1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Need new tires after only 28,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i was pleased with the stock dunlops as well. i put ~38k on them and could have put more (i'd estimate another 10k) but wanted some meatier tires so replaced them early. it really depends on how you drive though. braking, accelerating, and turning hard will all wear your tires a lot faster than a mellow driver. not that hard to figure out really.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
They don't seem to wear very well though. My stock tires were Michelin Vivacys, 175/65R14 82H. As OEM tires they're not very good, and were particularly bad under braking - very easy to induce lockup on my non-ABS Jazz.

Maybe I should try their other touring or performance tires but the 240 treadwear rating I've seen on most of their tires kind of puts me off.

Just my two cents...anyway glad to know they make a reliable winter tire for you guys in colder climes.

aside from one good tire rack staff review, i have never heard anything good about the michelins he mentioned. there sport a/s is an awesome tire as is most of their other lines, but the hx all seasons are whats responsible for the awful braking distances off all the stock accords they have ever been shod to. (plenty of reviews from edmunds and car and driver state this)
i like the good year eagle gt's, but i have read that they develop flat spots often.

right now i'm between those and the yokohama sdrives. they are supposed to be rather quiet and at 65 bucks a tire you cant go wrong. only 300 treadwear rating though. the goodyears are rated at 400, dunno if the extra seven bucks a tire and frequent flat spots will be worth it.

having 16's on your fit opens up SO many possibilities.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
eldaino,
300 treadwear is plenty high enough for a performance tire IMO

I used to run Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Positions, 205/45R16. That was a phenomenal tire with unflappable grip in any Philippine road condition (read: no snow or ice but lots of rain). But three things knocked it for me:
1) it's rather old...mine were made 2001, not sure if Bridgestone still makes 'em new
2) 180 treadwear
3) the noise...THE NOISE

One of them suffered sidewall damage due to a rim-bending incident with a runaway wheel chock. Replaced them with Toyo Proxes 4s, same size...and yep, 300 treadwear

Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
eldaino,
300 treadwear is plenty high enough for a performance tire IMO

I used to run Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Positions, 205/45R16. That was a phenomenal tire with unflappable grip in any Philippine road condition (read: no snow or ice but lots of rain). But three things knocked it for me:
1) it's rather old...mine were made 2001, not sure if Bridgestone still makes 'em new
2) 180 treadwear
3) the noise...THE NOISE

One of them suffered sidewall damage due to a rim-bending incident with a runaway wheel chock. Replaced them with Toyo Proxes 4s, same size...and yep, 300 treadwear
yeah i guess you're right! especially considering my falken 912's (which are loud as hell now but were very nice when i first got them) are high performance all seasons and have a rating of 360. i'm sure the extra handling prowress with the yokos will be wonderful.

i think bridgestone made a replacement for those tires...though i could not tell you what it was.

i remember edge racing carried toyo proxes 4, and i loved the tread design...but i cant seem to find those tires anywhere! how long did/are they lasting you?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Only Michelin I have ever had was the XGT V4 stock tires from a 2000 Integra GSR. Those are the WORST tires I have ever seen. Scary in any weather. They cost me my first car. I'll never buy Michelin tire.

Last edited by D50boy; 07-02-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by greygang
Any thoughts? comparisons?
my thoughts...dang, i'd be happy if i got over 25K off tires. any tires.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
My stock Michelins lasted almost 35K. I just replaced them 2 days ago with the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs Z1. I am so happy with these tires. The old tires would groan and squeal during any type of cornering. Now I can't even get them to make any noise. I can only compare the Dunlops to the other tires on my S2K (e.g. RE-01Rs, s.Drives, HTR ZIIIs, SO2s, Victoracers) and I would say these tires are as sticky as the RE-01Rs. Going to get a set for it as well.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
yeah i guess you're right! especially considering my falken 912's (which are loud as hell now but were very nice when i first got them) are high performance all seasons and have a rating of 360. i'm sure the extra handling prowress with the yokos will be wonderful.

i think bridgestone made a replacement for those tires...though i could not tell you what it was.

i remember edge racing carried toyo proxes 4, and i loved the tread design...but i cant seem to find those tires anywhere! how long did/are they lasting you?
I bought the Proxes 4s January this year. So far so good They're really all-season tires with some high performance characteristics, not all-out grip monsters, so it's a bit of a compromise. More of an S.drive competitor than a Direzza Star Spec one I'd say.

Regarding the S-02/PPs: Bridgestone made the S-03 and RE001 Adrenalin as replacements for those, both also on the Potenza lineup. Sadly there's no 205/45R16 size for the RE001 sold locally...and I'm not sure if they're sold there either.

I could get a set of the RE001s via "gray import" from a friend but it'd take a couple months. When you got sidewall damage on your only car, you won't be able to wait 2 or 3 months

Old 07-02-2009, 09:18 PM
HID Addict
i had to replace the front tires when it was just shy of 20k, theres many factors that come into play for your tire wear. i got tires that are made for traction, you see a fit driving by in heavy rain, thats me with grip monster tires lol somewhat :P

Old 07-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for their advice and knowledge. It's like entering another world - the world of tires. Very interesting journey.

I've decided to go with the new Goodrich - GForce, Super Sport, A/S - 195/55/15. $125 per tire, which included mounting, balance etc. It'll give me the traction in wet, plus some snow traction too. Hopefully a reasonably smooth ride, and I will be rotating tires in the future.

claudia & Greyhound Gang

Old 07-03-2009, 12:12 PM
i just got falken zeix 912's, there a million times better then those stupid dunlops.. i also had pirelli P4's that were ok. but this falkens are AMAZING!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by TekXoID
17,000 Miles and I've got 3/32 front 5/32 back. I was going to rotate but I figured F' it I'm getting Kumho Ecsta ASX's soon anyway. I hate the stock Dunlops.
Good idea. I have ran Kumho's on a ton of cars, and they last pretty long, have great grip, comfortable, controlled ride in any dirving condition, and they are dirt cheap. I have ran 712s, ASX on 3 cars, and other than that I run BFG G-Force on my accord. I will never run Michelins on a car ever again, or dunlops. I do however love Michelins on my RR, as the Pilot Power race tires are great. MXV4s are f'n garbage. You are 10x more likely to just slide out of a corner or not stop in time and end up in someones bumpers. I HATE those tires. They make the shitty dunlops on the fit feel like F1 tires.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 PM
kaydee

i have always felt that 20000 is pretty good for any tyre,the trade off is softer compounds wear faster but grip better,harder compounds last well and dont grip so well,i have a honda jazz (UK)have owned 4 by 4s,motor cycles and mountain bikes,same applies, if you drive hard go for grip ,if economy go harder,tyres really arent that expensive ,are they ?

Old 07-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by D50boy
Only Michelin I have ever had was the XGT V4 stock tires from a 2000 Integra GSR. Those are the WORST tires I have ever seen. Scary in any weather. They cost me my first car. I'll never buy Michelin tire.
michelin tires are pretty good, just those shitty triangle tires arent haha

Old 07-14-2009, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
I ran my 175/65R14s to ~24,000 miles and then ditched them to put winter tires on the OEM steel rims. They could probably have gone another season but it wasn't worth the cost of having them mounted/unmounted again.

For summer tires I'm running 185/60R15 Falken 912s on EP3 rims.

I was going to get Michelin Harmonys but the Falken 912s were half the price and I don't really need all-seasons because I have the winter tires.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm actually just getting ready to get new tires in the front. 38,000 miles on an '08 Fit Sport, not too bad. I could actually go maybe 5,000 more on them but I'm a big fan of traction and we've been getting a lot of rain lately...

As to how I drive, I'm a hypermiler so I tend to take turns hard and in neutral. I guess all things considered I've been pretty lucky with these tires. Of course, I cannot stress enough how important it is to ROTATE ROTATE ROTATE!

Old 09-06-2009, 08:29 AM
I got 64k out of mine, all the "tread" is gone although i dont think it had a whole lot to begin with. There are no lugs of any sort left on it, of course im not down to the wear line yet in the radial groove, but i just spent an evening hydroplaning home from seattle. after reading this tread im definatly not going with the stock dunlops again. Arrgh, also going to need brakes soon. Oh Joy.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:42 PM
im about to beat all of you...

2008 Base AT

after 12,000 I need new tires...

Old 09-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I need tires at 25k, but I typically drive like an asshole.

Don't forget people, the factory SP31s are designed specifically for fuel economy on Honda's more fuel-efficient models, like the Fit and the Insight and Civic Hybrid.

Per Tire Rack:
Dunlop SP31 A/S

The stock tires are actually pretty decent for grip IMO, but they're by far the noisiest tire I've ever driven on. My Fit with worn SP31s is as noisy as my Subaru is with bad wheel bearings.

I'm replacing them with Direzza DZ101s, largely because Dunlop was offering a $60 rebate on them in August.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 PM
The one and only thing that Michelin MXMV4 tires have to recommend them is that they seem to be constructed from cast iron. I had a set as OE on my Hyundai Elantra that simply would not wear. But my God they were terrifying in all conditions, probably made me a better driver.... My Dunlops were toast at 28K as well, trust me there are lots of better tires out there. I went with Nitto Neo Gen in 205-50-15, and love them!

Quick Reply: Need new tires after only 28,000 miles