1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Winter driving - Fit weaknesses

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Im awaiting this Chicago winter and i have a feeling its going to be brutal. I think im just going to drive as slow and safe as possible!

Old 10-16-2009, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zukered
Well, thanks to a 2-month long transit strike, I've been forced to drive through almost every winter condition imaginable--freezing rain, black ice, slush, heavy snow, and temperatures as low as -35°C. I love my Fit but it has some definite winter weaknesses:

- even with winter tires on, it'll skid or lose traction even on small amounts of snow, either when stopping or accelerating from a stop. I was surprised, to be frank; I've previously driven a '96 Neon with winter tires, and it wasn't that big a problem (the Neon was an A/T though). Is the Fit really *that* light that it floats over a bit of snow?

- OEM wipers and blades streak really badly after about 25 minutes in wet snowfall. I think melted snow/wiper fluid gets into the flexing joints/coil/ spring and freezes, so the middle of the blades aren't getting pressed onto the glass like it should. Thankfully more a problem on the passenger-side wiper

- windshield defroster can't keep up with me and three passengers when it's below -25°C

- Mine's the non-Sport trim, but road clearance is still lower than expected on 14" wheels. About five times now I've spotted a chunk of wheel-well ice ahead and couldn't safely evade. They probably sat just a bit higher than a baseball would, and every time I passed over one I would feel it hit and scrape the bottom of the car--argh! I'm worried one might have dented or damaged something, but the dealer reported no issues when I took it in for its first oil change last week.

Anyone else encounter these winter issues?

As is always the case, tires matter the most. If you're trying to drive in midwest snow conditions on OEM Dunslops, I'm surprized you go at all.
Get some good tires - consult other posters and TireRack testing for a good selection.
My Fit does mountain duty regularly in winter and does quite well with IceBears - though others do at least as well based on experience -and even rescued a BMW. (on all-weather tires).
Though my Fit isn't as good as my Geo Metro as it weighs a good 800 lb more it does do well. Contrary to superstitition, lighter the car and the better the snow tires the better in winter. The less weight you have to herd the easier traction and changing course and tires with nice tread designs that increase pressure between tire and snow/ice surface the easier it gets there. There was a reason Saabs and Minis ruled the winter rallies til the 4WD vehicles arrived though weight is still reduced as much as possible.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zukered
Well, thanks to a 2-month long transit strike, I've been forced to drive through almost every winter condition imaginable--freezing rain, black ice, slush, heavy snow, and temperatures as low as -35°C. I love my Fit but it has some definite winter weaknesses:

- even with winter tires on, it'll skid or lose traction even on small amounts of snow, either when stopping or accelerating from a stop. I was surprised, to be frank; I've previously driven a '96 Neon with winter tires, and it wasn't that big a problem (the Neon was an A/T though). Is the Fit really *that* light that it floats over a bit of snow?

- OEM wipers and blades streak really badly after about 25 minutes in wet snowfall. I think melted snow/wiper fluid gets into the flexing joints/coil/ spring and freezes, so the middle of the blades aren't getting pressed onto the glass like it should. Thankfully more a problem on the passenger-side wiper

- windshield defroster can't keep up with me and three passengers when it's below -25°C

- Mine's the non-Sport trim, but road clearance is still lower than expected on 14" wheels. About five times now I've spotted a chunk of wheel-well ice ahead and couldn't safely evade. They probably sat just a bit higher than a baseball would, and every time I passed over one I would feel it hit and scrape the bottom of the car--argh! I'm worried one might have dented or damaged something, but the dealer reported no issues when I took it in for its first oil change last week.

Anyone else encounter these winter issues?

Clearance is 5", about same as most cars.

Winter tires are what? Ciompared your experience with TireRack test results?

Check you windshield wiper blades and spring force against winshield. Tried RainX?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Hmm...I just got my fit last week. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio so the winter isn't bad all winter. It usually snows bad once or twice it just depends. We shall see what happens this year, hopefully not much! I hate driving in snow and am nervous to drive my fit in the snow! Hopefully I won't have too many problems!

Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
HotShot

Originally Posted by polaski
For that very reason I wish Honda would have implemented that system that heats washer fluid to something like 170 degrees right out of the pump.

I've only had that trouble once with these OEM wipers. The set that was absolutely terrible was that silicone tripledge type on my civic. They were only usable dry in the salt (wet would smear), for a while- then you spray for 15 seconds to clean them off so they'd work for another 5 minutes.

I've always wondered if I should keep some wipes in the car or something, just in case. Maybe just a rag and a windex bottle filled with low-temp washer fluid would work.
I bough a HotShot on eBay in the summer for $62. It is a brand new heated windshield washer fluid warmer that uses in GM cars/SUV. It heats washer fluid to 150F. I cannot wait to use it this winter.

Last edited by FITMugen; 10-18-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Update temp
Old 10-18-2009, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITMugen
I bough a HotShot on eBay in the summer for $62. It is a brand new heated windshield washer fluid warmer that uses in GM cars/SUV. It heats washer fluid to 160F. I cannot wait to use it this winter.

Is that anything like wrapping your washer fluid bottle with a 12v heating tape powered directly off the battery?
That works in mildly cold weather but the truth is that the spray looses heat so fast that it virtually freezes on the windshield at below 20F. The point here is the inability to keep wash water from freezing when it hits the wndshield even if the washer fluid is heated to 180F.

The solution we found works is to use 50% ethylene glycol antifreeze in the washer bottle which doesn't freeze til -30F but I don't think thats too good for paint. There must be another low temp freezing liquid to use. Any suggestions while I do some research?

Last edited by mahout; 10-18-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
HotShot

No, there is nothing wrap the washer bottle. I connected the fluid line from the washer bottle to it. It has a small internal reservoir for heating the fluid. Then connect it to fluid line before getting to nozzles. (Basically, it sits between washer bottle and nozzles). So the location of the HotShot should close to nozzles as much as possible. It gets power directly from battery. Manual states clearly that using HotShot while engine runs only. Otherwise, it will draw power from battery real quick. One press will warn up washer fluid for 3 minutes.
It works the same as in Cadillac CTS since it made from the same manufacture.

Please see this URL.
http://www.windshieldwiperheaters.com/

Old 10-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my dd's are parked outside. i use a snowbrum to remove most of the snow and also a bottle of washer fluid to spray at the washer nozzle on the car from the outside the car.

the car's only weakness is the tires... get some WS60's and you are on your way.
if you have super cold weather like in the north (as in Canada) get a block heater.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:14 PM
I've been quoted $570 cad all in for a x4 set of michellin xice 3rd generation including install and taxes plus a 70 usd mail in rebate... size 175/60/14 (base Canadian LX size) does anyone has this tire on their Fit and can comment on performance?

Surprised no one went out of their way to grille block their radiator... I did mine and the temps are still around 40F or 5 degrees C (El Nino baby!) and the water temp never past 80 degrees C although I was hogging all the heat hehe.

But for a tiny engine it surely does not produce enough heat, grille block that bitch!

Old 12-31-2015, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by vap3
I've been quoted $570 cad all in for a x4 set of michellin xice 3rd generation including install and taxes plus a 70 usd mail in rebate...
That's a solid deal on winters...

I picked up some near new tires 2x Michelin X-Ice and 2x Toyo on VW allow rims and they do a decent job. The biggest issue i find with winter driving is the slipping on acceleration from stop (I have an AT) along with loss of traction in turns. Just not enough weight on top of the FWD. Stopping distance is awesome though. I also drive an older model GM pickup and AWD Flex and that much momentum is tougher to stop than the little fit.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
You realize the Fit has like 62/38 weight distribution, right?

Old 12-31-2015, 03:00 AM
No I didnt, but 62% of 1010kg still isn't a whole lot. Its a compact though and my first so I am sure its the same for all in its class. And as i said reduced weight seems to help with stopping distance.

Narrow tires would cut better into the snow so the 175 are a good choice.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member
With respect to windshield washer fluid:
-every single brand washer fluid that claims to be all season and -40C (that I've tried) was crap. It basically instantly freezes on your windshield. I use RainX with de icer and it works like a charm. I'm not saying RainX is the best, just that for me, a windshield washer fluid with deicer is a must for winter. Also, warming up your windshield with the defog setting does help.

I run michelin x Ice 2 and I like them. 3 are probably even better. Your quote is a good price. I believe that Blizzaks have a softer compound and more grip but michelin x ice is supposed to be the best of both worlds. They are pretty good on dry pavement, which is important because winter driving does end up being partially snow and pavement and I've tried some winters (especially studded) that performed extremely poorly on dry pavement or black ice.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:26 AM
i better jump the gun before winter hits! will post pics of the rubber when i get em

I've debated between 14 inches or 15 inches because of the ground clearance and decided to stick with 14's. I'll just be more careful where I drive :P

edit: saying thanks

Last edited by vap3; 01-08-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: thank you carbuff2
Old 01-08-2016, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vap3

I've debated between 14 inches or 15 inches because of the ground clearance and decided to stick with 14's.

If you install the recommended sizes (whether 14" or 15" or 16") this will not have a significant impact on ground clearance.

Our Fit Sport came with the alloys on 15s, and we got our winter tires from Tire Rack on 14" steel wheels.

You can use a Tire Size Calculator to see the differences in diameter of different sizes. I use this one

Tire size calculator

but I believe Tire Rack has one on their website also. nLook here

Tire Rack - Search Results for equivalent tire sizes

Old 02-25-2016, 12:26 PM
I just use paddle shifter to put car in 2nd and no issues at all.