Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Battery died, jumped it, replaced it - now CEL & sputtering engine ~3000RPM (2011)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Battery died, jumped it, replaced it - now CEL & sputtering engine ~3000RPM (2011)

Honda Fit 2011
<30,000 miles
No previous engine trouble whatsoever, just soliciting thoughts on what to do.

Two days (Tuesday) ago I left an overhead light on in my car. The battery jumped alright but the voltage looked really bad with a multimeter after leaving the vehicle running for a bit. Probably the 3rd or 4th time I've jumped the original battery that came with it. The car ran perfectly that day. I simply did not have time to pick up another battery, plus my local shop will actually be getting more replacements for my model in 2 days. So I figure I can probably get that far. Probably did about 25 miles with 3 engine starts in between.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I get in the car early to see if the battery will need to be jumped again or something stupid and it starts fine so I leave it until I need to go to work. This time when I turn it on I get a Traction Control light and Check Engine Light on the dash. I figure it must have something to do with the battery. As I'm driving I get some sputtering/kicking/stuttering/misfiring/whatever you want to call it. I take it around the block to make sure it's not going to stall on me (I only have to go about 10 miles). It runs OK.

Today I finally get the battery replaced since the local shop has them in. Get the new battery install it, great! Maybe the light will go away on its own? No such luck. Still CEL and Traction Control lit up, still sputtering. This time I make note of when it happens. Only during rapid acceleration, it will work fine with no issue at 2.5K RPM. A little over 3K RPM though and it starts. If I let off the gas and go back on I can push past that hump though and get to near 4K on a hill.

Obviously I'll be getting some error codes ASAP, but is there anything battery-related (controllers/computers/electronics) in the car that could be worth resetting to solve a misfiring engine which was entirely fine before having a battery die? Is it entirely coincidental that something else (plugs, coils, etc) happened within a day of my original battery being on its last legs?

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited by incorpusyehtee; 12-01-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Obtain fault codes and proceed from there.
Most likely unrelated to battery, but you can determine that after you figure out the root cause of the fault code(s).

Old 12-11-2016, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
"Still CEL and Traction Control lit up"
What year is that?
2007 don't have traction control.
possible the rocker arm pressure switch wire or connector was severed during battery change.