General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

HELP!!! Water in Fit--anyone solved it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:49 AM
HELP!!! Water in Fit--anyone solved it?

Hey,
I'm new here. I see a lot of discussion about water getting into the Fit. I have a 2008 Fit Sport, and for the last couple of months, when it rains, water is pooling behind the passenger seat and running down behind the carpet, etc. I see where others have the same problem, but no one seems to have a definite idea where the water is coming from. I've read it could be the roof rails or between the door panels or the antenna or the hatch or the bumper!! I am so frustrated. I can't take it to the dealer when it's raining, but I don't want to take it to them without knowing where the problem is and having them tear the car apart and still NOT fixing the right thing!! HELP!!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 PM
id say drive it, when it rains take a picture maybe even a video and then take it to them

Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by MannyaK
id say drive it, when it rains take a picture maybe even a video and then take it to them
Seconded. You're not going to know for certain where it's leaking unless you're in the car while it's raining and watching.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
I just searched Honda's Interactive Network and I did find a request for water leak information for 09-11 Fits, but not for the 07-08. Honda is suggesting that water leaks from the antenna base might be a concern, but they've not issued any bulletins or anything. They must be in the early information gathering stages.

I did find a leak detection aid when looking under "water leak" in the 2008 Fit Tech section. It suggested using a leak detection powder or spray, or even foot powder as it is usually odorless. The water will leave a trail through the powder as it leaks, making it easier to trace the root of the leak.

Quoting Honda's iN:

Originally Posted by iN

Got an interior water leak? You won’t get any argument that pinpointing its source can often be timeconsuming—
if not downright frustrating—work. To help make the job go a little easier, try using a spray
powder to coat the vertical surfaces around the leak area. The water leak will leave a trail through the
powder, leading you straight to the source.
So you don’t get any customer complaints, make sure you’re using a product that’s unscented or at least
has a neutral scent. Powdered deodorant or foot powder works well for this, but don’t try using a leak
detection powder like D-70 Developer—it leaves just way too strong of an odor.

Oh, and when a vehicle comes into our service department with a water leak we have to fill out a form with the customer. It has a diagram of a car where we highlight areas where the water collects, and where the best guess of the source is. Then there are yes/no questions such as:

"Has the vehicle ever been in an accident? Area of repairs?"

"Has the vehicle ever had a windshield replacement? Any other windows replaced?"

"Can you hear water sloshing?"

"Have any aftermarket undercoating products been used?"

Hope that helps.

Last edited by B18C5-EH2; 05-04-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...-panels-2.html

read that for some info on what to do

google honda fit leak in boot or site search fitfreak

seems our Euro bound fits have the leak in the boot quite often, typically through the antenna

the above is mostly from the craptastic barrier seals on the doors....the hose method they mention works wonders

good luck

and dry that bad boy out as soon as possible!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the advice. What I DON'T GET, tho, is that a LOT of people seem to be having this problem, but there is no ONE for sure answer. Has anyone had the problem and actually HAD IT FIXED? I don't want to go to the dealer and have them tear the car apart, fix something, then come back home to find that the problem is still a problem! Seems like anytime a dealer tears a car apart, it's never the same. AARGH!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i thought it was the door seal weather stripping that was faulty?

anyway, take it to the dealer and have them wash it (or hose water on it). walla

Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 PM
If it is the antenna, I would suggest removing it and reapplying silicone to the seal. Chances are the seal is bad.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bigaizsosexy
If it is the antenna, I would suggest removing it and reapplying silicone to the seal. Chances are the seal is bad.
2 yr. old thread bud... just saying...

Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 AM
Banned
This has been solved a long time ago. There is a thread in today's new posts about it and how it is bad sealing under the roof rubber strips.