1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Slight click/clunk w clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 09:38 AM
Slight click/clunk w clutch pedal

2008 Fit base with manual. I've noticed recently that the clutch pedal slightly clicks or clunks when it is almost fully depressed. I had been thinking maybe this was a switch for the starter (i.e., must depress clutch to engage starter), but I think it's odd that it's never been that loud before. I have looked up clutch issues on the web, and do see that Hondas do have clutch master cylinder problems on occasion, but one tell-tale sign is the loss of fluid and often a leaking around the shaft where the pedal goes into the master. I don't see any leaking when I look up there where the shaft goes through the firewall. Also don't see any switch that is obviously engaging when the pedal is pushed, though. Is this sound a normal sound of a switch as I first thought, or is this a sound of an impending clutch master failure?

Old 02-19-2020, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
The switch is located higher than the pivot, to the left of the release stop bolt. Mine is yellow back, and it is hard to miss...or the wires. . There is a tab on the clutch pedal arm, ..again, higher than the pivot. When clutch is depressed, the tab rotates against the switch.....it is very accessible.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
I have had the issue with the pedal being lazy to return, especially in cold weather; it takes a couple seconds for the pedal to return after depressing it to the floor. I had my clutch replaced, and that didn't solve it (was time to replace anyway, fortunately) and the clutch guy said he had no clue. I then replaced the master cylinder, slave cylinder and the clutch hydraulic line and nothing has helped. I can only conclude that it is caused by the clutch fork, the ONLY thing that has not been replaced. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has had a clutch issue related to the clutch fork.