1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Any known transmission Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
i've never really trusted automatic transmissions ever since my nissan maxima's tranny completely died on me. ever since then, i've stuck with stick-shifts, especially on an engine as small as ours. there are days that i wish i had an automatic though.

just don't beat your car up and mashing the gas pedal. just ease into the throttle and accelerate graudally. it'll be fine.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by Contrabida Face
just don't beat your car up and mashing the gas pedal. just ease into the throttle and accelerate gradually. it'll be fine.
I Mash my pedal everyday. and never ever had a problem with my tranny! Honda is a great company that make strong and reliable engines! The tranny wont brake! Only if you run the tranny with non oil!

Mash your pedal of accelerate gradually it really don't make a difference on the Honda Jazz / Fit.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Contrabida Face
i've never really trusted automatic transmissions ever since my nissan maxima's tranny completely died on me. ever since then, i've stuck with stick-shifts, especially on an engine as small as ours. there are days that i wish i had an automatic though.

just don't beat your car up and mashing the gas pedal. just ease into the throttle and accelerate graudally. it'll be fine.
I had an 02 I35...the nissan transmission of that generation was notoriously weak behind that wonderfully monstrous 3.5L V6. No such problems with our little 1.5L I4...

Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Supports as in the Transmission mounts? That would make sense.
Yep, transmission mounts. Thanks for the clarification

Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Yep, transmission mounts. Thanks for the clarification
So the transmission mounts get weak over time and cause vibration I'm assuming? I'm at 53K right now.

I ask because when I'm on the highway everything's smooth. Then here and there I'll get major vibration but only for a second or two, then it'll go away. It happens mostly at around 60-65, below that it's smooth as hell. I don't get wheel shake or anything, just a vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel, etc. I checked my engine mounts yesterday, they look solid.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 AM
So the transmission mounts get weak over time and cause vibration I'm assuming? I'm at 53K right now.

I ask because when I'm on the highway everything's smooth. Then here and there I'll get major vibration but only for a second or two, then it'll go away. It happens mostly at around 60-65, below that it's smooth as hell. I don't get wheel shake or anything, just a vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel, etc. I checked my engine mounts yesterday, they look solid.
I use a Engine Torque Damper! Back in the day Mini came standard with this! it doesnt even have to be a big name and it dont have to be hydraulic. Just a Simple piece of steel connected to the bulkhead and the engine or engine mount to stop the engine from twisting!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
It's not something's that consistent though. It's completely random and erratic on the highway. I'm thinking of paying a visit to the dealer just to have it checked out at least.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM
It's not something's that consistent though. It's completely random and erratic on the highway. I'm thinking of paying a visit to the dealer just to have it checked out at least.
Thats usually the best thing to do! btw don't just tell them the problem and leave it with them! get them in the car with you so they can experience the same problem.

The amount of times i have told a dealer the problem and they don't fix it! instead they say no problem and then charge me for a service

Old 04-23-2009, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Everytime I take them for a road test for something I'm experiencing in my past cars they NEVER and I mean NEVER hear or notice what I'm talking about. It's so frustrating.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I just had a problem with my trans. I was driving it in sport mode around town and while in second gear the trans made a bad thump and shifted into 3rd with out me using the paddle. The check engine light came on and the "D" light was flashing. Good thing I purchased the 80k warranty. I have 73k on it now. I will post what happened after I get back from the dealer. I was going to leave on a 9 hour trip tonight...better take the wife's car now.

When I was in 2nd, I only had the pedal down about 1/3rd throttle and the RPM's were only around 3500.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
absolutely no issue on my FitS.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
yea , my problem. stock clutch starts slipping like crazy after 200 HP

Old 07-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
My AT has been doing great and it is a 2007. You definitely feel the downshifts which was something I had to get use to since this was my first import.

Cat :x

Old 07-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Went to the dealer and they flashed the EEPROM and everything is fine now. But the fluid will need to be replaced soon as it's starting to smell like it's burned and it's having a ''too brown of a color for my own taste''... AMSoil ATF is what's gonna be in next time!! Oh and BTW, the car has 36 000km on the clock!! I'd be you, i would check that...

Marko!!

P.S. Sorry for my ''Not so good english!'' :P

Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I just turned over 60,000 on mine, and the only thing i will say is that sometimes, if you decel down into first than quickly punch it like you are getting on the freeway it will wind up a lot before shifting out of first. some of the shift points seem a little odd too but otherwise it runs fine.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Well, so far no problems. Honda's are known for shitty transmissions. I just wish they made their trannies as good as their motors.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Angry Am I the only one?

I have 72k on my 2009 Fit and I am now $3800 in the hole for a complete tranny rebuild! I was informed that the transmission on the fit is closed with the filter inside so there is no way to change the filter without dropping the trans. Second gear completely fried on me (so the tech told me). I was driving one day and the car would make a clunking sound when shifting from first to second and then stay in second. I pulled over, turned the car off waited and then turned it back on and everything was fine. I then took it in to have it checked out and BAM! was told the bad news. They also told me that the fit has a history of this type of issue and to search online and I will see it is true. So far I have not been able to find anyone with a fit that has trans problems. Am I being fleeced?