1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Wet passenger footwell

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Question Wet passenger footwell

Hi Everyone, newbie to this site. I've recently found a large puddle under the carpet of the passenger footwell, with no apparent signs of water getting in anywhere. It's an 04 plate, bought last year so I phoned the dealer I got it from and he said it would be the sunroof drain tube (common fault), I've put a wire down both sides of the holes at the front of the sunroof then poured water in which comes out fine under the car so I don't think it was that. Next after much googling was to check inside engine compartment for blockages/water entering cabin - nothing, everything seems ok. Then I found a thread somewhere saying that if the aircon drain tube was blocked or the cabin filter clogged it could cause the problem. I checked the cabin filter and it WAS filthy so I've put a new one in. As for the aircon drain tube - is there one inside the car?? Other than that I can see from inside the engine there looks to be a black rubber hose coming from somewhere near behind the dash but I can't get under the car to check it - I'm assuming/hoping it's the drain tube for the aircon and hoping it's blocked at the exit of the tube. Anyone got any more ideas, any help appreciated.?

Old 04-13-2019, 07:18 AM
The Fits have a known issue of water leaking through door trim panel after it rains. Mine is a 2018 and the water got past the plastic moisture barrier, collected under the speaker and eventually made its way over the sill and onto the interior floor. I first noticed the water in the passenger footwell and, initially, could not figure where it was coming from.

I would start here.

Search 'water leak issue' and should have quite a few threads on this and potential fixes.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
If it's the A/C condensate drain tube, you can sometimes hear a sloshing sound if you come to a stop. If you run the A/C on a humid day and see nothing dripping underneath the car, you've found the culprit.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
If it's the A/C condensate drain tube, you can sometimes hear a sloshing sound if you come to a stop. If you run the A/C on a humid day and see nothing dripping underneath the car, you've found the culprit.
I have this issue. Water in the passenger footwell and I can hear the sloshing sound. I recently had the fan and blower resistor changed and am wonder if the A/C condensate line is connected to these elements? Just trying to figure out if it is possible that the service tech caused this issue.