1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Disabling the eps electric power steering to prevent pulling left?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Disabling the eps electric power steering to prevent pulling left?

Hello everyone.

My 07 fit pulls to the left. Ive adjusted air pressure and its not terrible, but it's still dangerous. My mechanic said the eps electric power steering rack is to blame after he started the car on his lift, and watched the rack steer left with no steering wheel input.. So I figure if I unplug the rack, it should stop moving or pulling, but I'm still reluctant because I don't know if unplugging the eps would effect any other operation. I'm guessing not, but it doesn't hurt to ask..

Anyone?
Thanks!

https://fusecheck.com/honda/honda-fi...8-fuse-diagram

Old 08-06-2022, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
I removed fuse #3 disabling the EPS and gauge cluster and the car steered arrow straight down the highway. I tried to reinstall the fuse after driving it straight hoping the EPS would reset, but the EPS still "thinks" the car is always steering right, so tries to center itself by steering the rack left.. What senses if the car is running straight or not?

The price of a new steering rack and front struts alone is more than the car it worth and might not fix the issue if the steering sensor has failed in the EPS module. But a used manual fit isn't cheap and almost impossible to find locally..

Anyone?
Thanks

Old 08-07-2022, 07:24 PM
GGG
My understanding is that there is a torque sensor in the steering column. It may be possible to reset the EPS system with a scan tool or a wire jumper. There are videos of people doing that online. Somewhat unrelated, but I plan to disable my power steering for a small boost in fuel economy.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GGG
My understanding is that there is a torque sensor in the steering column. It may be possible to reset the EPS system with a scan tool or a wire jumper. There are videos of people doing that online. Somewhat unrelated, but I plan to disable my power steering for a small boost in fuel economy.
Thanks GGG.. I found that video but unfortunately I could not relearn the torque sensor.. When I jumpered 4 to 9 and powered up, the torque sensor relearn light flashed three short flash's followed by a longer forth flash over and over, or not what the video showed.
So I removed the 60A EPS fuse and all is good. Canceled my gym membership too..

Kind of sucks though, because most of my driving is in town.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:47 PM
GGG
not giving advice here, but increasing the front tire pressure will make steering easier.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GGG
not giving advice here, but increasing the front tire pressure will make steering easier.
Thanks..

How many MPG's do you think we will gain by disabling the power steering?

Old 08-07-2022, 08:06 PM
GGG
I'm not sure, but probably less than 1mpg. I'm systematically improving the efficiency of my car so 100 little things all adds up to big improvements.