1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Under bumper/engine plastic panel info..

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Under bumper/engine plastic panel info..

The 07 fit I just bought was in a light front ender before I bought it. The mechanic forgot to install the plastic panel under the front bumper which I think extends under the engine.. We just replaced both damaged plastic inner fender wells because the previous owner said the car started to run rough during a down pour, but I'm wondering how much water or mud will make it up to the engine and possibly cause problems if I run without this panel, even after replacing the fender wells..

Any insight on this panel because I cant find the part on rockauto?

Thanks!

Last edited by rerod; 05-31-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:51 PM
It does extend under the engine, though I don't know how much it actually does. Here's one on ebay - looks like it isn't OEM, but pretty cheap.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by petelite
It does extend under the engine, though I don't know how much it actually does. Here's one on ebay - looks like it isn't OEM, but pretty cheap.
Thanks!

I'm glad to see the splash shield fits the base and the sport. I have the base but Im running the sport front bumper.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
hanging splash shield destroyed

I had replaced missing clips and used a combination of wire and zip ties to refasten the shield under the engine and also the LF fender inner.
Previous owner had a bunch of scrapes but admit that we also clipped a few kerbs.
Just ordered replacements for both after I heard scraping noise that I thought was a stone picked up in a tire. Nope. Half the engine shield and front portion of LF inner shield were torn off.
I do my own oil changes so I would have noticed if one or more fasteners were loose a few months ago.

Will order some clips but also use zip ties as appropriate.
Some of those clips are pricey and as noted in other forums, new is better than reused.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Good inforamation.. Thanks.

[QUOTE=rpsf;1470494]I had replaced missing clips and used a combination of wire and zip ties to refasten the shield under the engine and also the LF fender inner.
Previous owner had a bunch of scrapes but admit that we also clipped a few kerbs.
Just ordered replacements for both after I heard scraping noise that I thought was a stone picked up in a tire. Nope. Half the engine shield and front portion of LF inner shield were torn off.
I do my own oil changes so I would have noticed if one or more fasteners were loose a few months ago.

Will order some clips but also use zip ties as appropriate.
Some of those clips are pricey and as noted in other forums, new is better than reused