emblems, decals, or whatever.

bob
great point.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
I think I asked about this a while back, but I can't remember who had the great idea of how to mount the plate down low and off to one side - using the OEM bracket. He just flipped the bracket upside down and found a convenient place to bolt it up. Looked great! If I ever get pulled over for not having my front plate on, that's how I'm planning on "getting legal".

HF