1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Looking to buy 08 fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Thumbs up Looking to buy 08 fit

so im wanting to buy an 08 fit. is it worth it?
i heard the Fit is not that great in winter conditions
and it has no lower back support.
and the leg room in the back seat is a joke.

comments on anything u can give about the 08 Fit please!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 PM
I'd recommend the fit to anyone who doesn't mind something a little slower than other hondas. I love it. Im 6"1 and I can sit in the backseat comfortably, I definately wouldn't say its a joke. How bad of winter conditions are you going to be facing? It held up fine for me all winter long and drove perfectly normal. The seats arent the most comfortable, but my lower back never hurts after driving. That's the first i've heard of that. Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Banned
From what I can say. Anybody who has ever spoken to me about their fit has had nothing but smiles on their face when talking. The worst Ive herd is its not a fast car. If you don't plan to use it for high speed maneuvers then Id say go for it! I might even get myself one later on this year.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
the back seats are roomy and comfortable. I'm 6'3" 300+ lbs depending on when i ate LMAO. And i could fit in the back just fine before my knee surgery. Now adays its a little iffy but my brother is bigger than me and he rides in the back all the time. And usually there will be 3 or more of us in the car and no one in the front scoots the seat up. So yeah. I haven't really heard anything bad about winter handling. I don't live where it snows so i'm not good there. but no one has really complained.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
I love my Fit, and there's more room in it than in my wife's Taurus. I'm 5'6" and 2mumblemumble pounds, and the back seat is plenty roomy for me even with the front set all the way back. My recommendation? Find someone locally who has one and ask them about it. If they're anything like the other Fit owners I've met (and myself, of course) they'll talk your ear off about what they like/don't like, and you can see what one is like in person.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
get snow tires W60's... works like a charm.

rear seats are roomier than most eco sized sedans... plus you get cargo space. cant go wrong especially at this price.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Why are you concerned with winter conditions it appears that you live in Arizona...

Old 04-27-2009, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Ok penty of room in the back just look at pics of them to see that. No back pain that i know of or have ever heard of. The only not so good thing about the Fit is its very slow that is the main reason i got rid of mine i could not stand how slow it was any more. But now i still whish every now and than i had it due to it was a great car for gas,roadtrips,camping,fishing any thing would fit in that car. Now i love my new S but it sucks for all those things but its fast

Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
Why are you concerned with winter conditions it appears that you live in Arizona...
i was wondering that as well

Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by gimme
i was wondering that as well
Just did a quick google map and the city he has listed is actually in Kentucky. I suppose that would make a difference... either way Fit in the snow is fine, Fit on ice is comparable to any other car I've ever driven on ice...

Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Not sure how much of an unbiased opinion you'll get here...but anyways.

Like others have said if you want a fast car, the Fit isn't. However it has plenty of pep in its step for most, and handles wonderfully. I drive mostly in town, with lots of stops and starts, and I have an auto. Lots of members prefer the 5-spd manual and say they're better/more fun than the auto. I don't disagree, I love to drive a 5-spd too.

The only downsides to the Fit, imo, is the lack of options available, some of which can be cured with aftermarket stuff, like an armrest etc. Also, some have had mysterious rattles that seem to develop either in the dash, or on the passenger side door panel or both. Those usually are noticeable in cold weather only for some reason. The paint can be a bit chippy, but I've not had the issue with that as some have had.
Ride wise, my fiance has a Civic, and the ride on the Fit isn't as good as the Civic which was a bit of a disappointment for me as well.
Size wise, its quite roomy and bigger than it looks inside. My fiance is 6'1" and he fits fine in it.

The selling points for me were gas mileage, unique look/design, affordability, and great driveability, in no particular order. I researched this site a lot also and saw the mods available for the car and knew I wanted one.

Bottom line although it has some mild issues, the good far outweighs the bad with this car, IMO. I've had mine approx. 10 months & I absolutely love it.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:11 PM
I live in Northern AZ (some snow) and it does just fine if you use common sense (which a lot of people seem to lack). I have no complaints on leg room, but I will say that the I hate the lack of lumber support on the seats.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3vbp
Just did a quick google map and the city he has listed is actually in Kentucky. I suppose that would make a difference... either way Fit in the snow is fine, Fit on ice is comparable to any other car I've ever driven on ice...
That would be Paducah.

That said, I had no problems on day two of the ice storm with my Fit this year. It was interesting, but I got from Ft Knox to Louisville and back without a scratch.
Of course, I am a

Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 PM
thanks guys comments helped a lot. im not much of a racer so i dont plan on needing a car that will win a race.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
plenty of room in the back seat.

not very fast

Old 04-27-2009, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm no lower back (i.e. lumbar) support? That's true, but there are ways of getting around it. Sitting more upright helps...tried it last night and it was surprisingly effective. Does take getting used to, though.

I'm 5'8", 175 lb., definitely no "fitment" problems for me in the Fit/Jazz. If one were to nitpick, the steering wheel is a little too far away and the seat squabs are a little too short, but that's it.