1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Need new tires after only 28,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Need new tires after only 28,000 miles

Has anyone else run into this with their Fit?
Bought car new. I can't believe these tires aren't going to get 40,000. I thought that was the standard for mileage on tires. Am I dreaming that?

Any thoughts? comparisons?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
welcome to the freaky family, and welcome to the utah fit family (if you want)
tires depend on the way they are driven, starting and stopping alot does them no good and here in utah with our extreme climate, (cold in the morning and hot as he!! in the afternoon) will also effect the tires, i'm not sure about the roads in kanab but our roads in the city (salt lake) are pretty bad, i sell tires all day long and the first thing i tell people is that the tire rating is an estimate and meant for perfect conditions, having your tires rotated everyother oil change will help them last longer,and if you buy cheap you get cheap <--- weird how that happens
buy bridgestones and keep them balanced and rotated, you'll get alot of miles out of them.
unless you track your car like we (keepitpg, myself, and blazeorangefittuner) did, hell keepitpg just replaced his 08 org. dunlops at 11,000 miles because of it, but the fun we had was worth wearing out two pair for me (both my sets of rims have falken tires, and both need replaced S O O N) the orange fit in the pic has my wheels on it off my crx

Last edited by vtecfit1; 06-16-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
I'm getting about the same mileage out of my tires. I have just under 24000 miles. I figure that I may be able to go another 6000-8000 miles. I don't drive aggressive at all, and I rotate regularly. My wife's 2000 Nissan Xterra went over 60000 on its original set of BF Goodrich tires. I just replaced the tires (fourth set) a couple of months ago, but the second and third set didn't last anywhere near as long as the original ones. The third set were accompanied by new shocks as well. I had original Bridgestone Potenza RE040's on my Mazdaspeed Protege. They lasted about 17000 miles; of course, they gripped like crazy.

David - Dallas, TX
07 tw Sport
91 NX2000

Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 PM
What great pictures. I rescue greyhounds from race tracks, so I tend to not visit them.

I called the Honda Dealer I bought car from in St. George. He said - I didn't rotate my tires anywhere near where I should have. Also alignment. But i mean 12,000 miles less just from that?

Big lesson learned.

So Mr. Tire man, i've been researching tires, and I'm all confused now. I never knew there were so many variables. Obviously, i'll stick with the regular size - 195/55R15/84H - whatever all those numbers mean

I do a lot of driving from Kanab to Washington state. Put on about 15,000 miles a year. I need tires that do NOT hydroplane. I don't intend to be on the road in the winter, except for local driving down here. We've gotten more snow in the past few years, and there were 2 days i couldn't get out of my driveway cause the Fit got stuck on a little bitty ice patch. Silly Fit.
Is there a specific brand of Bridgestone you recommend. Most people tell me Michelin or Goodyear. Plus there are tires out there now, specifically to get better mileage I've been told. do they work. I'm only getting around 33 mpg in my Fit.

thanks for your help.
claudia
An Introduction to Greyhound Gang

Old 06-16-2009, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
well i'm not a tire salesman so to speak, but i sell parts at a honda deakership in salt lake and buy probably 5 sets of tires a week for any car that needs them in our shop, accords, pilots, crv's, civics, etc. i don't think i've ever had to buy tires for a fit besides my own and that was because i was putting lightweight wheels on it (i still have stockies in the garage) the people you talk to are right when they say michelin tires are good, but you pay a priemium price for then (remember buy cheap get cheap!) well if you spend alot you get alot when it come to tires! BUT YOU HAVE TO KEEP UP ON THE ROTATION AND BALANCING, i know you know this now i read your post
i'm partial to bridgestone because i love rallying all the cars i have ever owned, i rarely get over 30,000 miles out of any tires on any of my cars but they make a hell of a potenza tire and i'm sure they make a good touring tire too, they have really good features
UNI-T AQ : DUAL-LAYER TREAD

Our Dual-Layer Tread structure exposes high-grip rubber as wear progresses. We use a hybrid tread structure with two kinds of rubber in the tread.
The two kinds of rubber used in Dual-Layer Tread design both contain EPC. But we employ a higher-grip rubber for the base layer under the cap (shown in red in the diagrams). And we shape the base layer to mound up under each of the tread blocks. So as the tread wears down, the higher grip rubber underneath is exposed. The higher-grip rubber helps minimize the effects of wear. It also helps maintain more consistent wet braking and handling throughout the life of the tire. And it helps prevent the increase in noise levels that tends to occur as tire tread wears away.
After 50% of tread has worn away ...
Wear exposes the higher-grip rubber of the base layer, located under the cap, which helps maintain more consistent wet braking and handling as the tire wears.
After 70% of the tread has worn away ...
The mounded shape of the base layer ensures broader amounts of high-grip rubber become exposed as the tire wears away.
Note: The red coloration of the base layer in these diagrams is for purposes of explanation and illustration only. It does not indicate the actual color of the rubber in the tire.

i love this technology and several ohers they offer in their tires, you also spoke of lower rolling resistance tires, i have bought them for customers but it's still too early to see if the tech pans out, but i will say this"goodyear has a tire called fuelmax and they clain a 4 percent increase in fuel ecomomy" thats an extra 12 miles on a tank of gas if your only getting 30mpg, not a big selling point to me. lower your car an inch and you'd see that kind of gain in my book

any tire you buy will net better wear if you keep up on rotations and stuff, an alignment never hurts either and keeping the air consistant and at around 35psi will help too
wow i rambled there didn't i? hey you also travel thru salt lake alot i see if you drive to WA state, we "UTAH FITS" get together a couple times a month and chit chat , bbq, and work on our cars (mostly wash) if your blowing thru here swing by and say hi, i'd love to see your grey hounds, but i'll never own a strech of land that could support one. but think they are beautiful - here is a link to the crazy utah community
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/utah-community/

Last edited by vtecfit1; 06-16-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Tires are rated differently for treadwear - that should give you a rough idea of the differences between the life of one set of tires and another.

As others have said there are lots of variables: how you drive, the temperature, the condition of the roads you use, the compound of the rubber in the tires themselves...just to name a few.

As for 195/55R15 84H
195 = tread width in millimeters (mm)
55 = aspect ratio, the sidewall height as a percentage of the tread width (195 mm x 0.55 = 107.25 mm sidewall)
R = radial tire construction...all tires are radial now
15 = the wheel size this tire fits, in inches
84 = load rating
H = speed rating

Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Well the only problem with buying tires for the fit in the stock size is that there is not too many options for the factory size. I work for bridgestone/firestone and i'm pretty sure that the only non snow tire that we have in that size is the potenza re92 which is a really good tire but i feel is very over priced and a rather soft tire (meaning it will grip nicely but will not last too long) I would try looking for tires in a 205/50R15. the overall size is a little wider and will mount up nicely and is about the same overall diameter. But it opens up many more tire options. If your looking for a good long lasting tire with good ride quality in mind i would recomend the Yokohama Avid T4's or the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 the Yokohama will last longer but if your willing to spend the money the Michelin's have a great ride and are overall pehominal tires. I currently run Bridgestone Potenza RE11, which is a very soft summer tire and I must say they are really good in the rain. I can't say much for the ride as it is a performance tire but i have gone through some really big ponds in the middle of the highway with the upmost confidence, and control. (I apologise for shooting in many different tangents while writing this) Good luck with your search, and I hope i was helpful.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Hey i run 40psi all year long on stocl tires and im at 2/32nds miles are at 40,500 rotate every other oil change good luck.but these stock tires love to slide n the rain .

Old 06-28-2009, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
I called the Honda Dealer I bought car from in St. George. He said - I didn't rotate my tires anywhere near where I should have. Also alignment. But i mean 12,000 miles less just from that?
Just noticed this...

Yep our cars seem to eat through their front tires much more voraciously than the rears, so rotation is good for distributing the wear evenly. One explanation for this I observed is heat.

After a long drive or a spell of high-speed cruising in fair weather, the temperature differential between the front and rear wheels alone is huge. It's pretty consistent too how the front wheels have scorched my fingers while the rears stayed pretty cool

Why do they get so hot? I think it's because of the front-wheel-drive design (the front tires do all the work, braking, accelerating and turning) and the ~65% front weight bias of the car. Imagine how much of that wheel heat gets transferred to the tires, and you have a pretty good idea of how important tire rotation is for our Fits/Jazzes.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:27 PM
try the 04-08 acura tls with the turanza tires, ive seen them go as low as 4000 miles.. people gotta take care of their tires

Old 06-28-2009, 10:30 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
i just got a new set at just over 45k,
had it since november 07-

Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm not a young guy and my Fit is my 23rd new car (give or take). While I admit that my experience is strictly anecdotal and not statistical by any means, I have found that tires on new cars tend to wear much faster than the same tire purchased from a tire store. Why? Do the tire manufacturers use a cheaper compound for car manufacturers so that they can be sold cheaper? I haven't a clue. But I do know that every one of those new cars that I purchased since 1972 has had the same problem - quicker tire wear from manufacturer supplied tires. The replacement tires tend to last much, much longer.

IMHO, the speed of wear has less to do with proper rotation (although that CAN be a very valid concern, you do have to rotate tires properly and on time) and more to do with the fact that the tires were supplied by the manufacturer. No real basis in fact for this statement, just an opinion based on years of limited observation...

FWIW.

Last edited by TheSaint; 06-29-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
dhk
5 Year Member
I have 19000 miles on my original tires and have only 3/32 of tread left. I got a nail in one of them and none of the tires stores I tried would fix it. They all want to sell me a new set of tires. So, I fixed it myself with a "Gorilla Grip" tire repair kit from Kragan. Worked fine. I'm surprised at how fast these tires have worn out. I'm also rather surprised at how few options there are for tires of this size (195/55/R15).

I'm going to need new tires in a few thousand miles anyway. Any recommendations for replacements?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM
http://www.michelinman.com/action/ti...t&option=Sport
http://www.michelinman.com/tires/win...ice-xi2/47284/
michelin year after year gets the best ratings on their tires all around....to bad they dont make the mxv4+ for the stock fit wheels. but the tires i linked to will grip on just about any kind of weather condition if you do long distance driving in all kinds of weather.

goodyear also makes good tires in your size... the eagle response edge http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...5&sidewall=VSB
and the eagle GT which has one heck of a tread pattern http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...estFrom=Search

Last edited by artieman; 06-29-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:52 PM
17,000 Miles and I've got 3/32 front 5/32 back. I was going to rotate but I figured F' it I'm getting Kumho Ecsta ASX's soon anyway. I hate the stock Dunlops.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
the stock dunlops are notorious for wearing quickly. mine lasted less than 30k as well.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
try the 04-08 acura tls with the turanza tires, ive seen them go as low as 4000 miles.. people gotta take care of their tires
very good advice...but it wont change the fact that honda is known for shodding its cars with crappy tires from the factory. (the exception being the summer tires available for the si, but they dont last.)

Old 06-29-2009, 04:54 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by billmus86
i just got a new set at just over 45k,
had it since november 07-
Originally Posted by eldaino
the stock dunlops are notorious for wearing quickly. mine lasted less than 30k as well.
ps i had the duns -
had almost all the miles put in up in CT - and new englandyish areas -
a few trips back and forth to FL tho, and now here for another 5k or so.
i was pleased with them

Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by billmus86
ps i had the duns -
had almost all the miles put in up in CT - and new englandyish areas -
a few trips back and forth to FL tho, and now here for another 5k or so.
i was pleased with them

you are one of the few my friend.

these are the same tires on the civic hybrid and i just thought they were terrible even for an all season.

this was with constant care and affection too. glad they worked for ya though, i would wish my experience on anyone.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by artieman
Find Tires by Vehicle: MICHELIN&#xAE; Automotive Tires: Michelin Tires
X-Ice&#xAE; Xi2: Browse Tires in Winter: MICHELIN&#xAE; Automotive Tires: Michelin Tires
michelin year after year gets the best ratings on their tires all around....to bad they dont make the mxv4+ for the stock fit wheels. but the tires i linked to will grip on just about any kind of weather condition if you do long distance driving in all kinds of weather.
They don't seem to wear very well though. My stock tires were Michelin Vivacys, 175/65R14 82H. As OEM tires they're not very good, and were particularly bad under braking - very easy to induce lockup on my non-ABS Jazz.

Maybe I should try their other touring or performance tires but the 240 treadwear rating I've seen on most of their tires kind of puts me off.

Just my two cents...anyway glad to know they make a reliable winter tire for you guys in colder climes.

Quick Reply: Need new tires after only 28,000 miles