1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

60000 mile maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 PM
60000 mile maintenance.

Hi guys I'm closing to 60k and I'm planning to take my car to the dealership for this maintenance. Question is what do they do? Can this be a DIY or it will be better if I take it to the dealership? How much is the average cost for our GD3's since the mechanic do not have a timing belt to replace?

What should I look for so they don't BS me?

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
You need to do what your maintenance minder tells you to do. Anything else is your dealer ripping you off.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
You may want to have the valves adjusted. Other than that, You can top up fluids and replace the cabin and engine air filters on you own. If you end up needing to top up your coolant, just make sure you buy Honda coolant. I made that mistake and ended up having to flush the system after using the wrong stuff.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Okay thanks for the response. How about the transmission fluid?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Personally I'd change the tranny fluid at 60k. Honda recommends it *if* you drive at low speeds on hills regularly, otherwise at 100k or 120k, I don't remember.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking of adjusting the valves myself. I've seen this procedure before done in my previous car and it seems pretty easy but i will still need a DIY guide for the Fit or similar vehicle.

As for the tranny, I drive mostly at high speed around 50-63mph which are for the highways going to work.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
So I did some searching and can't find any threads dedicated to the 60k mile service for the GD (outside this one), what exactly do I need to do? I'd rather not take the car to a stealership.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
i would just change filters tranny filter tranny oil brake oil clutch fluid if stick and for the hell of it coolant and thermostat

Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
At 68,000 miles on my 08 standard automatic Fit, I just has the oil & filter changed, tires rotated and transmission fluid changed. Total was $138 with all taxes and fees included. That was the b13 service.
Gregg

Old 02-26-2013, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
2 bottles of transmission fluid should run you about 16$. I would recommend trying the Amsoil synchromesh. I went with the honda brand and was slightly disappointed. Honda coolant is about 20$ for a bottle so you can just drain it and fill her up. Bleeding brakes looks pretty straightforward, I will be doing that along with a valve clearance adjustment this summer.

You can DIY and save hundreds in labor. If you have a mechanic you trust, getting the car checked is not a bad idea. My mechanic must miss me ever since I got my Fit lol

Old 02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
To hell with the Maintenance Minder. Ditto the dealer.

Do This:

1) Check the valve clearances.

2) Replace engine oil, tranny oil. Not a bad idea to flush and replace coolant and brake fluid.

3) Check brake pads and drums.

4) Replace engine air filter and cabin air filter.

5) Inspect tie rod ends, CV boots and generally have a look at things.

6) Inspect serpentine belt.

7) Replace spark plugs.

8) Rotate tires every 10k miles.

You can do all of this yourself. (Maybe you don't think you can, but you can.)

Others here will say that you don't have to do some of the above. But it's not their car, is it?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marrk

Do This:

2) Replace engine oil, tranny oil. Not a bad idea to flush and replace coolant and brake fluid.

7) Replace spark plugs.

Others here will say that you don't have to do some of the above. But it's not their car, is it?
Can you elaborate on how you would go about checking the drum brakes? Also, how would you do number five and six?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
2 bottles of transmission fluid should run you about 16$. I would recommend trying the Amsoil synchromesh. I went with the honda brand and was slightly disappointed. Honda coolant is about 20$ for a bottle so you can just drain it and fill her up. Bleeding brakes looks pretty straightforward, I will be doing that along with a valve clearance adjustment this summer.

You can DIY and save hundreds in labor. If you have a mechanic you trust, getting the car checked is not a bad idea. My mechanic must miss me ever since I got my Fit lol
Ten or maybe even five years ago, I would have agreed with you. I was really into cars, mostly Chevelles, up until about 10 years ago. But you finally reach an age where doing it yourself is not worth the discomfort afterwards.
Yes, I could have done all of the maintenance myself for maybe $40 out of my pocket, and spent the whole day doing it. You will come to a time in your life where spending the extra $100 is worth it, to have some one else do it.

Gregg

Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
Can you elaborate on how you would go about checking the drum brakes? Also, how would you do number five and six?

Drum Brakes: Jack up the rear wheels. Release the parking brake. Remove the wheel. Pull off the drum. Examine the crescent shaped "shoes" for wear. At 60k, you shouldn't need to replace anything, but you could take some compressed air and blow out the brake dust.

Serpentine Belt: It is almost completely obscured by other stuff, but, as best as you can, get your eyes on it. Look for cracks and/or wear. No mystery here. Just obvious stuff.

Replace Spark Plugs: When you have everything off to do the valves, replace the spark plugs with new ones. Gap the new ones first. And, before you start, make sure you have the right size spark plug socket. Use anti-seize on the new spark plugs' threads.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
THANK YOU. This is what I came here looking for, after calling 4 different places (including 2 dealers) and getting 4 different answers. I had already decided "To hell with the Maintenance Minder. Ditto the dealer," but desperately needed the rest.

Originally Posted by Marrk

Do This:

7) Replace spark plugs.