General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Age of the 'Average' Fit Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Age of the 'Average' Fit Owner

Hey everybody. I'm curious about this and thought I would ask. What is the 'average' Fit owner age? Many of the folks around here seem to be in younger age brackets (late teens & early twenties). I'm 40 myself. Not a Fit owner just yet though (but hoping!!!!).

Jeff (PossibleFitOwner)

Old 04-04-2009, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
There was a poll on here a while back and I believe the 40+ option had the most votes. It was a good mix, though.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I would say the GE8 and all the newest features brought along a much older age group... whereas earlier models fit the demographic of the younger set to be sure.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Im 21 myself. I always assumed fit owners would be among younger ages too.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
If you're forty, I was in high school when you were born.

Cheers.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by minnemike
I would say the GE8 and all the newest features brought along a much older age group... whereas earlier models fit the demographic of the younger set to be sure.
Hey - what about me???? Owner of a 2007 GD3 and will be 53 in May -

Cat :x

Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Well SportMTNavi & Cat, I guess it's ok for a 40 year old to buy a Fit. Seriously though, I did see my first Fit on the road yesterday on a trip back to Illinois from Indianapolis and it was packed to the brim with stuff and people. I"m getting very very ansty but still determining my budgetary issues.

Jeff (PossibleFitNewbie)

Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 PM
If you're 40 I was in Vietnam when you were born.....graduated high school in 1965 (age 61 and start drawing Social Security this year!).

I've had my Fit about a month and just ordered 17" wheels and am trying to decide on tires. I think Yokohama Parada Spec 2. Waiting for the Progress rear sway bar and the Greddy brunt tip exhaust to come out for the GE8.

I've owned about 100 cars, 10 Hondas and numerous BMW and Porsche automobiles. The Fit so far is one of the best if not the best car I have owned. Love it and plan to autocross this summer.

Am I a young 61? Hope so.....

Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in the same spot you are, trying to get a new Fit but the budget disagrees with me. At this point I'm looking at Dec. as the month I will have enough of a down payment and hopefully almost a 700 credit score so I can finance at a lower rate. I nearly got one when I went to the dealership 2 weeks ago but they didn't have the color I wanted. Good thing, because it probably would have been a bad financial decision.

It's best to wait until you are 100% sure you can afford it after doing the math, lest you risk repossession.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by mholbrook38
If you're 40 I was in Vietnam when you were born.....graduated high school in 1965 (age 61 and start drawing Social Security this year!).

I've had my Fit about a month and just ordered 17" wheels and am trying to decide on tires. I think Yokohama Parada Spec 2. Waiting for the Progress rear sway bar and the Greddy brunt tip exhaust to come out for the GE8.

I've owned about 100 cars, 10 Hondas and numerous BMW and Porsche automobiles. The Fit so far is one of the best if not the best car I have owned. Love it and plan to autocross this summer.

Am I a young 61? Hope so.....
Dang, now I really feel like a kid!!! My dad is 60 and was also in Vietnam. Really does look like the Fit appeals to all generations. I wish our automakers would understand that bigger isn't always better and bring these cars they make for the European and Asian markets here for us to enjoy too.

Jeff (PossibleFitNewbie)

Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Vanct
I'm in the same spot you are, trying to get a new Fit but the budget disagrees with me. At this point I'm looking at Dec. as the month I will have enough of a down payment and hopefully almost a 700 credit score so I can finance at a lower rate. I nearly got one when I went to the dealership 2 weeks ago but they didn't have the color I wanted. Good thing, because it probably would have been a bad financial decision.

It's best to wait until you are 100% sure you can afford it after doing the math, lest you risk repossession.
Actually getting one and affording it isn't really the issue. I just don't want to cut back on my savings. I do have a car that's doing a good job of getting me from A to B Part of me wants to wait another year for 2010 models and see what's offered, part of me wants one now. Like you, fortunately for my wallet, the dealer didn't have the model/color I wanted (MT Sport with Navi). So was able to walk out and feel ok (kinda antsy, but ok).

Jeff (PossibleFitNewbie)

Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Was it Bill Mitchell who took over Pontiac in 1956 and immediately changed the styling. I believe he said something to the effect like "You can sell a young mans car to an old man, but you can't sell an old mans car to a young man."

Old 04-04-2009, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
23 yrs old

Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Fit for all

Hey FitFreakers,

I am 69, and we just came up on our 1 yr anniv with our '08 Fit 5-speed. We drive it hard, and it has rewarded us with a one-yr gas average of 41.3 mpg.

In the Spring and Summer my wife and I load the Fit with 2 kayaks, all of the equipment needed, and often a third person....and go off to the Rio Grande for a day of running rapids. One kayak on top, the 2-man inside (inflatable).

Lots of Fit drivers here locally now, and most are over 50.

Most of the Prius hybrids are now just sitting on the lots......take your pick. The Fit offers everything....space, economy, fun, and great mileage.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM
31 here and there is a guy in my building who is in his 60's with a fit too. First of all havent see too many fits in nyc and when I do, they are around my age or older. I see the younger crowd with the civics.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Everybody around here still drives their trucks, SUVs or whatever else gets 20mpg or less. I have seen a few Prius' around but only one Fit in town and that was in the WalMart parking lot, so may not have even been local. I know 40mpg would make my wallet happy.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
To FitNewbie,

My recommendation in buying a Fit is simple....do not buy the auto trans.

The 5-speed manual is way more fun...and easy to shift. But it also has more power when needed (with shifting), and will certainly get much better gas mileage than the auto.

I also recommend running your tires at 40 psi, or even 45 psi. That makes a huge difference in your rolling ability, and therefore your gas mileage. The max on the sidewall is 51 psi, so you are not violating any laws, etc.

My wife and I do not find the ride to be rough at all, and we feel like we have more control. To document any of this, go over to the Ecofit postings on this site. A few people getting a legit 50+ mpg.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
average fit owner? or average fitfreak member?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 PM
nmfit2008, AT wasn't even under consideration for me. One of the reasons I originally looked at the Fit. So few cars nowadays have MT and I miss not having it. Had it in my Golf and loved it. Just feel like I'm doing something when I'm driving. That's one reason I don't have a new one now is because the dealer didn't have any MT with Navi (or in the color I want).

Jeff (PossibleFitNewbie)

Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Looks like the average Fit owner (FitFreak Member) is somewhere between 17 and 80, loves cars and is enthusiastic about their Fit be it GD3 or GE8. Just the kind of group I like to find myself in.

Quick Reply: Age of the 'Average' Fit Owner