1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

GD vs GE

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 PM
GD vs GE

! w00t !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cfCOX3isRQ&feature=related

Last edited by gd3hero; 09-12-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't call owned just yet because we don't know what differences the Fits had aside from being different generations and drivers. If they showed if the Fits were stock or modified, had the drivers swap cars, or have a solo timed run; then I'd call it. In the video you can see that the GE8 driver had made some mistakes like shifting late and missing his apex (the 1st chicane for example).

Old 09-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
I wouldn't call owned just yet because we don't know what differences the Fits had aside from being different generations and drivers. If they showed if the Fits were stock or modified, had the drivers swap cars, or have a solo timed run; then I'd call it. In the video you can see that the GE8 driver had made some mistakes like shifting late and missing his apex (the 1st chicane for example).
I see I will edit it, sir.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Aw man, you didn't to have to go edit your post. We're all entitled to our opinions, I just believe that in that video there were too many variances between the cars; be it known or unknown.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Nice...

Well it has been proven already the GD3 is a better track car despite the tiny power difference. The main advantages come from the suspension and slightly less girth, sure the GE8 may have some advantage in the low end torque, but once you get up and going it doesn't matter... although I would expect the GE8 to get slightly worse mileage in stop and go traffic.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
gd>ge .

Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
YouTube - 2009 HONDA FIT NEW CAR REVIEW

rice boy says that the ge takes corners better
no matter tho. they are both great.

Last edited by BlackUp; 09-12-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Nice...

Well it has been proven already the GD3 is a better track car despite the tiny power difference. The main advantages come from the suspension and slightly less girth, sure the GE8 may have some advantage in the low end torque, but once you get up and going it doesn't matter... although I would expect the GE8 to get slightly worse mileage in stop and go traffic.
where is this comparision everyone talks about?

and is it comparing a usdm gd versus a usdm ge?

if not, it means nothing.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Sorry, but that was the biggest piece of fluff work I have ever seen...

They even ragged on the dot above the "I" on the logo which I thought was a unique touch for the old one.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
where is this comparision everyone talks about?

and is it comparing a usdm gd versus a usdm ge?

if not, it means nothing.
The new fit has softer suspension for comfort... even that fluff piece posted above admitted that much. Granted it wider... but also longer so it won't rotate as well in tight corners; it also weights just enough more to offset the power difference. It can probably get 0-60 faster, but that doesn't really matter once you are moving. One of the great things about the GD3 was it's ability to navigate the slalom quickly.... increased width, length, and weight combined with softer suspension will all negatively affect that.

GD3 > GE8 on the track

GE8 > GD3 for little old ladies and people looking to comfortably ride from A-B

Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
The new fit has softer suspension for comfort... even that fluff piece posted above admitted that much. Granted it wider... but also longer so it won't rotate as well in tight corners; it also weights just enough more to offset the power difference. It can probably get 0-60 faster, but that doesn't really matter once you are moving. One of the great things about the GD3 was it's ability to navigate the slalom quickly.... increased width, length, and weight combined with softer suspension will all negatively affect that.

GD3 > GE8 on the track

GE8 > GD3 for little old ladies and people looking to comfortably ride from A-B

totally agreed, but i'm just wondering why people are concluding things when there is no hard evidence. no full instrumented testing. there are a lot of comfy cars that handle better than stiffly sprung ones.

and i never heard edmunds say the gd was as fun as a mini.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
^^^It isn't technically. Mini kills the old and new Fit on the track

Suspension upgrade is a must for these cars!!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
^^^It isn't technically. Mini kills the old and new Fit on the track

Suspension upgrade is a must for these cars!!
ha ha! agreed. i'm kinda glad my wife has a new beetle instead of the mini we test drove (which was more expensive and a base model) because it blew even the fit out of the water.

i watched the review, seems like the added rididity and better turn in with more comfort seems like a win.

the 06+ civics ride more smoothly and are more rigid, in comparsion to the older ones which rode more harshly, and i think thats how this is going to play out too.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
"GE8 > GD3 for little old ladies and people looking to comfortably ride from A-B"
haha i guess thats me

sorry for the fluff piece but hopefully it helps illustrate that there are conflicting opinions here. for instance, many people have the mindset that the suspension is softer=doen't manuever as well. but what about increased body rigidity, swaybar, wider track, and improved (supposedly) front end?

this all coming from a 27 year old who would rather put money into his mortgage and student loans than soup up a commuter vehicle.

to each his own but there is a reason you don't see grown ass men in little dropped cars with 1000s of dollars invested in mods
thats not to say that sportiness doesnt matter or whatever but you guy are some freaks (fit) for real! haha

Last edited by BlackUp; 09-12-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
It is a bit of a fluff piece, it doesn't highlight any areas for improvement and does nothing but compliment every single feature right down to the changed logo. Basically these guys sound thrilled to get their hands on a free Honda to test and they put together a complimentary review instead of a non-bias one that properly covers the facts.

You have to take my comments about the GE8 light heartedly, honestly I think driver skill would play a larger part if you put these two models against each other anyway.

I am mostly just pointing out that the old one does have some advantages, when it comes right down to it these cars are going to be used as point A-B transportation 90% of the time so in that regard the new one is improved to foster that. There is nothing wrong with that, it will compete better against similar cars as it will appeal to more people and they will sell more as a result. This is a success in Honda's book.

Originally Posted by BlackUp
this all coming from a 27 year old who would rather put money into his mortgage and student loans than soup up a commuter vehicle.

to each his own but there is a reason you don't see grown ass men in little dropped cars with 1000s of dollars invested in mods
As for your last statement you should take a look around. Not every person on here is a 16 year old punk and there is a huge number of "grown ass men" in this forum that do invest 1000's into their cars. The fit is a very driver orientated car and it has a following for that reason alone, people invest some cash into them to enhance it and they are a blast to drive.

This coming from a 26 year old who has long since paid his student loans and has nearly paid off his mortgage.

Originally Posted by eldaino
ha ha! agreed. i'm kinda glad my wife has a new beetle instead of the mini we test drove (which was more expensive and a base model) because it blew even the fit out of the water.

i watched the review, seems like the added rididity and better turn in with more comfort seems like a win.

the 06+ civics ride more smoothly and are more rigid, in comparsion to the older ones which rode more harshly, and i think thats how this is going to play out too.
I would be willing to bet with the improved rigidity it should respond really well to a suspension package. The current fit needs a lot of bracing and struts and even then it seems a bit too flexible. The new one will probably handle like it is on rails if you threw in a suspension package, even just springs would be interesting to see.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-12-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:03 AM
besides track stuff...

gd>>>>>>>>>>>ge

was considering trading my gd3 for a ge until i saw my first ge yesterday. inmo, it is fugly. the side windows do not flow into the hood as the gd3, the triangular window near the rearviews are huge, and the length from front wheel well to front bumper looks as if the car will tip on its nose. however, view from the front is killer. view from back looks like a gd3.

yes, it does have all the things our gd3 's didn't come with, but (for the most part) you can add them for cheap. will be keeping my gd3 till it dies!!!!!!!!!!