radiator fan seems to run excessively

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:01 PM
radiator fan seems to run excessively

I've noticed that the radiator and a.c. fans seem to run far too soon and too often in my 2007 fit sport. With the first startup in the morning the fans will usually (but not always) start to run within 2 minutes of starting the engine. They will then run for 5 or 6 seconds and then shut off. This cycle will then repeat every minute or so.

I once started the motor (cold start) and noticed the fans running within a few seconds. I know that if the a.c. is on or either defroster position is selected then the fans will operate, but this isn't the case here.

I've checked the cooling system (radiator full and overflow tank at the normal level) and it appears to be normal in all other respects (radiator top hose is cold upon first starting and then warms up within 5 minutes as presumably the thermostat starts to open and allows the coolant to circulate).The dash coolant lights behave normal with the cold indicator light going off within 2 minutes of startup. However, during this initial warmup period the cooling fans will usually have cycled on/off about 2 or more times.

Does anyone know if this condition is normal ?

Old 02-26-2011, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
If you are using your defroster it is normal. The A/C will kick in to dehumidify the air and when the A/C is on the cooling fan is on too.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm not using the defroster when this seemingly excessive cooling fan cycle starts. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed that their fans seem to run much too soon and too often under normal (no a.c. and no defroster) comfort settings.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
That is all completely normal.

The seemingly erratic intermittent behaviour is to keep electrical load low while maintaining coolant temps.

I find it annoying too sometimes. But it is fine.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
On my '07, without A/C or defrost on, the radiator fans will not run until coolant temperature reaches 210*F (Scangauge), and then cycle off at 200*F.

Last edited by spreadhead; 02-28-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by spreadhead
On my '07, without A/C or defrost on, the radiator fans will not run until coolant temperature reaches 210*F (Scangauge), and then cycle off at 200*F.
Thats how I think it should work, but Diamondstarmonsters says that mine is completly normal.
Anyone else want to chime in here ?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:56 AM
I'll speak for the 2010, however, I believe the 07 is the same.

There are two fans - radiator fan and AC condenser fan.

W/ AC off
: Radiator fan comes on @ 199F coolant temp - condenser fan is off. When coolant temp drops below 199F radiator fan turns off.

W/ AC on: Both fans are triggered by the 199F coolant temp.

You should confirm that you have a condition where fans are running w/ coolant temp below 199F.
Next determine which fan is running.
If it's one or the other, then the problem is most likely associated with its respective relay.
Pull and re-seat the relay to see if it cure the problem. If not, replace the relay.

If both fans are running prematurely:
Check for a short in the wire between the radiator fan relay 4P socket terminal No. 3 and ECM/PCM connector terminal A6.
Fan relay socket terminal 3 is the lower left terminal on the relay plug.

Hope this helps.

K_C_

Old 02-13-2015, 11:37 AM
I realize I am opening up a very old thread, but I did pick up a Fit recently
and I am noticing it has the same issues.
I tried to replace the coolant and when bleeding noticed the fan kicking in every 10 seconds and I could not get the thermostat to open.
I am not sure if the thermostat is ok, but the lower hose would just not get warm, I tried to rev it and even driving home the hose was still cold below.
The cabin gets warm, the top hose is warm and I am confused.
I don't know if I just have a large air pocket or I am in deeper with this fan issue. I was just wondering if this was a common issue but I couldn't really find any more information out on the web.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:41 AM
I just bought a 07 fit, and I noticed that the fan seems to have this erratic behavior as well. The fan runs every minute or two, for about 5 seconds. Even if the car is cold and has just been started. I do not have the a/c or the defrost on.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:22 PM
I never figured out why, I just learned to live with it. It makes no sense as everything on the car appears to be working. I thought it might be a bleeding issue after doing the thermostat, but I have tried bleeding it multiple times

Old 12-22-2015, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
It could be to keep the under-hood temperatures lower. The intake air temp on mine hits 90 on cold days in real short order if the car is not moving.

I've suspected that the short coil life on the FIT is directly related to temperatures..